Hypnic Jerk

Hypnic Jerk - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 4th Mar, 2010 - 11:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

22nd Feb, 2010 - 2:52am / Post ID: #

Hypnic Jerk

Did it ever happened to you when you are relaxed and kind of falling asleep, you suddenly start shaking your legs or whole body and wake up? Well, the term for this is called Hypnotic jerk:

international QUOTE
The neurological reason for hypnic jerks is not fully understood, although the two dominant theories suggest that as a subject's heartbeat and breathing slow down, hypnic jerks occur as a natural part of muscular transition; or that as a subject falls asleep, their muscles begin to relax and cease working, causing the brain to believe that the body must be falling through air. It is thought that this causes people to thrash their limbs in an attempt to catch something or turn oneself upright.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Mar, 2010 - 6:01pm / Post ID: #

Hypnic Jerk
A Friend

Jerk Hypnic

I have had that before. It has happened when I was falling asleep and also deep asleep dreaming of falling. It is interesting that they tied the two of them together in this study. It has been happen less since I have gotten older, slowing at about 40 and almost gone at 50 plus.

4th Mar, 2010 - 11:14pm / Post ID: #

Hypnic Jerk Health & Special Psychology

I get this the most when I'm falling to sleep on myself and suddenly I just jump up. I figured it has to do with the last conscious thing I was doing and the subconscious says to my conscious wait you're supposed to be doing... Then you suddenly get up, Thanks for the technical term though I will have to remember that - hypnic jerks, sounds like if you fall asleep on yourself you're a jerk wink.gif.

4th Mar, 2010 - 11:47pm / Post ID: #

Jerk Hypnic

I think this may be related to hypnogogia, hallucinations that occur when waking up. If you're dreaming in this state, I'd say what you're seeing is being treated as real and personal by your own perceptions, so you actually react physically as if receiving physical stimulus - I'd say the curious part is why it is pretty much always the same state, the falling, that causes this - it is similar to the hypnogogic sleep paralysis state, where it is common to feel "evil" around you, see figures, feel like you're being watched, but be unable to move, etc.

> TOPIC: Hypnic Jerk

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,