Touching Sacred Cows

Touching Sacred Cows - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Jun, 2006 - 6:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Closed
7th Jun, 2006 - 10:34am / Post ID: #

Touching Sacred Cows

There are two sacred cows that LDS brothers and sisters must touch ever so gingerly before any of us evangelicals will take seriously the message of the restoration gospel, Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon:

1) the doctrine of the rapture, and
2) the doctrine of canonization.

Both doctrines are taught from cradle to grave in most all evangelical churches. And both are believed to be "gospel."

Why, for instance, do you think there were over 60 million copies sold of the "Left Behind" series? It's because, as said, from cradle to grave we"re taught that the church will be raptured out just in the nick of time before all hell breaks loose; thus, we"re taught with strong convictions-for someone to come along and teach of a literal kingdom being set up on this earth before the Lord returns is pure nonsense. We simply dismiss most LDS missionaries as poor deluded souls, though we may sit and listen without saying a word.

The eschatology of Pre-millennialism is alive and well in most most evangelical believers" hearts.

And it's not that you LDS brothers and sisters believe in 'that Book of Mormon" that causes us problems. It's that, according to our theology, you have violated the sacred doctrine of a closed canon that's the real problem. Again, we"re taught from cradle to grave that God wrote all He's going to write. The canon is closed. Period. The matter is not even negotiable.

As said, to get anywhere with most evangelical Christians, sooner or later both these 'sacred cows" must be addressed, or touched. I know, as a Baptist minister I had to come to grips with both doctrines. And it took me years, in fact, to realize that both doctrines, as sacred as they may be, are actually what I call extra-biblical teachings. The Bible, in other words, does not teach the doctrine of the rapture or a closed canon. But believe me, most evangelicals will fight you in order to defend both teachings.

Let's take, for example, the teaching of the rapture. Sadly, most of my peers do not know where the rapture doctrine began.

The pretribulation rapture theory was introduced in 1830 by a young 14 year-old Scottish lass named Margaret MacDonald who went into a trance. She described a vision where she saw the saints leaving the earth at the return of the Lord. Her "revelation" occurred while living in Port Glasgow, Scotland.

The vision was recorded in two books written by R.N. Norton, M.D., and printed in London, England in 1861. Two Brethren ministers, Edward Irving and John Darby, popularized her vision. The Plymouth Brethren accepted the vision as valid and the rapture doctrine 'took off" during prophetic meetings at Powerscourt House in Ireland.

Irving's views influenced C.I. Scofield whose Bible notes popularized the new theory among fundamentalist and evangelical Christians in the West. The rest is history.

Many fundamentalist and evangelical Christians today, however, have second thoughts about the doctrine, have re-evaluated their position. They no longer believe Christians will be "raptured out" of the tribulation. To name a few-Corrie ten Boom, Pat Robertson, Peter Marshall, Jr., and Demos Shakarian. There are hundreds, if not thousands, who believe there is no scripture that says saints will be raptured before tribulation.

Some hold to the pretribulation rapture theory to the degree that they believe anyone who teaches anything contrary is teaching heresy. I like what Rick Joyner said, ""¦Would it be better to be prepared and not have to go through tribulation or not to be prepared and have to go through it?"¦"

And l find it quite intriguing that both the restoration gospel and the rapture theory came forth in the earth in the same year: 1830.

Interesting.

Lynn

Sponsored Links:
7th Jun, 2006 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

Cows Sacred Touching

I am not sure where you are going with this Thread? You are diving into what Evangelical Churches believe - that is not what this Board is about.

Are you Discussing the 'Rapture'? If so, there is a Thread about that already in existence, please do a Search and you will find it. This Board is not about teaching the beliefs of other Churches... here you may ask questions related to LDS Doctrine for which LDS Members can give their reply or a researched reply about LDS Doctrine. If you wish for Evangelical Christians to get a different perspective about the Rapture, the Bible or whatever else then please seek out those Threads in the Bible Revealed and Religions Boards.

Offtopic but,
A thorough reading of our Constructive Posting Policy will lead you to an understanding of how this Community works It really is simple, but is not managed like other Communities - thus unless our policy is not read and understood it will seem frustrating.

7th Jun, 2006 - 5:50pm / Post ID: #

Touching Sacred Cows Studies Doctrine Mormon

One of my main points I wanted to make is--it's been my experience that many LDS brothers and sisters (especially missionaries) are unaware of these two cardinal Protestant doctrines: 1) canonization, and 2) the rapture.

I'm saying--in desiring to be effective witnesses of the restoration gospel, two hurdles (canonization & the rapture) seem to be always in the way.

I'm not wanting to teach evangelical doctrine. I am wanting to share some of the "roadblocks" that LDS missionaries and LDS brothers and sisters tend to run up against in their attempts to share with evangelicals.

Lynn

7th Jun, 2006 - 6:01pm / Post ID: #

Cows Sacred Touching

That is fine, but I will repeat again as I have done in other Boards... that is not the purpose of this Board. Did you read the Read Me Thread within this Board? Each Board has one and it tells in detail what should and should not be posted here. If you wish to discuss Protestant Religious Beliefs then please go to the Religions Board for general comparison where if Members wish to do so, may compare what you are saying with other Books or religious beliefs, or the Bible Revealed Board for Christian focus.

* Thread Closed *

> TOPIC: Touching Sacred Cows

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,