Blood Atonement - Page 2 of 2

QUOTE I don't see the year 1978 as - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Jan, 2013 - 12:48am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
24th May, 2010 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

Blood Atonement - Page 2

The Salt Lake Tribune had an article today about convicted killer Ronnie Lee Gardner who announced last month his intention to be executed by firing squad. They made a connection with his Mormon upbringing and the thought that once a person has killed another, the only way to redeem themselves is through blood atonement. Some interesting information:

international QUOTE
In one of Utah's most notorious murder cases, Mormon Mark Hofmann forged dozens of LDS documents and, fearing discovery, killed two people with homemade pipe bombs in 1985.

Before Hofmann confessed, his father suggested that if guilty, his son would have to pay with his blood. Hofmann escaped the death penalty by pleading guilty to lesser charges and remains in prison.

Several years later, convicted child-killer Arthur Gary Bishop, who had been an Eagle Scout and Mormon missionary, worried about the state of his soul and whether salvation required his blood be spilled. Bishop consulted Gordon B. Hinckley, then a counselor in the LDS First Presidency and later the church president, who assured him that the method of execution made no difference to his place in the hereafter.

Hinckley said that blood atonement ended with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, according to sociologist L. Kay Gillespie, who described the exchange in The Unforgiven , a history of Utah's executions.

Still, Bishop said in a letter written before his June 10 death by lethal injection that his refusal to fight his execution was a "necessary requirement because of my past heinous crimes.''

In 1994, attorneys for condemned child-killer James Edward Wood in Pocatello, Idaho, argued that his defense was undermined by a visit from local LDS leaders who talked to him about shedding his own blood. Wood, a Mormon, was sentenced to death after pleading guilty to abducting, murdering and then later sexually molesting and dismembering 11-year-old Jaralee Underwood.

In response to the defense's allegations, the LDS First Presidency filed a document in an Idaho court denying the doctrine as it has been popularized. The church's affidavit included a copy of a 1978 letter from LDS apostle Bruce R. McConkie to University of Utah law student Thomas McAfee, outlining the church's position.

The Utah-based church supported capital punishment, the apostle wrote, but denied that blood atonement had anything to do with it.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Jul, 2012 - 6:41pm / Post ID: #

Atonement Blood

Name: Hal

Comments: This is one of those early church teachings that makes you wonder if they weren't a communist sect rather than a religious one claiming Christ as their savior. For me Christ was the only one to atone for our sins and nothing we did really could out do that. Sure if we did not take up the atonement in our lives we have to suffer but I believe that suffering is eternal and not up to men to do it with physical force, even murder.

7th Jul, 2012 - 10:26pm / Post ID: #

Blood Atonement Studies Doctrine Mormon

Can we accept the possibility that Pres. Young was just plain wrong about blood atonement and many of his other doctrines? I personally think that this is the case. He just got it wrong, and we have progressed to a better understanding of God and Christ and atonement. As for why McConkie and others intentionally misconstrued what Pres. Young said is because like many LDS they rather deny the skeletons in the closet and misunderstandings of doctrine than to admit it. (as if admitting to error in doctrine means that the gospel is not true) But that is how church leadership in his era dealt with such things.

10th Jul, 2012 - 12:47am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Atonement Blood

Isiah53:

international QUOTE
He just got it wrong,

You know I agree with the concept that prophets aren't infallible and all that but come on...we're not talking about the guy next door, we're talking about THE prophet.

11th Jul, 2012 - 12:04am / Post ID: #

Atonement Blood

international QUOTE

You know I agree with the concept that prophets aren't infallible and all that but come on...we're not talking about the guy next door, we're talking about THE prophet.

So then what is your definition of fallible? Why are we so reluctant to say that we received further light and knowledge on the subject that now counters what we did believe? How then do we explain that the official church position is that their is no such thing as blood atonement? Someone is incorrect? Who? Do we say that Pres. Young's views of blacks needing white people to tell them what to do was part of God's plan? That the black man is below the white man. Do we say that he is wrong or do we support this view of his?

The truth is that their is very little in Mormonism and we HAVE to believe, but there is a lot that we CAN believe. This is what I love about Mormonism because there is a lot of room to believe how we feel is appropriate regardless if we are a prophet of not.

Rather off topic, but...
There is a saying that goes like this:

The catholic doctrine says that the Pope is infallible, but the Catholics do not believe it. The Mormon doctrine says that the prophet is fallible, but the members do not believe it.

5th Nov, 2012 - 4:55pm / Post ID: #

Blood Atonement

No doubt, this was one of the more controversial doctrines taught by the early leaders of the church. What is more frightening about it is the unknown record of how many times it was executed. We only have an account of one well known inncident.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Jan, 2013 - 10:04am / Post ID: #

Blood Atonement - Page 2

Name: Michael

Title: Blood Atonement

Comments:

international QUOTE
Anyway, I find it very interesting that 1978 seems to be a banner year for denial of previous doctrines.

I don't see the year 1978 as a banner year for denial of any previous "Official" doctrine, but only for denial of previous folk doctrine and changing of official policy.

15th Jan, 2013 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

Blood Atonement Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

international QUOTE
I don't see the year 1978 as a banner year for denial of any previous "Official" doctrine, but only for denial of previous folk doctrine and changing of official policy.

This is discussed in another thread but let me just quickly say that I agree it was folk doctrine, but the brethren taught it as doctrinal for many years.

LatterDays there are a couple more examples but I think the one you refer to is the most popular.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Blood Atonement

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,