Joseph Smith - Page 3 of 6

What harm would it bring reading the Book? - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Apr, 2006 - 8:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Joseph Smith Quotes
Why this particular man?
2nd Apr, 2006 - 1:54am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith - Page 3

Malexander, I read the whole thread and I think I understand some of your points. I will not go into each one of them because they have been answered already but one of the main point I see is that if we have the Bible, then why the need for the Book of Mormon? Interesting enough ( I will make a big assumption here, sorry if I am wrong) I am pretty sure you never prayed to find out whether the Bible is the word of God. If so, why not? Simply, it is a book that have been in existence for a longgg time and you have been born with the traditions and religious setting and assurance that it's the word of God.

I can write a whole long message stating why I know the Book of Mormon is true and why Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God but you will reject it anyway (don't take it the wrong way wink.gif ) simply because you're rationalizing an issue that is totally spiritual but also because you're looking for other type of evidence that confirm these things. Just as there are not 100% evidences that states that the people who wrote the Bible were Prophets (after all, it can be considered opinion of men the historical evidence of early Christians) then I do not see a difference with the book of Mormon.

Want to know the Truth?, pray to God. He has the answer if you really pray with purpose of heart.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Apr, 2006 - 4:53am / Post ID: #

Smith Joseph

Yes, you are right LDS_forever, and believe me, I have questioned myself on the same issue. The way I see it is this. There are one of 2 ways I can go with this. I can choose to believe in the Bible, because it is the book of God, and my beliefs are founded on the teachings of Jesus Christ (Christian). Or, I can choose to not believe in God, Christ or his teachings, and call the Bible the imagination of man.

If I choose the first, then I have to believe that the Bible IS the one and only set of scriptures from God, and all other books are made of man.

If I choose the second, then the Bible and every other book on Christ is all made of man.

Either way, the Book of Mormon doesn't seem to fit in. If I am in category 1, why would God command that another doctrine be created after He had already authored the Bible? If I am in category 2, well, neither book is believable or relevant, end of story.

Currently I am in category 1, and because of that I choose to follow the teachings of Christ, and thus the Bible IS the only source of that. The argument can be made that mention of Joseph Smith may have existed at one time in an earlier version of the Bible, in which case, we either need proof of this, or we will never know.

The Bible seems to be the one book that has stood the test of time, and not deviated much in its teachings. With this assurance I place my faith in its word, as the true word of God. Because of this, my faith begs me to question that which is of man or which is not outlined in the Bible itself as to come to pass.

Thus you see my dilemma. It is not a matter of right or wrong for me. It is a matter of logistics. Yes, true faith is not argued over or deduced in a formula, but logic and reasoning still need to play an integral part, at least for me (this is where I am not as spiritual as others, it may seem)

This discussion has really made me realize I need to start reading the Bible more often, so that I not only think deeply about God's word, but also read between the lines, and deduce the plan that he has laid out for us.

Joseph Smith, from what I have read, was a very gifted and blessed person, and his teachings depict a lifestyle that. undoubtedly, is holy. However, my opinion is that Christianity be based on the teachings of the Bible, and while he has outlined most of his doctrine from the Bible, it is those little 'extras' that concern me. That is the crux of my argument and questioning. Thanks for putting up with me... seriously!

2nd Apr, 2006 - 12:35pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith Studies Doctrine Mormon

I appreciate your point of view, and your questions have been excellent.

Just one question back to you. You say that because you have firm faith in the truth of the Bible, that it can be the only source for you.

Where, in the Bible, do you get that conclusion from?

Offtopic but,
We should probably take this to another topic if you wish to discuss the exclusive nature of the Bible. But it should still be in the LDS studies board.

2nd Apr, 2006 - 3:08pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Smith Joseph

Where, in the Bible, do you get that conclusion from?

I don't. As I tried to explain in my previous post, my faith in the Bible and its teachings is simply that; faith. The Bible contains the Word of God, and as a Christian, I base my salvation on its word. Which is why I question other doctrines that are not referenced in the Bible. I understand that members of the LDS church have faith in the Book of Mormon, the same way I have faith in the Bible. I just don't understand how one can have faith in both. But I believe that point has been beat to a pulp.

One other question about Joseph Smith, since he is the topic of this discussion. Did he ever perform any miracles during his time on earth? Also, I hear a lot about living prophets, and these references seem not about Joseph Smith himself. Are there other living prophets in the LDS church?

2nd Apr, 2006 - 6:43pm / Post ID: #

Smith Joseph

How does logic tell you that there is no other scripture than that contained in the Bible? If God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, then logic alone tells you He must speak to us through His prophets today as He has done since the beginning of Time.

Yes, we currently have a living prophet (Gordon B. Hinckley) who leads the church today, and our church has had a living prophet since Joseph Smith's time. Our prophets not only guide us in these modern times, but counsel us in preparing for the future.

Perhaps part of the problem is that you believe the Book of Mormon teaches a different gospel than that of Jesus Christ's as provided in the Bible. The Book of Mormon has nothing but the gospel of Jesus Christ in it. Yes, it clarifies and provides insight into biblical scripture that may have been lost in the process of several translations, but it in no way leads you to a different path than that of the salvation of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Post Date: 27th Apr, 2006 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith
A Friend

Joseph Smith

QUOTE (Moroni 10:4)

And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

My personal view if you want to know if it is true, and if you want to know if Joseph Smith was truely a prophet of God, and that we have a living prophet today. That you read and study the Book Of Mormon. It is that simple.

And here refrences in the Bible to the coming forth of the Book Of Mormon.

QUOTE (Bible)
Isiah 37:32
""¦For out of Jerusalem shall go forth a remnant, and they that escape out of mount Zion; the zeal of the Lord of hosts shall do this." --Isaiah 37:32
Isiah 29:11-12
""¦And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee; and he saith, I cannot, for it is sealed. And learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee; and he saith, I am not learned."

Isaiah prophesied of the sealed book that was to become "the vision of all." In late February, 1828, Joseph Smith sent Martin Harris to New York with a copy of the Book of Mormon characters. He was to meet with Professor Charles Anthon, "a gentleman celebrated for his literary attainments." The professor asked Mr. Harris if he would bring the plates so he could translate them.

""¦I informed him," said Mr. Harris, "that part of the plates were sealed, and that I was forbidden to bring them. He replied, "I cannot read a sealed book.""
Obviously, an apparent fulfillment of Isaiah 29. The book is delivered to two men, one learned and one unlearned. One a professor and the other a farmer's lad with a third grade education. Joseph recognized throughout his lifetime that his education and knowledge were limited. He must depend upon the Lord for understanding.
""¦The word of the Lord came again unto me saying, Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it. For Judah and for the children of Israel his companions; then take another stick, and write upon it. For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions; and join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand." --Ezekiel 37:15-17

Message Edited!
Persephone: Please use quote tags when quoting from any source.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Apr, 2006 - 8:09pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith - Page 3

My personal view if you want to know if it is true, and if you want to know if Joseph Smith was truely a prophet of God, and that we have a living prophet today. That you read and study the Book Of Mormon. It is that simple.

Very easy to say for someone who is of the LDS faith, but for someone who is skeptical of Joseph Smith in the first place, asking them to read the Book that he authored is probably not the best idea.

Post Date: 27th Apr, 2006 - 8:53pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith
A Friend

Joseph Smith Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

What harm would it bring reading the Book? And just try reading it? If you do as that scripture that is quoted and Moroni says you won't be a skeptic anymore. And all you have is my word which isn't worth much. But I don't think their is harm in trying, even for a skeptic such as yourself. I'll leave it at that. smile.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Joseph Smith

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,