Become Like Him - Page 2 of 3

Sorry LDS_forever, this forum is different - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Apr, 2006 - 1:46am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
4th Apr, 2006 - 1:34pm / Post ID: #

Become Like Him - Page 2

I've asked this question to two missionaries and neither knew how to answer it. The last line of Chapter 1 in Gospel Principles says "By keeping his [God's] commandments we can become like him." When I first read this, it reminded me of Gen. 3:5, "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." What's the difference between the line in GP and what Satan said?

I was surprised by your question. First of all, because I do not see a comparison at all between those two statements, not to mention you're taking one line and another line in order to make this assessment. Very weird indeed. You cannot analyze something by quoting only a line! If you know about LDS doctrine as you said you know some, then you will know that as any other Christian Church doctrine you have to analyze things in full context.

But let me go to the "meat" of your question. You're mentioning a statement made by Satan ""For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." and comparing it with a line of a Church manual.

But did you read this scripture?:

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

He is saying that we have become like him knowing good and evil, it's clear as water. Then what is the big deal about that and the statement of "By keeping his [God's] commandments we can become like him."? The Serpent said that when Adam and Eve eat the fruit they will know good from evil. After that, the Lord himself confirmed it.

So?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 4th Apr, 2006 - 7:52pm / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Him Become

QUOTE (Nighthawk)
This is a common argument used by anti-Mormon Christians, to make it appear that we are Satanic. It doesn't fly.

I'm not trying to say the LDS belief is Satanic. It's just a doctrinal question, it's not my fault Satan was the one who said it.
Offtopic but,
Speaking of anti-Mormon Christians, I learned quite a bit about what Mormons consider anti-Mormon, but I certainly don't know it all. That's why I'd like to see what is talked about in the "anti-Mormon" thread on the Deep Doctrine board. I understand not letting non-LDS post in the board, but simply letting us read what LDS have to say about touchy subjects can help people, like me, who are interested in asking questions avoid those touchy subjects.

QUOTE (Nighthawk)
1. There is nowhere in the Bible that claims that Satan lied when he said that Adam and Eve would become "like the gods, knowing good from evil."

Both of the missionaries said something similar to this, but this brings up another question. If what Satan said was true, and if it was God's plan all along, then why was it a sin?

QUOTE (Nighthawk)
4. If Jesus was fully God, then He became a man, with the same appetites, pains, physical reactions, etc. as we all have. He ate food, drank water and wine, eliminated wastes from His body, washed, swam, worked, and most likely played.

When He was Resurrected, He gained a glorified, perfected body. He promised that other people would gain the same. So, as man is, Jesus once was, as Jesus is, man may become.

Yes, believers will have a glorified, perfected body, but where does the Bible say glorified, perfected bodies mean having spirit children and being a creator?

4th Apr, 2006 - 8:52pm / Post ID: #

Become Like Him Studies Doctrine Mormon

You didn't address the scripture from Genesis that both LDS_Forever and I quoted. It answers your objection to Satan's question.

Yes, believers will have a glorified, perfected body, but where does the Bible say glorified, perfected bodies mean having spirit children and being a creator?

Where is there any discussion about those things? They weren't in your original question, nor were they implied in any of the discussion so far. In fact, in order to discuss those questions, we would have to get into much deeper theology than I am willing to discuss at all with non-LDS, and the discussion would also require acceptance of some basic concepts that I am almost certain that you would be unwilling to consider, even for the sake of argument. The first being that we are the same "species" as God.

We don't believe that Adam and Eve committed a "sin" when they ate of the tree. They transgressed a law, but they were innocent and unable to be accountable for the action. See our topics on Adam and Eve, as well as original sin.

Offtopic but,
Since we discuss LDS specific topics, we keep those boards private so that anti-Mormons can't get to them, as well as people who are just curious. If you really want to learn about LDS teachings, we can guide you to excellent places. This place is definitely for discussion, but we are all somewhat limited in the time and resources we can commit.

4th Apr, 2006 - 9:47pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Him Become

Seektruther, are you really interested in finding out what you asked on this thread? The reason for asking this is as Nighthawk pointed out, you did not mention anything at all our refutations of your opening statement. Not even one line (since you seem to like to pick in one or two lines). So since we cannot be jumping from one topic to another, I would suggest you to answer our refutations first ifthere is really something of merit to add about it then we can continue discussing the topic.

