Lds Intellectuals - Page 4 of 7

Isiah53, yes you are very confused: QUOTE - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Dec, 2006 - 2:50pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Saved by knowledge alone?
9th Nov, 2006 - 12:11am / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals - Page 4

QUOTE (DougT)
I like the comments. In regard your last question, JB, of to whom am I referring; your last comment was more revealing of your thoughts.

spock.gif I did not realize that psychology was part of your resume?

You suffer that same problem we males all seem to suffer more than females (generally speaking): An inability to say what we really mean.

I am suffering with that? When I asked the question I was not asking for a sit down on the couch session, I was asking why you brought that thought to the conclusion of your last message since you claimed there was a gripe session building up here. Since quick judgement (a form of Intellectualism by the way) seems to be a resolve for you I would kindly ask that you stay on Topic. if you wish to know more about me ask in my Rave Thread, if you wish to answer the question carry on, as you have not done so yet.

The last part is a sermon and again to whom I might add? Sounds condescending and self-righteous (forms of Intellectualism again). Actually, this has turned out to be a good example of what I am talking about. You ask a simple question and it turns into an off-topic Discourse.

Rather off topic, but...
Your username is familiar, and I wonder if you have not ventured here before.

Update: I did a search for the name and came up with a similar username of someone who was calling others here idiots, I hope you do not think we fall into the same category.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 9th Nov, 2006 - 9:29am / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals
A Friend

Intellectuals Lds

Rather off topic, but...
My name is Douglas ******, and if my username is similar to someone elses that is merely a coincidence. My email address contains a different name because the person who set it up for me wasn't much more skilled than me at the time. And now everyone I know has that address. So if that was concerning you (which may not have been) that is why.

Your original article posed questions of intellectuals and you recently brought up people swearing at you etc. I commented on this concern that you posed as coming from intellectuals. However I am sorry if I have offended you in some way. We are brothers and I didn't mean to insult you by my attempt to display brotherly concern. Obviously I haven't expressed myself well enough either. Hopefully we can put that aside and move on.

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: Please use the offtopic tags when 'speaking; in the off topic. Removed name for security.

9th Nov, 2006 - 11:40am / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals Studies Doctrine Mormon

This is not a matter of being offended (I can't stand the use of the word nor people who cling to it so easily), this is a matter of Constructive Discussion. I understand the gist of what you are trying to say, but was showing how far from the Topic it is. By choosing to focus on me as the issue rather than actually answer the question it has become a 'Let's help JB' topic and that is not what it is about. I will repeat the opening Thread:

This Thread deals with an aspect of attitude among certain Members of the Church who consider themselves so knowledgeable as to be somehow saved by what they know, yet they do not understand the principles of the Gospel. In some ways they are just as Christ described; hypocrites. As a for instance people generally do not understand the difference between principles and commandments, (I will not go into it here save to say that principles are eternal, but not necessarily commandments), so one can know well the Topic of let us say 'Charity', but not do home teaching or give service to the sick. Herein lies the LDS Intellectuals - all brain but no works to bring salvation to their souls.

Post Date: 16th Dec, 2006 - 10:31am / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals
A Friend

Page 4 Intellectuals Lds

There are several gifts that our heavenly father offers. Each individual recieves the gifts that our heavenly father deems necessary. Some people reicieve only one gift while others recieve several. Wisdom is of course one of these gifts. Therefore my opinnion is that if wisdom is the only gift given to the "intellectual" it is going to obviously stand out over spirtuality. I don't know our heavenly father decided to do it this way, but it must be for the good of man kind. One single person can not be everything. It is out of a group that the puzzle gets put together. If this is the case then we, or those lacking the gift of wisdom, should look at the persons gift for benefit and not judgement. Just as the person who has wisdom should share their wisdom but draw off the spirituality of others.

16th Dec, 2006 - 12:22pm / Post ID: #

Intellectuals Lds

Ashmike13 said:

Therefore my opinion is that if wisdom is the only gift given to the "intellectual" it is going to obviously stand out over spirituality

I don't agree with this statement. In my opinion, secular knowledge about Church History or the Scriptures or the most deep of Church doctrine does not necessarily make a person "wise", that's the interpretation a lot of people in and out the Church pereceived about the "learned" or "intellectual" but I don't think is the case. It comes to my mind several LDS intellectuals who ended up excommunicated in the Church (and I am not talking about those cases over doctrine disagreements) but adultery, homosexuality lifestyle and fornication. Now, I am pointing these sins for the ONLY purpose to show that they may know a lot from books and study from the regular members but wisdom is definitely not necessarily linked to their intellectualism. Some may be wise and others not, but their accumulated knowledge is not *the* requirement for "wisdom".

16th Dec, 2006 - 2:49pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals

I will just add two points.

1. We are told to "seek out the best gifts". So, an "intellectual" who only seeks more "knowledge" at the expense of spirituality and faith is being disobedient.

2. Wisdom is the opposite of intellectualism. Wisdom is applied knowledge. Everything about the Gospel tells us to seek to build our faith and spirituality, along with building intellectual knowledge. That is wisdom. Focusing on intellectualism is in opposition to seeking and using wisdom.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Dec, 2006 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals - Page 4

It comes to my mind several LDS intellectuals who ended up excommunicated in the Church (and I am not talking about those cases over doctrine disagreements) but adultery, homosexuality lifestyle and fornication. Now, I am pointing these sins for the ONLY purpose to show that they may know a lot from books and study from the regular members but wisdom is definitely not necessarily linked to their intellectualism.

I am confused. Are you saying that intellectualism is the reason why one is gay, an adulterer? Is every adulturer and gay mormon an intellectual? Could there be other reason for such sins other then being intellectual?

Wisdom is the opposite of intellectualism. Wisdom is applied knowledge. Everything about the Gospel tells us to seek to build our faith and spirituality, along with building intellectual knowledge. That is wisdom.

I do not understand. How is wisdom the opposite of intellectualism? When wisdom is defined with building our faith, spirituality, and intellectual knowledge? Wisdom is applied knowledge and intellectualism I guess is the pursuit of knowledge. THis definition of wisdom given says that intellectualism is a element of wisdom rather then an opposition to wisdom.
Granted wisdom goes beyond intellectualism because it involves applying knowledge. So by some way are we all not intellectuals? I guess I am just confused. Maybe the community can help me by defining what an intellectual is. Am I off base in my understanding? I very well may be. Perhaps the difference is in what type of knowledge we are gaining. Intellectualism is the pursuit of knowledge through reasoning. There are several types of knowledge- reasoning, emotional, experdental, spiritual to name a few. Is this where we are making a difference? The lack of other knowledge based other types of experiences?

18th Dec, 2006 - 2:50pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Isiah53, yes you are very confused:

Are you saying that intellectualism is the reason why one is gay, an adulterer? Is every adulturer and gay mormon an intellectual? Could there be other reason for such sins other then being intellectual?

No, I am not saying that, is obvious. The point was made clear when I said "Now, I am pointing these sins for the ONLY purpose to show that they may know a lot from books and study from the regular members but wisdom is definitely not necessarily linked to their intellectualism"

Their intellectualism has nothing to do with those sins as wisdom has no link to their knowledge either. In the example given, wisdom was not applied. Do you understand now?

What Nighthawk is trying to say is simple. You can pursuit all the knowledge and become very well versed in all sort of Churh-related topics but if that knowledge is not applied to your life then you are not wise.

Bottom line: Being "intelligent" or "smart" (as people often describes intellectuals) and being wise are two different things.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Lds Intellectuals

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,