Become Like Him - Page 3 of 3

There, thats what I was looking for, the LDS's - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Apr, 2006 - 9:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
5th Apr, 2006 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

Become Like Him - Page 3

Seektruther, now you're coming with another issue. You really amaze me:

I don't see anything in that verse that says God was pleased that man became as one of them.

Your first post on this thread was questioning the comparison between what Satan said and what you read on a Church Manual. You was trying to say how come a Manual has the same statement than Satan. Now, when we proved you that the Lord himself said that also (and obviously you cannot refute such clear scripture) then you're now saying something different and bringing another issue within the same scripture. *shaking head*. I am amazed at your ability to change topics as you please ignoring the same answers you said you were seeking for. I do not understand it.

Offtopic but,
What are you really up to? I am getting tired of repeating myself. If you're interested in discussing your initial enquire then do it and stop trying to bring new topics as you please when they do not fit your agenda. If you do not see a difference between your initial post and your last post, then something is wrong

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Apr, 2006 - 4:44am / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Him Become

I don't see anything in that verse that says God was pleased that man became as one of them.

I don't see how that is another issue. Gospel Principles, the basic doctrinal manual of the LDS church, talks about being like God in a positive sense and verses in Gen. 3 make it sound like it is negitive. I may be focusing on a different verse now, but it's still the same question.

Offtopic but,
Of course there is a difference between my first post and my last. My last post is in a more advanced stage of the discussion, but it's still the same discussion and the same question. If you think it would be best, I can just drop this topic and move on.

5th Apr, 2006 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

Become Like Him Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (seektruther @ 3-Apr 06, 12:09 AM)
The last line of Chapter 1 in Gospel Principles says "By keeping his [God's] commandments we can become like him." When I first read this, it reminded me of Gen. 3:5, "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." What's the difference between the line in GP and what Satan said?

I am going back to the beginning, for a purpose.

You want to know the difference between the two statements.

Simple. Satan was mixing truth with falsehood in Genesis 3:5. Genesis 3:22 clearly shows this to be fact, as God verifies that the statement that Adam and Eve would become like gods, knowing good from evil.

The statement in Gospel Principles is clearly (to me) talking about us developing more Christlike characters.

Simple enough? Does this answer your original question?

As for God being pleased or not, there is no indication either way in the scriptures.

Transgression is NOT equal to sin. Sin always includes transgression, but transgression does not always constitute sin. Get it? Sin is a subset of transgression. You will ask me to clarify this. Very well.

In the Old Testament, God commanded David to kill Goliath. Yet in the Ten Commandments, we are told to not murder. David transgressed a law, but was justified in doing so because God commanded it in that circumstance. While it was a transgression, it wasn't sin.

Another example. A woman is unknowingly given a drug in her diet Coke at a party. She then becomes extremely amorous. She commits multiple acts of adultery. She has obviously transgressed a law, but she didn't sin. The chemicals completely took her will away from her.

There are several explanations for Adam and Eve being sent out of the Garden. The Book of Mormon even explicitly addresses this.

By eating of that particular tree, Adam and Eve became corrupted. Their bodies were corrupted. If they then partook of the Tree of Life, they would have been permanently frozen in that corruption, without the opportunity to repent and become perfect through the Atonement. So, God cast them out of the Garden to give them that opportunity.

Now that those very marginally topical questions are covered, are you satisfied with them?

Rephrase or ask again your further questions dealing specifically with this topic, please.

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 5th Apr, 2006 - 1:00pm

Post Date: 5th Apr, 2006 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Page 3 Him Become

There, thats what I was looking for, the LDS's view on the comparison/contrast between the two statements. There some things I don't agree with in the post, but a discussion about them would not work very well online. Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Become Like Him

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,