Song Of Solomon

Song Solomon - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd May, 2006 - 1:33am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Inspired or Not?
9th Dec, 2003 - 4:45pm / Post ID: #

Song Of Solomon

Song Of Solomon

Have you ever read the Song of Solomon? If you have then you will know it is very sexually explicit (if you have not read it then don't go rushing to read it now laugh.gif). Anyway, this book within the Bible is not inspired. Did you know that?

Just your thoughts of if you found anything meaningful within it. There is serious doubt that Soloman even wrote it.

Ref. LDS Bible Dictionary

Sponsored Links:
9th Dec, 2003 - 5:40pm / Post ID: #

Solomon Song

Anyway, this book within the Bible is not inspired. Did you know that?

Yes, if we open our Bibles in the first chapter of the Songs of Solomon we will read in the footnotes: "Note: the JST manuscript states that 'The Songs of Solomon are not inpired writings"

I also found this about the Old Testament and why the Songs of Solomon are may be not inspired writings:

"Translations in modern languages unfortunately place the literary works of the Old Testament in a group before the books of the prophets, suggesting a priority either in date or value. The ancient grouping places them last.5 The writings include the following books: Esther, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, the Song of Solomon (also known as the Song of Songs), and Lamentations (which appears in modern translations between Jeremiah and Ezekiel). Several of these books belong to a category of writing called wisdom literature, in which wisdom, or the capacity to go through life prudently and successfully, is conveyed through various literary styles. Perhaps the finest example of wisdom literature is the book of Proverbs, a collection of brief sayings that convey wisdom from one generation to the next. The book of Psalms, the hymn book of ancient Israel, is unparalleled in its expression of Israelite devotion.

It seems safe to say that notall parts of the Writings are of equal inspiration. We do not know much about authorship or date of composition of some of the material. Joseph Smith stated, "The Songs of Solomon are not Inspired writings."6 In addition, some Latter-day Saints find limited spiritual fulfillment in Ecclesiastes, which has a pessimism which seems to contradict the general mood of the Bible, or in Esther, which does not even mention God. And some of the Proverbs seem to focus on worldly values rather than on spiritual things. Although these books may not compare well in every way with the divine pronouncements in Genesis or in the prophetic books, they are nevertheless useful and instructive, and important lessons of life may be gleaned from them."

https://deseretbook.com/mormon-life/news/story?story_id=949

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 9th Dec, 2003 - 5:45pm

10th Dec, 2003 - 12:46am / Post ID: #

Song Of Solomon Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 9-Dec 03, 11:45 AM)
Have you ever read the Song of Soloman? If you have then you will know it is very sexually explicit

I cannot remember where I read it, but very recently I read that the Song of Solomon is actually a hymn to Astarte, that Solomon wrote as he became enticed to the heathen religions of his wives.

NightHawk

28th Mar, 2006 - 2:06pm / Post ID: #

Solomon Song

I found some interesting information about the Songs of Solomon. If the Song of Solomon is not inspired Scripture, then how come Doctrine and Covenants quote from it?

Song Of Solomon 6:10

Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?

From Doctrine and Covenants:

D&C 5:14-And to none else will I grant this power, to receive this same testimony among this generation, in this the beginning of the rising up and the coming forth of my church out of the wilderness-clear as the moon, and fair as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners.

D&C 105:31-But first let my army become very great, and let it be sanctified before me, that it may become fair as the sun, and clear as the moon, and that her banners may be terrible unto all nations;

D&C 109:73-That thy church may come forth out of the wilderness of darkness, and shine forth fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners;

It seems also that in the 1940's the Church had some type of song book called The Songs of Solomon

All will join in singing, "Creation Speaks With Awful Voice," Song of Solomon Folder No. 26. At the request of Brother Condie we should like you to sing the two stanzas just as he will lead us and then repeat the last two lines of the second, the fourth and the sixth stanza. This is because we have adopted a tune that will be familiar to you all. Everybody please join in singing, "Creation Speaks With Awful Voice," to the tune "Sweet Hour of Prayer," Hymn Book, page 354. (David O. McKay, Conference Report, October 1943, p.26, emphasis added)

https://www.bycommonconsent.com/2006/03/jus...ong-of-solomon/

What are your thoughts?

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 28th Mar, 2006 - 2:08pm

29th Mar, 2006 - 2:59am / Post ID: #

Solomon Song

Personally, I always thought that, as a heartfelt expression of love, that the Song of Solomon was definitely "inspired."

To find out that the D&C quotes it, suggests to me that these phrases are perhaps idiomatic. There are other Christian documents with this quoted, one being this regarding the Reformation:

The Church of the Second Reformation was a Covenanting Church. Her Covenant character was a distinguished attainment. The individual who enters into Covenant, with God "reaches to things that are before." He is a man of noble stature who makes God his own, and vows with all his heart to maintain the kingdom of God. The light of heaven shines upon him, into him, through him. So, a Church. When a Church enters into Covenant with God, she shines forth as the morning, "fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners." She is clothed with the glory of her Covenant God.

29th Mar, 2006 - 10:55am / Post ID: #

Song Of Solomon

Thanks for that input Farseer. Now I was wondering since that same statement you quoted, the part in question is between quotes, could be possible suggest that may be whoever wrote it was also quoting from the Song of Solomon?

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 29th Mar, 2006 - 10:56am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Mar, 2006 - 4:07am / Post ID: #

Song Solomon

I suppose that's possible, and perhaps the Song of Solomon is quoting something we don't have in the Standard Works? There are quite a number of other documents that aren't included, and we know there has been tampering with the current scriptures in translation, etc. Really, we can't know for sure until more scripture is forthcoming.

2nd May, 2006 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

Song Solomon Mormon Doctrine Studies

My Mother in law told me this just this last weekend that Songs of Solomon is not inspired. She taught seminary in the early 90's and was told to skip it. I was at a funeral with her this last weekend that was with another church they called this book the songs of wisdom.

> TOPIC: Song Of Solomon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,