What Is Good And What Is Evil? - Page 7 of 7

Name: Bob Comments: Yes, I think you're - Page 7 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 5th Aug, 2009 - 10:43am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 7 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 
31st Jul, 2009 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

What Is Good And What Is Evil? - Page 7

There are some really interesting points in this discussion. I, for the record do not believe religion has anything to do with good or evil. I believe, regardless if you are religious or not, there is some evil as well as good. One would presumed that no one can be 100% evil, could we also not presume one to be 100% good? We all think of ourselves as good people, but there are many small day to day things we do which does not make us completely good. -beeping at a car who has wronged us, merging into the traffic without a wave, fibbing to a loved one etc. Its all small in comparison to 'bad behaviour', but can any of us say we've always been 100% good? and thus, can there be someone who is 100% evil?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st Jul, 2009 - 1:37am / Post ID: #

What Is Good And What Is Evil?
A Friend

Evil What Good What

QUOTE (jchampers @ 31-Jul 09, 12:55 AM)
but can any of us say we've always been 100% good? and thus, can there be someone who is 100% evil?

I believe that there are people who can't admit that they've been 100% evil but have been. Religion is a "master" per say and it governs how you react. Lust, gluttony, etc. Are also "masters". They are the most dominant ones in humans because they are an immediate high. They give you what feels good and easy instead of what is right. Those things are what people fall on without religion to tell them what is good and evil. To be 100% good would mean that you'd have to be perfect which none of us is. And being imperfect, mean that you are "bad" for lack of a better word.

Post Date: 1st Aug, 2009 - 10:35am / Post ID: #

What Is Good And What Is Evil? Health & Special Psychology

Name: Bob

Comments: I don't think it need only be religion that helps people stay clear of being evil or being "bad." I agree with you both that there can never be a 100% good or 100% evil person and I share the view that something outside of ourselves may be a guiding force (like religious morals) but I also find that the law or the professional codes and ethics I work by have a real effect too.

I'd say that these kinds of values can also come into conflict. In conservative Christain values, a woman cannot be a Minister, for example. I would call this kind of position immoral because it denies a woman a life chance based on gender alone. The conflict though can be seen in that my professional codes and ethics are geared towards recognising equality, as is the law (well, not all the time but y'know...) as is my personal feeling and the values I grew up with.

So religious doctrine doesn't help me here. I have to go to another source.

2nd Aug, 2009 - 11:41pm / Post ID: #

Page 7 Evil What Good What

I think if you can be 100% evil, there must be 100% good too. I do not believe anyone is 100% either. I may be a little naive however, even the most evil person would have had some good in their lives, so is that forgotten? Evil outweighs good, pure good?

Post Date: 5th Aug, 2009 - 10:43am / Post ID: #

Evil What Good What

Name: Bob

Comments: Yes, I think you're right there. Evil acts tend to outweigh good ones when it comes to deciding on someone's moral position. No one cares if Hitler was kind to his mother, for example and we can understand why this is so.

Ultimately I think, it comes down to a question of balance. If you generally "do the right thing" but sleep with a girl but don't call her back or something then the girl won't like you (or her friends) but, in general, most people would put you in the "good" column.

Equally, if you spend 75% of your time planning to and robbing people in the street then the fact that you also help your elderly mother about the house will endear you to few people.

We all make quick judgments so if someone is "mostly bad" we tend to stay well clear.

+  « First of 7 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: What Is Good And What Is Evil?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,