Half Breed

Half Breed - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Aug, 2009 - 9:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Do you have this problem where you are trying to be accepted by other Native Americans, but they give you a hard time because of the way you look?
Post Date: 24th Apr, 2006 - 2:26am / Post ID: #

Half Breed

Half Breed

Some mixed Native Americans may find themselves not as integrated or accepted by pure breed Native Americans because they look 'too white' or 'too black' or whatever they may be. Do you have this problem where you are trying to be accepted by other Native Americans, but they give you a hard time because of the way you look?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Apr, 2006 - 5:00pm / Post ID: #

Half Breed
A Friend

Breed Half

I think this occurs whatever mix you are. It seems that the negative side of human nature projects a prejudiced attitude upon others who have mixed parentage, thus difficulty in fitting in and being accepted by others based on ethnic background. I have come to accept this and am pleased to report that it doesn't happen all the time, because intelligent people usually accept you and respect you for your differences. wink.gif

Post Date: 27th May, 2008 - 8:22pm / Post ID: #

Half Breed History & Civil Business Politics

Name: Roe

Comments: I have found over the years that it just depends on if the person is willing to get to know you as you and not just a race. I am half white and half Native American Indian. I never felt excepted by either side of the families. Distrusted by both. Does tend to wear on a person. People generally just assume that I am of latin origin now and that has opened up a whole different set of prejudice that I get to experience. All I can say is it would be nice if we could just be judged for who we are instead of what race we are.

Post Date: 12th Jun, 2008 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

Half Breed
A Friend

Breed Half

I agree with Joe. I am part native and part white, but people always automatically assume that I'm caucasion (unless I'm at a powwow in full regalia-then it's a bit obvious).

When I tell people, "No, I'm actually American Indian," I get all kinds of funny looks from nonnative people. When I tell a full- or half- blood native that I'm native as well, I generally immedietly get a tongue lashing from them about "wannabe's" and "hippies" and "fakers"...even though I have grown up in my culture and don't know anything else.

So yeah. It stinks to be stuck between two worlds, and mixed-blood people do face a great deal of prejudice.

19th Aug, 2009 - 9:39pm / Post ID: #

Breed Half

I am a mixture of many things but have been taught since I was a child of how my family ended up where they are today through the Trail of Tears. I may have light skin unlike some of my family members, but it is important to me to know who I am inside. My skin is light due to the forcible rape on my people. My skin may not be dark, but I know what my ancestors have gone through and that pain trickles down my bloodline. When I look in the mirror I accept my skin color, but I know how it got that way. I am ashamed of what was forced into my blood. When some people see me they will try to call me "white girl" and that really bothers me. Just by looking at someone you can't tell who they are as a person or what is in their blood. Most people look at me and can't tell my race because I am a variety of things all mixed together, but I take that as a chance to educate them. Most natives that I come across accept me once they get a chance to talk to me, but I know how it feels to be mixed.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 5 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.5%

> TOPIC: Half Breed

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,