Mormons In Newsweek

Mormons Newsweek - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st May, 2006 - 7:38am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 21st Oct, 2005 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

Mormons In Newsweek

Mormons in Newsweek

The October 17 issue of Newsweek (on newsstands Monday, October 10) looks at the evolution of the Mormon Church and why it is still one of the fastest growing religions 200 years after the birth of its founder Joseph Smith. Plus, the controversy surrounding Harriet Miers, a lethal new flu strain, Syria's refusal to cooperate with the U.S., Warner Music's plan for making money from music downloads, flashy wine marketing tactics and Halloween theme park promotions.
Ref. https://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....04164244&EDATE=

Mormons In Newsweek
Mormons In Newsweek (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
11th Nov, 2005 - 6:01am / Post ID: #

Newsweek Mormons

I did not have access to this issue of Newsweek, did anyone read it? I am interested in two things: 1. was it factual and 2. was it positive for the Church?

11th Nov, 2005 - 8:08pm / Post ID: #

Mormons In Newsweek Studies Doctrine Mormon

I read it. While I can't remember the details, I would say, for the most part it was factual and for the most part it was positive. I remember a friend of mine feeling like they hadn't been all the nice with how they handled Joseph Smith, but they didn't really portray him as a demonic person either.

1st May, 2006 - 7:38am / Post ID: #

Newsweek Mormons

I think Newsweek did an excellent job. The article began by focusing on Joseph Smith and his role in founding the church. I liked that certain unique doctrine was brought out, doctrine that those who may be searching for the truth might recognize. For example, here is a quote about personal revelation.

Smith said an angel visited him in 1823 at his home and told him of the Book of Marmon. The church encourages members to seek revelation for themselves about the truth of the Gospel.

I remember a friend of mine feeling like they hadn't been all the nice with how they handled Joseph Smith, but they didn't really portray him as a demonic person either.

That is fairly accurate, here is part of what they said about him:
Prophet and polygamist, mesmerizer and rabble-rouser, saint and sinner: Smith is arguably the most influential native-born figure in American religious history, and is almost certainly the most fascinating.

The article touched on many aspects of our beliefs, both present and past. This includes sacred temple rites, personal revelation as I mentioned, tithing, and a history of polygamy. undecided.gif It talked about the pre-existence and the three degrees of glory. It also talked about the reason Mormonism appeals to so many, with its emphasis on high moral standards, family ties, and community service. Here is another quote which illustrates this:
No matter where Mormons live, they find themselves part of a network of mutual concern; in Mormon theology everyone is a minister of a kind, everyone is empowered in some way to do good to others, and to have good done unto them: it is a 21st-century covenant of caring.

It touched on the DNA debate about the Native Americans. There was also an interview with President Hinckley, which was very good. I love him. The least positive thing talked about was the polygamy practiced by Joseph Smith.

> TOPIC: Mormons In Newsweek

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,