The Goth Culture

The Goth Culture - Studies of Dreams, Mystics, Paranormal - Posted: 20th Jun, 2009 - 5:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

How define 'Goth'? If you have the answer then please share it here.
The Goth Culture Related Information to The Goth Culture
  • Goth Fashion - Will it ever be popular?
  • Goth / Gothic - Word Development
  • Goth Movies
  • Goth Teens
  • Gothic Music
  • Heavy Metal & Punk
  • Sterotyped
  • Body Piercings & Tattoos - (Requires Mature Status)
  • Post Date: 5th Mar, 2006 - 1:03am / Post ID: #

The Goth Culture

THE GOTH CULTURE

What do you think about the Modern-Day Goth Culture practised by many humans who choose to dress and dabble in the 'darker' side of things? Is being Goth a religion, a style, a fashion statement, an art form or is it something aligned to evil? What is your point of view on THE GOTH CULTURE?

For Research:
    https://www.religioustolerance.org/goth.htm

Definitions:
    https://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en...n&q=define:goth

The Goth Culture
    The Goth Culture (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
    Post Date: 5th Mar, 2006 - 1:54pm / Post ID: #

The Goth Culture
    A Friend

Culture Goth The

My view on modern goth culture is that it is simply a way of being different from everyone else. Goth kids usually, at least when I was in high school, view themselves as outcasts and throw aways. This is there way of protesting societies views and being unique. I don't view it as a religious thing, but definitely a social thing. Goth separates people from what is definitely considered normal. If you just an average kid in sports and academics, then goth can be considered a way to be different from everyone else. In a world in which we are so "christianized", and so many cultures put emphasis on religion, goth stands out as an alternative. As so many see it as evil, ridiculously equating the color black with evil, goth stands out and turns heads. I obviously don't see it as an evil thing, but as a social statement.

Post Date: 28th Mar, 2006 - 7:14am / Post ID: #

The Goth Culture
    A Friend

The Goth Culture Paranormal & Mystics Dreams Studies

I would agree with that, it's definately a social statement. Not a way to make yourself an outcast (as most goths would have you believe), but more a way to fit in. Trying to be different, just like everyone else . . . .

More than that, though, goth is about the darkness. In every subculture--goth, punk, emo, hippie, computer geek, whatever--you find those that are in it for the sense of belonging . . . the "fashion statement," so to speak . . . and those that are in it because they really are that way.

Not that that's a bad thing . . . .

My personal take on the "true" goth culture is that it stems from the mindset that darkness is not evil; it is in fact beautiful. Things that aren't "pretty" are often underappreciated . . . it takes something special to see through the shadows and uncover the greatness within. It's all about the mystery, the enticement of that which is hidden from plain sight . . . and nothing makes things harder to see than turning the lights off.

Darkness brings a unique sence of intimacy. Imagine you're in a dark place with your lover, doing "grown up" things. You can't see them, which creates lonliness, isolation, solitude. Yet you still feel closer to them than you ever could with the lights on, and you don't understand how.

Darkness -> solitude -> intimacy -> love. Solitude -> pain -> suffering. Darkness and suffering both represent love.

It's not your typical butterflies-and-picnics idea of romance, but it is VERY romantic. More in the give-you-my-dying-breath sort of way. Romeo and Juliet? VERY goth.

Coming back to that "hidden" thing . . . that's exactly the reason why I DON'T dress up in black when I go out. Dressing up seems to be showing it off. Showing it off isn't hiding it. I'm probably more goth in my Hawaiian shirts than ANY of the "spooky" people in my hometown.

Post Date: 27th Nov, 2008 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

Culture Goth The

Name: Phill

Comments: I've been Goth for about 5 years now, I'm nearly 19. And for me, being Goth has been a way of life, about moralistic code and honour, and more particularly within it, the acceptance I has for everybody, no matter who you are, just as ling as you are nice. I'm not depressive, I just dress in black, where eye shadow, massive boots, and like Rock generally speaking, and would rather be dark looking and and energetic personality instead of the stereotype created by the media and the mini-goths, laugh.gif. it's just another part of who I am. And despite peoples remarks and violent attacks against Goths, it doesn't sway me, if anything it makes me more determined not to give up who I am for te sake of what other people think.

You can't really define "Goth", it's like saying; "How do you define British" because it is just as multi-racial, musically, and spiritually diverse.

It seems to me that Goths make themselves look like what other people may consider evil, probably in respect to this whole acceptance code of honour practically all Goths share. But don't quote me on that, as I say, it's so diverse you can't just define it with a few simple words. The only reall definition is that; if you call yourself Goth, then you are basically.

14th Dec, 2008 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

Culture Goth The

And despite peoples remarks and violent attacks against Goths

What violent attacks? Now one has ever threatened me because of my look. What do they tell you Phill?

20th Jun, 2009 - 4:02pm / Post ID: #

The Goth Culture

I think that there are many facets to that culture, just like there are many denominations in the Christian church, such as Catholicism and the like. That way, true gothic is hard to define, just like true Christian. (Except for the whole "basic rule" thing in Christianity.)

In some cases, the gothic culture is a celebration of all things dark and beautiful. They are embracing what others have feared for so long: the mysticism and idealogies that come with the other side and the unknown. Clothing is only a part of self-expression; music is only a part of becoming closer to who you really are. And to be totally honest, I know why they think that.

But does anyone here remember the Visigoths from about 4th grade history? (Yeah, I've forgotten them too, but as I am writing this, I am also viciously Googling everything I can about the Visigoths.) Their name used to mean the "good" or the "noble" people. The Ostrogoths were the people of the "rising sun;" one was western, or visi, while the other was eastern, or ostro. During their existence, the Roman Empire was also at the peak of their strength.

As relating back the Goths of old Germany, I think that what the Gothic culture was supposed to be was one of natural and pagan worship, along with the old strength to fight against those who tried to suppress it (a.k.a, everyone has their Roman Empire.)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
    20th Jun, 2009 - 5:41pm / Post ID: #

The Goth Culture

I think the gothic crew is cool. They bring a different feel to any group. I'm talking about the casual ones not the weird ones. I'm trying not to stereotype but there are some goths who just act strange and don't talk to no one. Then theres the ones that you know dress in black and all but they're pretty much like everyone else.

> TOPIC: The Goth Culture

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
    Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
    This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,