Joseph Smith - Page 2 of 6

QUOTE Why would God not warn of such a time - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Apr, 2006 - 12:55am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Joseph Smith Quotes
Why this particular man?
1st Apr, 2006 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith - Page 2

There are lots and lots of them. However, all those that are either neutral or approving of him have been gathered into various books published by the various sects of Mormonism (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the largest and most well known of all the Restoration churches). All those accounts of Joseph Smith that are negative are gathered together into all the anti-Mormon books, pamphlets, and other documents. Even while he was alive, recording of history about him was extremely controversial. There is very little written about him that is really neutral.

Sponsored Links:
1st Apr, 2006 - 10:53pm / Post ID: #

Smith Joseph

One thing to keep in mind while researching any personal history of great men is that ~ while charismatic, powerful, and/or spiritual ~ they were not always as perfect as we would like our heroes to be. For example, Martin Luther King, Jr., who began a great work, had his faults, even Moses had a sort of sketchy past, and others we could name.

Joseph Smith, while not perfect, was still a great man and began a great work as an instrument in the hands of God. Those who would discredit him will point out his faults and ignore completely the miraculous events surrounding the work that God did through him.

The best witness is God, Himself, and the work that was begun. The Book of Mormon was translated in a matter of weeks, and stands today as the word of God. The beauty and truths held in that book will stand the test of time.

I will echo the question placed before: What is it about this work that some find so threatening? The Book of Mormon brings me closer to Jesus Christ and my Father in Heaven who is God. The teachings found there make me a better person. Why is that so horrible? Joseph Smith didn't write it from his own imagination or opinions, but by the power of God he translated the Book of Mormon from ancient records.

Don't just take my word for it. Read it for yourself and ask God if it's true. Read about the vision that Joseph Smith had and how he came to be chosen. Ask God if it's true.

1st Apr, 2006 - 11:38pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith Studies Doctrine Mormon

One thing to keep in mind while researching any personal history of great men is that ~ while charismatic, powerful, and/or spiritual ~ they were not always as perfect as we would like our heroes to be. For example, Martin Luther King, Jr., who began a great work, had his faults, even Moses had a sort of sketchy past, and others we could name.

Yes, I completely agree. My question was meant to find out if there are historical references of Joseph Smith, not so I can pick the negative aspects of it, but to get an un-opinionated one.

and stands today as the word of God.

Joseph Smith didn't write it from his own imagination or opinions, but by the power of God he translated the Book of Mormon from ancient records.

These statements to me, are your opinion, or your interpretation of Joseph Smith's opinion. I don't mean this disrespectfully, but you can see why someone non-LDS would think this way. Why is the Book of Mormon the word of God? Is it because Joseph Smith said it was? Is it because Joseph Smith said God told him it was? Everything stated in the Book of Mormon is a direct translation from Joseph Smith.

The devil has been known to speak to us and can speak to us if he wants to. Now I am not saying the devil spoke to Joseph Smith, but what argument is there that he didn't? How do we not know that the devil is telling each one of us to believe what Joseph Smith has written knowing that he has communicated it to him? Again, this is all for the sake of argument.

The problem with that argument, as well as the argument that none of the other Christian sects have living prophets is that the Bible does not say, anywhere, that the canon of scripture would ever be closed, or that God would cease to call Prophets to teach the people.

Yes, I agree with this, but how do we know that Joseph Smith was given this task, or was assigned a prophet? Is it because we feel it must be so, because his book seems to clarify the Bible so well? Or is it because he was a living 'prophet' after Jesus Christ, and that gives us a sense of belonging, and that God is speaking to us directly? I am not trying to belittle the LDS perspective of life, but merely trying to understand it while presenting the non-LDS perspective. I hear from everyone who is LDS that they felt it was the right way, or they were moved by the Book of Mormon. That just doesn't register with me; maybe it's because I am not spiritual enough.

The Book of Mormon brings me closer to Jesus Christ and my Father in Heaven who is God. The teachings found there make me a better person

You are right, there is nothing wrong with this. It's like reading any literature that gives insight into the Scripture. The problem I have is when the literature seeks to add details to Scripture; details that did not exist before. I believe the Bible is supposed to be vague, so as to spark religious discussion, and to invoke us to read into more deeply. I suppose this is one of the main problems I have with Joseph Smith's teaching is that he attempt to clarify everything in the Bible, and add to its teachings. It is difficult for me to accept that.

2nd Apr, 2006 - 12:01am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Smith Joseph

The devil has been known to speak to us and can speak to us if he wants to. Now I am not saying the devil spoke to Joseph Smith, but what argument is there that he didn't? How do we not know that the devil is telling each one of us to believe what Joseph Smith has written knowing that he has communicated it to him?

