Marriage And Woman's Spiritual Progression.

Marriage Woman' S Spiritual Progression - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Jun, 2006 - 3:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
27th Apr, 2006 - 6:04pm / Post ID: #

Does marrying outside the LDS faith limit a woman's spiritual progression? I understand that we ultimately cannot attain the celestial kingdom, without a worthy priesthood holder as an eternal companion. This is true for a man, also. He cannot enter without a worthy woman as his eternal companion. For this life, however, there are many who receive their temple endowments without having had a temple marriage. Perhaps not having attended the temple, I'm missing something?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Apr, 2006 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Progression Spiritual Womans Marriage

In a way Valla, you answered your own question.

I understand that we ultimately cannot attain the celestial kingdom, without a worthy priesthood holder as an eternal companion.
This is the answer. Yes, if a woman/man does not marry in the Temple then their spiritual progression is effected greatly, even if they remain faithful to the church all of their lives and their spouse doesn't even join. Then the greatest degree they can hope for is the Terrestial Kingdom.

27th Apr, 2006 - 6:33pm / Post ID: #

Marriage And Woman's Spiritual Progression. Studies Doctrine Mormon

Zelph answered well, but you can also become an Angel to those who have made the Eternal Covenant of Marriage and still make it to the Celestial Kingdom. Mind you, I believe all will have a chance unless they purposely choose not to. However, not choosing a worthy priesthood holder also limits progression in other ways:

1. No priesthood in the home means no blessings under the hands of father / husband

2. No rights to a constant companionship of the Holy Ghost for the man of the home

3. No chance for the man to assist in the spiritual growth of his own family.

Valla, in your own situation you can gently nudge your husband if you wish, and ask the Lord that he accept those things that will make all of you jump to a higher ground as one unit. I have seen spouses eventually accept the Gospel after many years of fasting, prayer and gentle persuasion.

I should also mention, that if it does not happen in this life then there is the next for all things to be made whole - so do not eat yourself up about it, just keep doing the things you know to be right and be an example.

29th Apr, 2006 - 1:37am / Post ID: #

Mind you, I believe all will have a chance unless they purposely choose not to.

I should also mention, that if it does not happen in this life then there is the next for all things to be made whole

This is what I think I was trying to get at and this is what makes sense to me. If a woman desires a temple marriage and through no fault of her own is unable to attain it, she will have that opportunity in the next life. This especially should be made clear to women who don't have the opportunity to be married at all. And if this is true, then how can it be said that a woman with righteous works and desires (not necessarily me) is limited in her spiritual progression? I know it's what the manuals say, but perhaps it's a little misleading. As for myself, even though forgiven of my past mistakes, I must still suffer the consequences for them and that includes a loss of those blessings you mentioned, JB. I very much agree that this is something that for me must be faced with faith and trust in Jesus Christ and His perfect justice and mercy. I don't eat myself up about it. I try to look to the future. I have nothing to complain about, I am very blessed.

29th Apr, 2006 - 4:38am / Post ID: #

And if this is true, then how can it be said that a woman with righteous works and desires (not necessarily me) is limited in her spiritual progression?

Is limited in her spiritual progression while on Earth. As Latter-Day Saints we know that progression goes beyond this world.

7th Jun, 2006 - 1:15pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Valla)
This especially should be made clear to women who don't have the opportunity to be married at all.

There is a pamphlet produced by the Church called, 'To the Single Adults Sisters of the Church' by Pres. Benson or something similar wherein this is spoken of specifically, so the Church does talk about it, but I believe the Church is not about preaching exceptions or alternatives, so it will continually emphasize that each Sister should seek after a Celestial Marriage. (That pamphlet can be read online - Search Google).

And if this is true, then how can it be said that a woman with righteous works and desires (not necessarily me) is limited in her spiritual progression?

Well actually, you answered that for yourself when you said...
...that includes a loss of those blessings you mentioned

I have a relative that made a similar choice. At the time they were not active in the Church, met a non-Member and married, and then when they became active again, they begun to see what 'they missed out on' by not seeking after a Priesthood holder. This is something she must live with until her husband is converted or the next life. Of course there is nothing she can do about it now, and it is not a "your fault" kind of scenario, but nevertheless it is a consequence of a decision.

Valla, as you dive into the Doctrines deeper (as you are currently doing) these things will become more and more apparent to you.

I must conclude by stating that the Lord is all merciful and so long as we are trying our very best to live worthy - He will bless us regardless of our circumstances and 'physical' limitations. However, we must not forget - it must be our very best. In other words, no complacency or excuses or justifications.

Offtopic but,
As an example of this I have seen many on the path of marrying a non-member. It was something I did not want to do despite very limited choices in the Church after my mission. I waited for six years and was blessed with LDS_forever.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Jun, 2006 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Marriage Woman's Spiritual Progression.

Zelph said:

Yes, if a woman/man does not marry in the Temple then their spiritual progression is effected greatly, even if they remain faithful to the church all of their lives and their spouse doesn't even join. Then the greatest degree they can hope for is the Terrestial Kingdom.

I think you meant to say the Celestial Kingdom not the Terrestial one. In Doctrine and Covenants 132 says that a person can obtain the Celestial Kingdom without being married in the Temple, what they cannot obtain is the highest degree within the Celestial Kingdom.

7th Jun, 2006 - 3:41pm / Post ID: #

Marriage Woman's Spiritual Progression. Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (Zelph @ 27-Apr 06, 2:20 PM)
Then the greatest degree they can hope for is the Terrestial Kingdom.

I am not quite sure about this statement. If a person does not enter into the New and Everlasting Covenant, they are only barred from the highest blessings of the Celestial Kingdom. I don't know of anything that indicates that such a person cannot enter into one of the other levels.

Also, repentance can go a long ways to overcoming poor choices.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Marriage And Woman's Spiritual Progression.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,