Offtopic but,
but where does the Bible say glorified, perfected bodies mean having spirit children and being a creator?

Keep in mind that this is the Studies of Latter-Day Saints board, we do not have to prove anything with the Bible. If you're interested in an opinion Bible-based only then you have to go to the Bible Revealed board.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 4th Apr, 2006 - 9:50pm

Post Date: 4th Apr, 2006 - 10:06pm / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Him Become

Seektruther,

You appear to be looking more for an argument than an answer, so maybe clarification from someone who subscribes to neither faith is necessary.

1. Genesis says that we will be like God, knowing the difference between good and evil. This statement clarifies in what way they would be like God, by knowing good and evil. The separation of the two indicates that they did not know the difference between the two, so they would be one step closer to being like God, but not fully like God, just in that fashion.

2. LDS church believes in he glorified resurrected body of Jesus and God (see other threads in this section), thus striving to be like God means attaining that glorified body as well. In fact, all christian religions attempt to be like God, that is why you and your faith constantly try to be more christlike, because you want to be like him, like god. Their beliefs are not wholly unlike yours, but just put on a different face.

If you can post in here that you are yourself not trying to be like God, like christ, then I will count myself wrong. However, you know that you cannot be like god in this life, and I don't believe the LDS church does either. At the passing of your life, you hope to receive your glorified, resurrected body that is like christs. Yet you continue to strive to be like christ, who you believe perfect I assume, when you know that you can never be perfect as Paul himself said in the Bible. LDS members indeed are very similar in their striving to be perfect, like god, since he is the standard they live by.

Post Date: 5th Apr, 2006 - 12:14am / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Become Like Him

QUOTE (Nighthawk)
Where is there any discussion about those things?  They weren't in your original question, nor were they implied in any of the discussion so far.

In my 2nd post for this thread, I rephrased my question. In it, I quoted things from Chapter 47 in GP, the first paragraph on page 302.

QUOTE (Nighthawk)
We don't believe that Adam and Eve committed a "sin" when they ate of the tree.  They transgressed a law, but they were innocent and unable to be accountable for the action.

If eating the fruit wasn't sin, then where did sin come from? And how can transgressing a law not be a sin? If they were innocent and unable to be accountable for their action, then why were they punished(being casted out of the garden, Adam having to work to grow food, Eve having pains in childbirth).

Could you point out what you wanted me to read in the Adam and Eve thread, because I didn't see anything in there that was about this topic specifically. But I did notice something you said, Nighthawk.

QUOTE (Nighthawk)
Eve was drawn to eat of the tree by deceit.

I don't mean to be a nitpicker, I just want to be clear on what you meant by this and when you said . . .
QUOTE (Nighthawk)
There is nowhere in the Bible that claims that Satan lied when he said that Adam and Eve would become "like the gods, knowing good from evil."

What was the deceit that Eve was drawn by?

To konquererz:
1. I agree with that.

2. Yes, Baptists do encourage us to be Christlike, but the LDS's faith goes beyond that, as cited at the beginning of this post.

Reconcile Edited: seektruther on 5th Apr, 2006 - 12:15am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Apr, 2006 - 12:42am / Post ID: #

Become Him - Page 2

Seetruther, you still not getting it, don't you? Why are you ignoring the statements and refutations given by Nighthawk and me on the specific point of your post? You are going off the branches on purpose or you just have a hard time to read?. Refute the statements given from your original question about Satan. If you don't, then I have to assume you are not really interested in learning or discussing about the LDS faith as you put it but have an agenda. As I said before, in order to move to other areas you need to debate in the points given first otherwise it becomes a chaos and a mix of everything.

Offtopic but,
This is the second time I am telling you this, and based on my experience, if you do not follow along how this forum runs, I see you with little or not very long stay in our community. This is a Mature Forum where we expect our members to read and post according to it.

Post Date: 5th Apr, 2006 - 1:46am / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Become Him Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Sorry LDS_forever, this forum is different than the ones I've been on before. I'll try to learn your etiquette better.

I'm assuming you're refering to your quote of Gen. 3:22,

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.

First of all, I don't see anything in that verse that says God was pleased that man became as one of them. In fact, when I look at the next verse,
23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

it looks like God didn't like it. The "therefore" means "the following is the result of what I just said" and the following in this case is a punishment. So, it sounds like these verses are saying God didn't want man to become like him.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Become Like Him

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,