The Gospel

The Gospel - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Apr, 2006 - 2:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

An LDS view
17th Apr, 2006 - 1:49am / Post ID: #

The Gospel

This can be a term that causes confusion, just as much as it can clear up confusion. So, here is my understanding of what this term means:

https://scriptures.lds.org/3_ne/27

QUOTE (3 Nephi 27:13-21)
13 Behold I have given unto you my gospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you-that I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me.

14 And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be judged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil-

15 And for this cause have I been lifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their works.

16 And it shall come to pass, that whoso repenteth and is baptized in my name shall be filled; and if he endureth to the end, behold, him will I hold guiltless before my Father at that day when I shall stand to judge the world.

17 And he that endureth not unto the end, the same is he that is also hewn down and cast into the fire, from whence they can no more return, because of the justice of the Father.

18 And this is the word which he hath given unto the children of men. And for this cause he fulfilleth the words which he hath given, and he lieth not, but fulfilleth all his words.

19 And no unclean thing can enter into his kingdom; therefore nothing entereth into his rest save it be those who have washed their garments in my blood, because of their faith, and the repentance of all their sins, and their faithfulness unto the end.

20 Now this is the commandment: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may be sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand spotless before me at the last day.

21 Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;

From 3 Nephi (in the Book of Mormon), I learn a few basic points, that Jesus claims as being the Gospel - the Good News that He brought to all mankind.

1. Jesus came into the world to do the will of His Father.

2. The Father sent Jesus into the world, that He might be lifted up onto the cross.

3. Jesus was lifted up onto the cross that He might bring all men (and women) to Him.

4. After men are drawn to Christ, they will be judged of their works.

5. Those who are drawn to Christ, then repent and are baptized, and endure to the end, will be held guiltless at the judgement.

6. Those who repent and are baptized will be filled (with the Holy Ghost).

Now, looking at these points, there are 6 explicit things described in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
1. Faith
2. Repentance
3. Baptism for the remission of sins
4. The Gift of the Holy Ghost
5. Enduring to the end
6. Final judgement, presided over by Christ

An additional 2 important concepts:
1. Jesus was sent by the Father
2. No unclean thing can enter into the Kingdom of God

With these last two, we see that God provided a way for us to become clean, through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. That really is what the Gospel is all about.

Sponsored Links:
19th Apr, 2006 - 2:31pm / Post ID: #

Gospel The

The Gospel of Christ is the Atonement of Christ. Gospel is synonymous with good news, and the real message of the Gospel is that through Christ, we each will overcome physical death and have the opportunity to overcome spiritual death as well.

Even the Restoration, as important as it is, is not the essence of the Gospel. We understand the Gospel better because of the Restoration, and the Restoration provides the necessary authority and doctrine to fully carry out the Gospel in our lives, but without the Atonement of Christ, the Restoration is nothing.

> TOPIC: The Gospel

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,