Racial & Gender Based Seeking Employees

Racial Gender Based Seeking Employees - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 8th Jul, 2006 - 10:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

"Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply."
6th Jun, 2006 - 3:46pm / Post ID: #

Racial Based Seeking Employees

I saw an ad once that was for a position of employment. At the end of everything it said: "Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply." Is it just me or is something wrong with that ad?

Now I know first reaction may be that they are actually promoting that they wish to have 'all' people there... but I do not know... it just sounds funny to me.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3224 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
6th Jun, 2006 - 9:39pm / Post ID: #

Employees Seeking Based Gender and Racial

It sounds just like what it is, and what all affirmative action programs are: discrimination. But since it is against white men, it is perfectly acceptable in the United States now. It is even upheld by the Supreme Court.

In general, hiring practices should be color blind. However, private businesses should be able to hire anyone they want, with no regulation by any government agency. If they decide to hire someone who is not the best candidate, based upon their own prejudices, then they will suffer the consequences of such a choice.

So, my statement about being color blind stands, in that any smart business will seek out the very best candidates for the position, without any regard to any other considerations. But that is completely frowned upon in the current Politically Correct United States of America.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

6th Jun, 2006 - 9:44pm / Post ID: #

Racial & Gender Based Seeking Employees History & Civil Business Politics

"Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply." Is it just me or is something wrong with that ad?

I have seen ads like that many times and I always thought they sounded "funny". First of all, just the phrase "people of color" is strange rolleyes.gif I do not think it should be allowed to advertise a job that way. I think if they want to make sure everyone can feel free to apply, then they should put (like other companies do) something like: "Rainbow and Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer".

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 8th Jul, 2006 - 5:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well, if these "affirmative action" programs keep going, some white guy is going to get mad, sue the companies, and violence and riots will occur. And if the exact opposite affirmative action, comes along, the aforementioned will happen again, except vice versa.

Oh, what a crazy world. rolleyes.gif

8th Jul, 2006 - 10:01pm / Post ID: #

Why are you so sure that white guys will sue, then riot? Most of us just go find a different job, and leave the stupid jobs to bog down with their own stupid rules.

It doesn't hurt the white men all that much when "affirmative action" programs are in place. It hurts the companies and institutions that use those policies and programs. It also hurts the "minorities" that are given the advantage by those policies and programs.

You may think that this sounds pretty conceited on the part of a "white man" to say these things. I am not saying that white men are always the best choice for a job, or for a college opening. What I am pointing out is that if a company or an institution automatically eliminates or disrespects ANY person on the basis of their race, they are hurting themselves by excluding many excellent prospects.

In the case of institutions of higher learning (colleges and universities), Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell, both African American men, highly respected academics, say that affirmative action programs in universities tend to harm the recipients of those programs much more than they help them.

For example, if University of X uses ACT scores as a primary method of choosing students, but gives a score advantage to people from one particular race, that means that the people from that race are now competing on an uneven playing field - ONCE THEY ENTER THE FIELD. They got an unfair advantage getting into the university, but are not all as prepared or capable as the students who DIDN'T get the advantages. Once they are in the university, they must compete with people who have better ACT scores, which indicates more preparation or more native ability.

It certainly doesn't happen all the time, with every individual from any minority. But it certainly happens often enough, that certain races show a significantly higher dropout and/or failure rate from universities that provide these unfair advantages to them.

In jobs, this becomes much more cutthroat. Imagine two companies, both selling similar products at similar prices. Let's say that they are selling water conditioners. This means that almost all of their sales come from individuals making sales calls into peoples' homes.

One company, X, uses a very aggressive affirmative action program. Y uses a completely neutral employment policy, with no regard to a person's race, religion, etc. Which one is likely to get the best sales people? It certainly isn't the one that excludes a large portion of possible applicants!

That is the problem with affirmative action programs and other blatantly racist hiring practices. Since they exclude a significant portion of the possible applicants before they even begin, they also restrict themselves from enjoying the benefits of those same employees.

I would also like to point out that this is a huge problem with promotional practices within companies. What it results in is tremendously motivated, capable white male managers and executives, and frequently mediocre managers and executives from other demographics.

In my opinion, anyway (a slightly experienced opinion).

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

> TOPIC: Racial & Gender Based Seeking Employees

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,