Lds Intellectuals - Page 6 of 7

Intellectualism in and of itself is not a - Page 6 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th Jul, 2007 - 5:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 7 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 
Saved by knowledge alone?
Post Date: 23rd Dec, 2006 - 7:25pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals
A Friend

Lds Intellectuals - Page 6

I think part of the problem is that we often confuse opinonated members with being intellectual but they are very different attributes. Certainly, being intelligent is a good thing and the more intelligence one has, the better (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith). However, how one uses that gift is really reflective of their spiritual maturity and their connection to the Spirit. In my opinion, the Savior (the most intelligent being who has ever lived on this planet) would never have tried to use His superior intelligence to make another feel less than wanted. His life was service-oriented and thus He used His greater light and knowledge to uplift and redeem.

I've been in the Church all my life and I've known many folks who were either considered "intellectuals" or who thought of themselves as such. It's been my experience that they tend to be members who question things in a skeptical way so as to make others feel that they are disagreeing with or are opposed to the doctrines. I've not found them to be particularly more intelligent than the ordinary members, just more skeptical. Unfortunately, their skepticism often a barrier to increasing faith, light and knowledge.

The Holy Ghost humbles me when I feel it. It makes me realize more of what I don't know than what I do. It makes me want to learn more and be better and more charitable to others. Our skeptical brothers and sisters are as much in need of the Holy Ghost as the rest of us and I'm glad they come to church so that perhaps at some point the Spirit will touch them.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jan, 2007 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

Intellectuals Lds

QUOTE (Scott81)
I've been in the Church all my life and I've known many folks who were either considered "intellectuals" or who thought of themselves as such.

I noticed that you took an interesting angle - looking at those who look at others as 'Intellectuals'. It is quite true that those who seem to question things more seem to be Intellectual, but remember that asking questions is some of the first fruits of being Intellectual. Now if they ask it because they wish to be pessimistic then they can if and that is a big IF, they are either defending the truth or did research and came up with sound evidence that should be evidence. However most times I have found that neither of those have been done OR they have only done partial research and already made a conclusion.

A lot of these 'types' of Intellectuals can be found right here in this Board with their blurbs of theories here and there and little to back up what they are saying. Much of conclusions about these are in the LDS Mature Board as we do not wish to 'offend' them - at least not badly wink.gif.

21st Jul, 2007 - 9:20pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals Studies Doctrine Mormon

Elder Oaks extended interview in the PBS special about the Church talked about Intellectualism, feel free to comment:

Now intellectualism is also perceived as a danger. I suppose it has been for at least a century. I read some history of some of the early confrontations with science - creation of the earth and so forth. In fact at Brigham Young University in some of its earliest years, [there] was [such a] manifestation. There"ll be other manifestations at different times. The life of the mind, which is a great, defining object of universities in our day, of which I"ve been the beneficiary in my own life, can be seen or practiced to be in flat-out opposition to the spiritual characteristics of one's faith. Revelation stands in opposition to science in some aspects according to some understandings. So I think in any day the watchmen on the tower are going to say intellectualism is a danger to the Church. And it is at extreme points, and if people leave their faith behind and follow strictly where science leads them, that can be a pretty crooked path. ([The] science of today is different than the science of yesterday.) We encourage the life of the mind.

We establish and support universities that encourage education. But we say to our young people: "Keep your faith. Do the things necessary to hear the promptings of the Spirit. If you"re getting too far off the line in the latest scientific theory or whatever, you will get a spiritual warning." And I believe that.

Post Date: 23rd Jul, 2007 - 3:03am / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals
A Friend

Page 6 Intellectuals Lds

Thanks for the Quote LDS_forever. As I have been reading through this thread I have seen a lot of animosity. I don't think it is the intent of this thread to say that intellectualism is a bad thing, but only if an intellectual relies only on what s/he has "learned" for salvation, rather than what s/he has felt. I think there has to be a reconciliation of what is "learned" and what is "felt". That reconciliation should come in the form of promptings from the Holy Ghost as Elder Oaks implies. Obviously it is not enough to be studying, you have to ask for guidance in your studies and you have to ask the Lord for help in the application of what you have "learned".

Random House gives a good definition of Intellectual below. Pay particular attention to #4 & 8.

in·tel·lec·tu·al   
-adjective
1. appealing to or engaging the intellect: intellectual pursuits. 
2. of or pertaining to the intellect or its use: intellectual powers. 
3. possessing or showing intellect or mental capacity, esp. to a high degree: an intellectual person. 
4. guided or developed by or relying on the intellect rather than upon emotions or feelings; rational. 
5. characterized by or suggesting a predominance of intellect: an intellectual way of speaking. 
-noun
6. a person of superior intellect. 
7. a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, esp. on an abstract and general level. 
8. an extremely rational person; a person who relies on intellect rather than on emotions or feelings. 
9. a person professionally engaged in mental labor, as a writer or teacher. 
10. intellectuals, Archaic. a. the mental faculties. 
b. things pertaining to the intellect.

