The N Word

The Word - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 20th Mar, 2006 - 6:28am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 19th Mar, 2006 - 3:23pm / Post ID: #

The N Word
A Friend

The N Word

The use of the N word has become more common in everday conversation. It is used mainly with the African American crowd. Although I've heard the N word used by Hispanics. I think the comedian Richard Pryor made the N word popular in the 70's. Do you all get offended when you hear this word being thrown around in public during conversation ?

Sponsored Links:
19th Mar, 2006 - 9:20pm / Post ID: #

Word The

Well, I am not a native English speaker so there are really few words that can get me offended or uncomfortable, I suppose because I have not grown up listening English 24/7. The N word is something that bothers me but I do not understand yet how people get offended when someone calls them that word and yet the same person calls another friend of the same race by that name. I don't get it. If the word is so bad then why do they do it within themselves but it is wrong when someone uses it? or is something about the tone of the word than anything else?

19th Mar, 2006 - 11:52pm / Post ID: #

The N Word UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

This is a topic of discussion that I have had with my wife on numerous occasions, and it makes no sense to me either. As was pointed out already in this thread, when blacks use the N word to refer to other blacks, for most of them, it is ok. If a non-black person even says it once, the black person is offended. At least this is how it is here in the US.
If the non-black tries to defend themselves and argue this very same point, the black person states that the non-black does not understand, and that they are being disrespectful.
For those blacks who do not like the word AND do not use the word, they state that the word represents the oppression that their people suffered when they were slaves. They don't agree with others of their own race using the word, and using it loosely, to describe others of their race, because they feel it portrays the wrong message to non-blacks that the word is ok to use. I agree with this, and this makes the most sense. However, the majority of blacks in this country feel the opposite way, and continue to use the word, in every day banter and discussion.
I grew up in Trinidad, where there are a lot of East Indians, or people of East Indian descent. I was one of those. While growing up, I learned of a derogatory word that is used for those of my descent. The word was 'coolie' (sp?). Now, for me or someone of my family to be called that was bad. I didn't go around calling my fellow East Indian friends coolies, because I knew how hurtful it was. Why would I call someone of my fellow race a word, that represented so much oppression, if I myself didn't want to be referred to in that way by another race? The same, I believe, holds true for the N word, and I have yet to hear a logical, sensible argument, that explains why the N word should be allowed in some instances and not in others.

Post Date: 20th Mar, 2006 - 2:26am / Post ID: #

The N Word
A Friend

Word The

I think the problem in this situation is that Black Americans no longer truly understand their roots. That word was created as a complete insult to slaves. It is a degrading and was meant to imply that the person is lesser of a human being than you are. Young kids don't even know why they are offended by it, but they obviously don't understand its history and implications because they continue to call other black americans by that name. Its not cool, its not a "black thing" its an insult related to the black african slaves to their white master. I find it offensive and utterly insane that it is used with such ignorance.

Post Date: 20th Mar, 2006 - 6:28am / Post ID: #

The N Word
A Friend

Word The

This is true Konquererz. A lot of African Americans today are lost and don't know their roots. The Nation Of Islam has always said todays youths are lost and don't know their roots. That's the only view I agree with , when dealing with the Nation Of Islam. I'm just glad my father taught me about black history at home or I would of been one of the lost ones.

> TOPIC: The N Word

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,