It Is Impossible For Men To Become Gods.

It Impossible Men Gods - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Sep, 2013 - 1:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

16th Apr, 2008 - 12:47am / Post ID: #

I believe that it is impossible to become a god.

Now that I have your attention, let me explain my theory. I believe that doctrine of the Church is that we may become like our Heavenly Father, not that we will someday become gods.

LDS Doctrine states that God has always been God (isaiah 43:10), as he is an eternal being( as we are eternal beings) He was God from the time that he was in previous states (though in a less developed form). He never "became God" per say, but fulfilled the measure of his creation as a Son of God.

We are not on this Earth to become gods, as we are in fact God's in Embryo. Thus we can only digress toward darkness or progress toward fully developed Gods.

My argument would be that the Embryo in the Womb is in fact a Human being, has always been a Human being since it's conception and will become a fully developed Human Being in the Future if certain criteria are met (proper nutrition, protection of the womb, health of the Mother). We are children of God in varying states of our progression and development. But a lot rides on what we choose to do here, and if our progression is completed.

We are god's though we are not fully developed ones. It is through the atonement of Christ that our development becomes fully realized. Does this realization not make us want to do better in our lives?

Sponsored Links:
16th Apr, 2008 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

Gods To Men Impossible It

Smart one. I like your take on it (Charm increases) or should I say, looking at it from that perspective. I will try to remember that for a related talk.

16th Apr, 2008 - 1:38pm / Post ID: #

It Is Impossible For Men To Become Gods. Studies Doctrine Mormon

Interesting theory although I am not sure how accurate it is with regards to Church doctrine? Or is this theory more a matter of proper"words" or terms more than anything else?

I believe that doctrine of the Church is that we may become like our Heavenly Father, not that we will someday become gods.

Doctrine and Covenants 132: 19-20 clearly says:

19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man amarry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and beverlasting covenant, and it is csealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of dpromise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the ekeys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them-Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit fthrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths-then shall it be written in the Lamb's gBook of Life, that he shall commit no hmurder whereby to shed innocent iblood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their jexaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the kseeds forever and ever.

20 Then shall they be gods,because they have no end; therefore shall they be from aeverlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be bgods, because they have call power, and the angels are subject unto them.

The key word here is "then" which means there are certain "requirements" that must be fulfilled for us to become "gods". Also in the Temple, it clearly teaches us we will become "gods". We cannot also compare ourselves with Father and Jesus since no matter what, even if we become "gods", Father will always be "God and Jesus Christ will be Jesus Christ. I see a big difference between goodhood and Godhood.

16th Apr, 2008 - 5:14pm / Post ID: #

I totally agree with you LDS that we are in no way approaching God in this life, except for our potential to gain all that he has and in essence become co-eternal with him at some future point

It is probably just semantics.

Then shall they be gods,because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting

Notice it states "then shall they be gods" and not "then shall they become gods".
My interpretation of this is that when we "become" gods, we in fact are god from "everlasting to everlasting" as the verse states, meaning because we have fulfilled the measure of our creation, we retroactively take on the Mantle of Godhood throughout our entire existence. By definition everlasting to everlasting would imply that we were always gods, are gods and will always be gods at the moment we are exalted(to me it is kind of a strange concept). We are now either Gods in training due to the fact we will someday be exalted or we are *damned* or stopped because we will never reach that point.

Presently, however we can become Saviors on Mount Zion. We can only become such if we are humble, meek, easily entreated and are faithful in our callings. We must realize that we are flawed and are powerless, without the strengthening hand of our Savior.

My ultimate point is that we, by our choices can become "damned*" where we can never progress to the level of God(capital G), thus short circuiting the plan that was meant for us or we become Gods, and thus we are everlasting. In essence when we become God our children will view us as Gods, from eternity to eternity, everlasting to everlasting, because we fulfilled the measure of our creation. We never had a beginning and we will never have an end. But now we are just gods in training if we reach the ultimate goal of Godhood in the future.

Post Date: 17th Aug, 2012 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Name: Smith

Comments: Honestly, I believe that the become like god doctrine is just an incentive to the memberbership to show that if you stick with the Mormons you get so much more than you would in other religions. Which other religion tells you that you can become a god. Its a very cultist like belief.

2nd Sep, 2013 - 1:37pm / Post ID: #

I always thought that the whole idea of us being gods a little too much to digest, not just this but the whole way in which people are chosen for the election made sure. The process seems to be more about man's views rather than any direct divine input.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: It Is Impossible For Men To Become Gods.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,