I remember hearing or reading once that everything you needed to know about the gospel you learned in Primary. It is probably true, but for me I need to continually study and try to apply those studies to my life so that I can feel like I am growing. I think intellectuals have that same desire/need to learn, some of them however have missed the boat if they think that by knowledge alone they will enter the Kingdom of God.

23rd Jul, 2007 - 3:21am / Post ID: #

Intellectuals Lds

QUOTE (bobnbrittw)
As I have been reading through this thread I have seen a lot of animosity. I don't think it is the intent of this thread to say that intellectualism is a bad thing, but only if an intellectual relies only on what s/he has "learned" for salvation, rather than what s/he has felt.

The first post of the Thread indicates what the thread is supposed to be about:

QUOTE (JB)
...so one can know well the Topic of let us say 'Charity', but not do home teaching or give service to the sick. Herein lies the LDS Intellectuals - all brain but no works to bring salvation to their souls.

They (the LDS Intellectuals) may definitely 'feel', but I was more after the works of what they have learned. To know and to do is to separate things. To act rather than be acted upon is higher. To show charity than to acknowledge it is higher - this is my main point. It is all fine to dive into a more 'intellectual' realm, but you do not look very intellectual if the fundamental basics is not practiced.

You have no access to it, but I can't tell you the number of self proclaimed intellectuals who have come on here with such rudeness and statements (now deleted of course) that would make any disbeliever know that hell exists.

For me we are all just LDS with knowledge and seeking to improve that knowledge not only by study, but more especially by our actions, the study is just to inform us of what our actions are supposed to be. How silly it is to be informed but to not act upon this information.

23rd Jul, 2007 - 12:56pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals

Bob:

but for me I need to continually study and try to apply those studies to my life so that I can feel like I am growing.

I think the key is right there: Try to apply! Some self-proclaim "intellectuals" go only by study but not applying the things learned, in what way is benefiting them? I am a lover of Church History as well as doctrinal topics that probably are not necessary for my Salvation, nevertheless I continue learning but if I focus all my energy learning about the latest of a doctrinal topic but I fail to do the simplest things such as having Family prayer or doing my Visiting Teaching, in what way ALL this knowledge is really benefiting me? The issue does NOT rely in the knowledge itself but in how we use the knowledge, if we even bother to apply it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 24th Jul, 2007 - 11:51pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals
A Friend

Lds Intellectuals - Page 6

The scriptures encourage us to gain as much knowledge as we can while on this earth...but with everything theres good and bad...I've noticed the hardest people to convert to the church are intellectuals...people who are well read and knowledgable about almost everything...because of their knowledge they cannot grasp the concept of faith...they cannot believe in something that cant be seen or explained..they always have to have evidence...they do not understand that us as mortals will never in this lifetime come close to understanding the mysteries of god...that is why god is described as omnipotent...onmiscient...all knowing...I believe its the same with members...I should know because I've been through the tug of war between faith and knowledge...with knowledge comes responsibility...once we are blessed with this knowledge...we as members have the responsibility to follow through...faith without works is dead

Reconcile Edited: PacLamanite on 24th Jul, 2007 - 11:58pm

25th Jul, 2007 - 5:10pm / Post ID: #

Lds Intellectuals Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 6

Intellectualism in and of itself is not a bad thing. But like any strength that we may have, it can quickly become a weakness if not kept within the bounds the Lord has set.
Consider the words of Dallen H. Oaks

Those who engage in self-congratulation over a supposed strength have lost the protection of humility and are vulnerable to Satan's using that strength to produce their downfall. In contrast, if we are humble and teachable, hearkening to the commandments of God, the counsel of his leaders, and the promptings of his Spirit, we can be guided in how to use our spiritual gifts, our accomplishments, and all of our other strengths for righteousness. And we can be guided in how to avoid Satan's efforts to use our strengths to cause our downfall

An intellectual who brags because of his intelligence will quickly fall into the sin of pride. The intellectual who cherishes the doctrines which he has learned and applies them in his life is better for his knowledge.

Most of the Apostles are intellectuals, some being famed Heart surgeons, and Lawyers, but they are humble and realize the knowledge they have received was in large part because of the blessings of the Lord.

Again from Elder Oaks

Another strength Satan can exploit is a strong desire to understand everything about every principle of the gospel. How could that possibly work to our detriment? Experience teaches that if this desire is not disciplined, it can cause some to pursue their searchings beyond the fringes of orthodoxy, seeking answers to obscure mysteries rather than seeking a firmer understanding and a better practice of the basic principles of the gospel.

+  « First of 7 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Lds Intellectuals

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,