5th Article Of Faith

5th Article Faith - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Apr, 2006 - 12:38pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Authority to act in God's Name
14th Apr, 2006 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

5th Article Of Faith

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

This article of faith simply outlines our thoughts about proper authority. According to our beliefs, a man must have true authority in order perform baptisms or any other ordinance. Ordinances performed without the appropriate authority are simply play acting without any spiritual benefit.

On the other hand, ordinances performed by someone with true authority are effective for eternity.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Apr, 2006 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

5th Article Of Faith
A Friend

Faith Article th

This would prevent someone from simply claiming authority on their own. I can see that without this, anyone could stand up and claim to be a prophet and say something completely against the doctrine of the church, ultimately causing dissension from within. By keeping this article of faith in place, it would seem that authority would already be in agreement when ever someone was called.

15th Apr, 2006 - 3:18am / Post ID: #

5th Article Of Faith Studies Doctrine Mormon

So to clarify, how is a man of proper authority chosen? Is he chosen by those who are currently ordained, or does he 'apply' for it, for lack of a better word?

15th Apr, 2006 - 12:38pm / Post ID: #

Faith Article th

Those who are in authority right now, at whatever level of the organization, will "call" that person to the position. The choice of WHO to fill a position is purported to be by prophecy. For the most part, I believe it is, at all levels, but not always. After all, humans are involved, and we all make mistakes now and again.

At the highest levels, for example the presiding quorums (Twelve Apostles, Seventy, etc), including area authorities and local presiding authorities, I have very little doubts about prophecy being active.

Now, back to the very basic callings - the Priesthood. We have a completely "lay" priesthood. That is everyone who holds the priesthood is "amateur". We don't have a paid ministry.

Through revelation, we know that all worthy men may hold the Priesthood. In fact, the preparatory priesthood, named the Aaronic Priesthood, is available to young teenage boys. At 12 years old, a boy may become a Deacon, with specific roles and responsibilities. At 14, he may become a Teacher, and at 16, a Priest. A Priest has the authority to baptized, along with other outward ordinances.

At about 18 or 19, a man may be ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood. This includes the authority to perform more spiritual ordinances, such as giving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, healing through the power of the Priesthood, giving powerful blessings of counsel, comfort, and revelation, and performing the various ordinances associated with the Temple.

There are several different offices within the Melchizedek Priesthood. Elder, High Priest, Seventy, Patriarch, Bishop, Apostle, and Prophet. Each office has different responsibilities. Elder is the basic office, that all men who receive the Melchizedek Priesthood are given. Every other office requires revelation to be given. Most of them also require that a person be going to fill a certain position in order to given that office. That is, the position requires that the person holding that position have that office of the Priesthood.

We don't seek after position in the Church (well, some people might, but that is not right, and shouldn't happen). So, I don't go to someone and say, "I want to be a Patriarch, what do I need to do to make that happen?" If God wants me in that position, then He will make it known to the appropriate people. He might also notify me ahead of time, but that is up to Him, not me.

I hope this makes it clear. If not, just ask me the questions - I will try to answer them!

> TOPIC: 5th Article Of Faith

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,