God A Man - Page 2 of 4

QUOTE I am Mormon, but not LDS Explain to - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Dec, 2008 - 10:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
20th Nov, 2008 - 7:16am / Post ID: #

God A Man - Page 2

QUOTE (revival)
who is his God according to Mormon belief.

We don't have that information available to us at the moment, but I'm sure it will be revealed in due time.

What we *do* know is that Jesus Christ stated clearly that everything He had done (or had yet to do), His Father had done also. This is the foundation of our belief that God has a physical body of flesh and bone, just as the Savior does.

Sponsored Links:
21st Nov, 2008 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Man God

You are saying that Jesus' father also came and died on the cross?

24th Nov, 2008 - 6:17am / Post ID: #

God A Man Studies Doctrine Mormon

You are saying that Jesus' father also came and died on the cross?

This has not been revealed., as far as I know.

But Jesus is saying that he is doing that which his Father has done. We hold that God the Father is a Resurrected Being like Jesus Christ.

We believe that Christ was resurrected and currently has a body of Flesh and Bone as he declared in the Holy Bible.

Luke 24: 39
  39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

We believe that Jesus Christ retained his body and is God the Son with a Body of Flesh and Bones. We also hold that God is a Resurrected Being and is the Father of Jesus Christ, and Jesus out of his perfect love and respect submitted his own will to that of his Father. See Matt. 26: 42

We hold that God did in fact eons ago live on another world as Jesus lived on ours, but that he was resurrected and currently is the only God that we have to answer to. There is no other beings, besides God the Father, His son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit that we are responsible to and that we hold as our God.

But he is a God that we can talk to, that can talk to us, one that we will, if we are faithful, see and will embrace as we would our Earthly Father (but with a much greater love then we have ever felt on this earth). We can have a perfect relationship with him because he is, like the Savior Jesus Christ a man as well as a God. He is our God in whose image we were created, and who we consider to be our Father.

So it is not wrong to say God is a man (though a perfect and exalted man), any more then to say that Jesus Christ is a Man as well as a God.

24th Nov, 2008 - 6:24pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Man God

So in other words Jesus' heavenly father was also resurrected just as he was, but you say this was not revealed, so then what would be the purpose of god being resurrected unless he were a man like us. If he were a man like us then it means he once sinned unless he were like Jesus and did not sin. That is way too complicated. It seems like the Mormons try to humanize god?

24th Nov, 2008 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

Man God

If he were a man like us then it means he once sinned unless he were like Jesus and did not sin.

I don't think it's all that complicated. Of course, it means like Jesus. Jesus stated several times that he did (or would do) only what he saw his Father do.
John 14:9 (in part) - he that hath seen me hath seen the Father;
(and others to follow up later - see note below)

It seems like the Mormons try to humanize god?

No, actually. Father in Heaven is trying to deify us. We are commanded to be like him:
Matt. 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.;
John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
  22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one.
2 Nephi 31:12 (in part) - wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.

Rather off topic, but...
I'll have to follow up later when I have more time to look up the references; I'm just on my lunch break.

24th Nov, 2008 - 9:02pm / Post ID: #

God A Man

It seems like the Mormons try to humanize god?

True, it does seem that way.

Other faiths, namely Muslims and Jews, have been saying for centuries that Christians at large have humanized God. It is a core doctrine of Christianity that Christ came down as a Man to suffer as man (and God) to die to redeem mankind. Under trinitarian views God and Christ and the Holy Spirit are one entity but three essences. (Nicene creed) therefore God was once a Man but is now God (Christ, being resurrected into a Physical body, must still have that body, or it must have been discarded at one point if God is now Only a spirit). I realize there are little comparisons to the doctrine of God being once a Man on another world, but there are parallels.

The Doctrine that God was once a Man is a little understood Doctrine (as we do not understand the life that he lived) and all things have not been revealed pertaining this doctrine. We do know that God the Father is a resurrected perfected man (as Christ is) and has a body of Flesh and Bones. He is all powerful, all knowing, and his influence is over all of his creations. He is God in any definition of the word.

We believe that God is the God of more worlds then there are sands of the see and has has been God for many billions (if not more) of years (the age of the known Universe).

Now onto the discussion of God once being a man.Is it really that impossible to believe that if God is our Father, As is implies throughout the Holy Scriptures, that we do not have some familial connection to him. The Bible declares, without any reservations that we are his offspring.

Acts 17:29

29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

From The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary defining offspring

offspring off·spring (ôf'sprĭng')
n.
1. The progeny or descendants of a person, an animal, or a plant considered as a group.
2. A child of particular parentage.

What does this mean, except that we are God's Children and that he is the Father of our Spirits? If we are his Children, then it is not so far fetched to believe that he is also a Man (again as Christ is a perfected , but infinitely more advanced and powerful Man)

Would it bother you that much if you learned That God is an Exalted Man who is also the Almighty God?
Does it bother you that Christ is a resurrected perfect man who is also a God?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Dec, 2008 - 6:54pm / Post ID: #

God A Man
A Friend

God Man - Page 2

I am getting into this late, but do have some thoughts that you should consider. I am Mormon, but not LDS. I only speak for myself.

A person can believe the Bible, every word of it, and fully accept the Mormon faith. But a person cannot accept the Creeds and be Mormon.

In the Mormon faith, the creeds, developed by philosophers, were added for political purposes to the Bible understanding in defiance of Rev 22:18 . They are not correct.

The Mormon faith also has further understanding to better understand the Bible-- but it comes from the same source as the Bible itself: The Word of the Lord to the Prophets of Israel.

In the creedal Trinity understanding, God is an infinite, immaterial, uncreated, inconceivable being outside of time and space that created all things out of nothing. Jesus is this God and at the same time the finite, begotten human Jesus of Nazareth.

In the Mormon faith, there is just one Jesus, the one in the Bible. He is not something totally different at the same time. He is a being we can conceive of becoming like, because we can read about his life and he was not so different than us.

So how can the finite, begotten Jesus be the Almighty God without being something else at the same time? Because he is united in heart and mind with His eternal Father: a being who is finite, who also lived on an earth and overcame all things, but is now resurrected and perfect.

And ultimately, God is an INFINITE family union of resurrected, exalted men and women who are finite and in a state of eternal progression.

However, the INFINITE eternal union itself is not progressing: it eternally has all power, all knowledge, all perfection.

So there is really only ONE God, but God is not one personage: God is an INFINITE family of perfect beings like ourselves from previous earths. Those who become Joint Heirs with Christ, such as Abraham and Sarah, will be one with this union and share in its Eternal work and glory. They will be gods.

I have tried to express the essence of my Mormon faith. The Book of Mormon does not teach what I have said, but it does teach the path to gain the Gift of the Holy Ghost, which leads to these truths and much, much more truth.

8th Dec, 2008 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

God Man Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I am Mormon, but not LDS

Explain to me more about that please.

God is an INFINITE family of perfect beings like ourselves from previous earths.

This is a new to me, but you say the Book of Mormon does not teach this, so it is not part of the Mormon church's beliefs?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: God A Man

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,