Internet User Helps Police Halt A Suicide

Internet User Helps Police Halt Suicide - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 7th Apr, 2006 - 1:47am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

6th Apr, 2006 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

A concerned woman, resourceful library employees and quick-acting police officers and paramedics prevented a 21-year-old Orem (Utah) man from taking his own life.

When I read news like this I am so glad that there are people who care about the welfare of others, even if they are total strangers. I am also glad to know that somewhere in this world, police officers do what they are supposed to do and more...

"A two-part suicide note posted on an online message board about 12:30 p.m. Monday generated several replies from visitors of www.utrave.org, an online gathering place for attendees of local all-night dance parties.
It also prompted one message-board regular to make sure the man wasn't able to follow through with his plans.
After reading the suicide message, a woman used an IP address locator to trace the post to the Orem City Library. She then called the library circulation desk to let employees know that someone using library computers was planning to end his life.
"The woman was quite concerned," said Louise Wallace, Orem librarian.
Wallace said she called the Orem Department of Public Safety to tell police about the call, and an officer was dispatched to the library.
The man had left the library before the officer arrived, so Wallace enlisted the help of Clarke Hoover from the library's information technology department to determine who wrote the message.
Scheduling software is used at all of the library's Internet stations, keeping track of who is signed on throughout the day, Hoover said.
Using that data and personal information the man had posted on the Web site, Hoover said he was able to narrow the possibilities down to four people. He then passed those names on to police.
Another key clue came from the female caller, who asked to be identified only by her first name, Julie. Police said the woman indicated that the man had problems with heroin.
Officer Terry Steele discovered that of the four people signed on to the library computers at the time of the posting, one of them had been arrested for heroin use.....

https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635197061,00.html

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Apr, 2006 - 1:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Suicide Halt Police Helps User Internet

To me, someone who leaves enough trail for someone to be able to catch up and stop himself, doesn't really want to commit suicide, he wants someone to stop him. I wouldn't know why though.

But on the brighter note, good example of people caring enough about other people to try and make a difference in their lives. That guy should get a medal.

> TOPIC: Internet User Helps Police Halt A Suicide

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,