Handicap Perception of Self

Handicap Perception Self - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 1st Jun, 2006 - 12:25am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Do people with mental handicaps know they are handicapped?
Post Date: 10th Mar, 2003 - 1:16am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do people with mental handicaps know they are handicapped

I have recently become interested in psychology and a question that occurs every time I see a handicapped person is if they know that they are mentally handicapped and if they do if they truly understand it. I believe that they are aware that they are different but other than that, like usual I know crap.

Sponsored Links:
10th Mar, 2003 - 2:58pm / Post ID: #

Self Perception Handicap

Xtrasweetgirl, you're not wrong. It depends the case of the person. I have known several people with Dawn Syndrome for instance that they perfectly know they have a disability. It's amazing but some of them have even explain me some medical terms about their problems. So, it depends on how serious is the case, some who are really bad, cannot tell the difference but lots of them can and they're really smart people.
Look at the example of actor Chris Burke, he has down syndrome and acted as the star of the TV show 'Corky' and appeared also in 'Touched by an Angel'.
https://studentclubs.winona.edu/winonan/11-.../burke11100.htm

That's a link for some of the work  he does teaching about down syndrome.

Post Date: 14th Mar, 2003 - 4:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Handicap Perception of Self Health & Special Psychology

Yeah i do agree with you LDS it really depends on what the prob. is. In some cases the person may know it and i others they may not. There are many kinds of mental handicaps some are more severe than others. They can be as simple as learning at a slower rate than others in school all the way up to being mentally retarded. To judge what each individual person may or may not realize is a very hard thing to do without properly evaluating them.

BTW, i checked out that link and found some good answers to my questions.. Thanks for the link...

14th Mar, 2003 - 2:35pm / Post ID: #

Self Perception Handicap

BTW, i checked out that link and found some good answers to my questions.. Thanks for the link

I'm glad it helped you. smile.gif

1st Jun, 2006 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

Self Perception Handicap

I believe it depends on the level of metal awareness in each specific case. I know many who are aware of their condition, but accept it as normal and adapt, because they have to - there is nothing they can do about it.

> TOPIC: Handicap Perception of Self

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,