Would the devil encourage you to be a better person? Would the devil whisper to you to become closer to our Savior Jesus Christ? Would the devil bear witness of Jesus Christ and the Atonement? Not likely.

I believe the Bible is supposed to be vague, so as to spark religious discussion, and to invoke us to read into more deeply. I suppose this is one of the main problems I have with Joseph Smith's teaching is that he attempt to clarify everything in the Bible, and add to its teachings. It is difficult for me to accept that.

On the other hand, would the devil twist the words of God to draw people further away from salvation? Would the devil obscure the truth, so that it's indiscernible, or that it could be interpreted in different ways by different people on different occasions and create confusion and contention? Of course he would.

Why shouldn't the word of God be plain and clear? How can we follow His words if we don't understand them?

I once had a discussion with a sweet lady who had a book with four different scholarly interpretations of the bible. Four different opinions of the same exact scriptures! How can that be helpful? And she didn't always select the same "authority" for the scriptures she chose, but picked the one that made the most sense to her personally at the time.

What a prophet does is bring us the word of God so that we can understand it. Why can you accept that we had prophets in ancient days but we can't have them now? What if it were Richard Jones instead of Joseph Smith? Who the man was isn't as important as what he did.

And yes, this is all in my opinion. But I gained this opinion by prayer and fasting, by study and pondering. I received witness from the Spirit of God of the truthfulness of it. I can't give that to you. You have to seek it for yourself, and you can't get it from another person.

2nd Apr, 2006 - 12:19am / Post ID: #

Smith Joseph

On the other hand, would the devil twist the words of God to draw people further away from salvation? Would the devil obscure the truth, so that it's indiscernible, or that it could be interpreted in different ways by different people on different occasions and create confusion and contention?

Couldn't that argument be used against the teachings of Joseph Smith? For the sake of argument, couldn't someone say that by having these additional teachings that Joseph Smith authored that it is creating confusion and contention? Who is to say that his interpretation of scriptures is not leading one further away from salvation? Every argument for Joseph Smith's teachings could arguably be used against him as well. That is the point I am trying to make.

Why can you accept that we had prophets in ancient days but we can't have them now?

Simply because the prophets of ancient days are recorded in the Bible, which all of us who profess to be Christians believe in. Joseph Smith isn't.

can't give that to you. You have to seek it for yourself, and you can't get it from another person.

I completely realize that and accept that. I am not asking others to give me faith and spiritual fortitude. I understand these are things one must find for themselves with the help of God and his word. What I don't agree with is that there should be other doctrines to be used in associated with his word, when there is no evidence that this doctrine was given by God. I don't question anyone's faith, and I certainly don't claim to have more faith than anyone else. These are simply my opinions.

I also want to understand others, and their doctrines, and believe me, I have learned more here about LDS than anywhere else in all my life. For that I am thankful and grateful, and I hope that everyone will oblige me while I question their beliefs. It is simply so I can understand it better, not to point out that anyone else is wrong. I cannot judge anyone, only God can do this.

2nd Apr, 2006 - 12:27am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith

Of course, every argument in favor can be (and has been) used as an argument against. The point I'm making is that you can't get to the truth with argument. Truth will be witnessed to you by the Spirit of God.

Actually, I think there is a scripture in the bible that points to Joseph Smith - I'll have to research that. Of course, since he didn't live in biblical times, it would be impossible for him to be a prophet in it. But where in the bible does it say that there will never again be any other prophets?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Apr, 2006 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith - Page 2

But where in the bible does it say that there will never again be any other prophets?

You're right, it doesn't. The counter question to that would be where in the Bible does it say that another prophet would be sent to clarify the word of God and dispel the confusion created by man and his creation of multiple Christian sects? Joseph Smith was supposed to create a Church based on teachings that were handed down to him by God himself because none of the existent religions were right. Why would God not warn of such a time when men would create such confusion that something like this would happen. I am not saying it should have been spelled out in the scriptures that "Joseph Smith would come to man" but God would/should have known it would come to this, and warn of it in the scriptures.

Actually, I think there is a scripture in the bible that points to Joseph Smith - I'll have to research that.

That would be great, I look forward to it. Thanks!

2nd Apr, 2006 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Why would God not warn of such a time when men would create such confusion that something like this would happen.
Actually, He did. The Great Apostasy was prophesied in the scriptures. Then came the Reformation, and now the Restoration. I believe we have another thread about the Reformation Here.

Perhaps we need another one here in the LDS board to discuss the Restoration.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Joseph Smith

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,