6th Article Of Faith

6th Article Faith - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Apr, 2006 - 4:34am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Organization of the Church
15th Apr, 2006 - 3:51pm / Post ID: #

6th Article Of Faith

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

Pretty straightforward. We believe that the Prophet is the leader of the Church, and is a prophet, seer, and revelator. We also believe that the Apostles have the same authority, as a body. They are also prophets, seers, and revelators, but they don't have the authority individually to bring new revelation for the entire Church and world. Only the Prophet has that authority.

The Apostles, within their own stewardships and assignments, do receive revelation, frequently. Most of that revelation has to do with the proper accomplishment of their callings and assignments. For example, when an Apostle is sent to reorganize the presidency of a local unit such as a stake, he normally receives revelation about who to call to the appropriate positions.

We do use slightly different nomenclature within the current organization than is outlined in the article of faith. Pastors are bishops. Evangelists are patriarchs. I am not sure exactly why the different nomenclature came about, but it did.

Sponsored Links:
15th Apr, 2006 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Faith Article th

Just as the Article states, this is the same organization that Jesus Christ established during His mortal reign. During the apostacy, there was a constantly changing form of Church organization, which at the end had little resemblance to Christ's original organization, and had lost its authority from God. The restoration of the Gospel included the re-establishing of these offices.

In searching for the true Church, therefore, one must look for an organization comprising the offices established of old, the callings of apostles, prophets, evangelists, high priests, seventies, pastors, bishops, elders, priests, teachers, deacons...not men bearing these names merely, but ministers able to vindicate their claim to position as officers in the Lord's service, through the evidences of power and authority accompanying their minstry.
This quote from the Articles of Faith by James E. Talmage illustrates that the Church's organization is an indication of its truthfulness.

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2006 - 11:29pm / Post ID: #

6th Article Of Faith
A Friend

6th Article Of Faith Studies Doctrine Mormon

How many prophets exist in the LDS church structure? Is it to each church, or to the organization as whole? And where did the structure of a prophet come from. As far as I know, outside of Jesus himself, none of those who took over the church from him where considered prophets.

16th Apr, 2006 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

Faith Article th

There is one Prophet at a time. He is a prophet to the entire church, and the world as a whole. Of course, not many people other than LDS throughout the world listen to him, but that is their problem. wink.gif

QUOTE (1 Cor. 12:28)
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

QUOTE (Ephesians 2:19-22)
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

QUOTE (Ephesians 3:5)
Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

QUOTE (Ephesians 4:11-14)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

I think this makes it quite clear that prophets were active in the New Testament church.

16th Apr, 2006 - 4:34am / Post ID: #

Faith Article th

How many prophets exist in the LDS church structure?

I think it's a little misleading to say that there is only one prophet at a time. A better way to state this might be that there is only one head, or leader of the Church, at a time. As stated, he is the only one with the authority to receive revelation for the the entire Church.

We also believe that the Apostles have the same authority, as a body. They are also prophets, seers, and revelators...

The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and the First Presidency of the Church are 15. There are 15 prophets, seers and revelators within the church organization. This prevents the keys of the kingdom from being lost, upon the prophets death.

And where did the structure of a prophet come from.

The organization or structure of the Church came from God, and has been on the earth since Adam, unless it's been lost due to apostasy. Adam, Moses, Noah, Abraham, and many others were prophets. After the Saviors death, Peter was given the keys as the head of the Church.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Matthew 16:18,19

I'm not sure of it, but I think the Church fell into apostasy after Peters death.

Reconcile Edited: Valla on 16th Apr, 2006 - 4:36am

> TOPIC: 6th Article Of Faith

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,