Are We Too Focused On Duty?

Are Focused Duty - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Jun, 2006 - 11:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2006 - 7:00am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I've sometimes asked myself whether we are too focused on duty or not. I see members struggling in their daily lives because they feel they come too short. At the same time it bothers me that other christians (non-LDS) seem to be so happy and go around doing a lot of good. If you talk with some of these non-LDS Christians they say they don't have to do it to be saved. But they are so happy to be saved, they want to do good as a result of that.

Don't we, as members of the Church, have all the reasons to be happy, so that we will go around and do good? Yet, some members feel they are met with leaders "threatening" them to do their duties, or else..... (pushing it to the extremes)

Do you see the difference? Non-LDS Christians do good because they're happy. LDS-members do good because it's their duty. We are working for something we hope to get. They are working for something they are taught they already have received (salvation).

What do you think? Are we too focused on duties as a motivation for doing good?

Reconcile Edited: joheri on 2nd Jun, 2006 - 7:01am

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jun, 2006 - 2:10pm / Post ID: #

Duty Focused We Are

If you talk with some of these non-LDS Christians they say they don't have to do it to be saved. But they are so happy to be saved, they want to do good as a result of that.

Well, I would not personally use the word "happy" but "complacent". There is a huge difference between the two of them. I think that a lot of our friends from other Christian denominations because they feel they do not have to do anything to be saved, they fall in a complacency state.

But I do understand your point about doing good deeds because we want to and not because we are pushed by leaders. I think it is one of the biggest problems we face in the Church. We have to be told everything and we are not really service oriented. When I think about my Branch, I just analyze how many people show up for a fun activity and how many show up for a service project. The numbers are scary. I do not know how it is in other countries.

I suppose it has a lot to do with having some type of change of heart and really feel the love of the Lord in your life. Service should be something we enjoy doing, no doubt about that, but that feeling is only achieved when we truly learn to love our neighbor. Yes, we focus too much about "duties".

4th Jun, 2006 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

Are We Too Focused On Duty? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Frankly, I don't see all that much difference between our church and others, when it comes to service and obedience.

- Pastors complain just as loudly about finances as our bishops do, so tithing isn't as forthcoming as they would like.

- I hear from members of other churches about apathy, abuse, and neglect within their churches.

- I see with my own eyes the same struggles in other congregations that we have.

Now, having said all that, I agree that we do spend a lot of time worrying about duty, and about fulfilling our duties. We hear over and over in conference addresses and church magazine articles about what our duties are and how we should magnify our callings ~ which tells me that many members are in the "same boat" when it comes to fulfilling their duties.

So how do we simply feel the joy of our salvation and give it back in gratitude in service to the Lord? I think this is very personal, and each person must find their way to that joyful service ~ and then lift others. Unfortunately, many people haven't found their way there yet. I know I'm guilty of not leaping out of bed or out of my chair every time there is a service project to be done. But I do what I can when I can, and do my best to be cheerful about it. There are scriptures which say that if we do a thing grudgingly, it would be better to have not done it at all. We need to find the joy in our service. It's up to each of us.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

> TOPIC: Are We Too Focused On Duty?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,