The One Bible Or Many Books Of Scripture?

The Bible Books Scripture - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Apr, 2006 - 6:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2006 - 11:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

For centuries, christianity in general as claimed that the Bible is the one book of Gods words. It is also believed by LDS churches as scripture too. However, the LDS church obviously has other books of scripture, the most famous outside the LDS would be the Book of Mormon.

As I know LDS believe it is also inspired, my question is this:

1. Why is the Bible not the final word of God as christianity in general says?

2. What is the most cherished book of scripture in LDS churches?

3. Are books of scripture considered perfect?
A. Please feel free to spread your answers to include the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Apr, 2006 - 12:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Scripture Books Or Bible The

1. Why is the Bible not the final word of God as christianity in general says?
If the Bible is the final word of God then I believe that God has left many holes in Doctrine God.

2. What is the most cherished book of scripture in LDS churches?
I don't believe there is any one book of Scriptures that is cherished over another, we are taught to read all of them, if people do cherish one book over another it is a personal preference.

3. Are books of scripture considered perfect?
Not by any means, in fact in the Book of Mormon, it states, If there are mistakes they are the mistakes of men, there for judge not the things of God that ye may be found spotless at the throne of God. Now these may not be the exact words but they are the same feeling.

5th Apr, 2006 - 2:59am / Post ID: #

The One Bible Or Many Books Of Scripture? Studies Doctrine Mormon

1. First of all, it wasn't God who decreed which texts would eventually end up as the "final" version of the bible, it was a group of scribes/scholars, eg *men*. Mistakes most likely were made in the many translations from different languages into the King's English. And it's entirely possible and probable that men with an agenda may have at some point made their own changes or omissions to the texts.

So, we have the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Nag Hammadi Codex, and numerous other texts that may have existed at the time that the bible was being compiled but were not included -- and some writings that were included that perhaps shouldn't have been (for instance, the Song of Solomon?).

Secondly, on this same question, at no time in the bible does God say "This is the last word I shall ever speak to mankind. The heavens are closed, revelation is done, and you will never hear from Me again." What He does say is, "I am the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow." Therefore, if He spoke to us in ancient times, He will speak to us in these modern times. And that being the case, should we not record His words to us and include them as scripture?

2. I believe all the scriptures are cherished equally; however, we are encouraged to read the Book of Mormon quite often. I believe that is because it has endured only one translation, and we can expect that it is the most correct book of scripture.

3. No, not all scripture is perfect, as noted in #1, and as Weisenberger pointed out, there may be mistakes made by men, whether in the printing or the translating etc.

All in my opinion, of course.
Roz

15th Apr, 2006 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

Scripture Books Or Bible The

Why is the Bible not the final word of God as christianity in general says?
It is common, among opponents, to quote Revelation 22:18-19 as evidence that there is to be no revelation beyond the Bible.
Those who appeal to Revelation 22:18-19 as evidence that there is to be no revelation beyond the Bible should keep in mind that those verses could not have been meant to refer to the Bible itself, because the Bible as we have it today was not yet compiled when John the Revelator wrote those words. Instead, John was proclaiming the eternal principle that no uninspired mortal is to "add unto" or "take away from" revelations from God; such revelations are to be accepted and obeyed as given." (F.A.R.M.S.)

The Bible itself tells us there is more scripture, as indicated in the following scripture references:

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. John 21:25
I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. John 16:12

Reconcile Edited: Valla on 15th Apr, 2006 - 6:50pm

> TOPIC: The One Bible Or Many Books Of Scripture?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,