Hyper Or Just Being A Child?

Hyper Child - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 19th Aug, 2006 - 6:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
How do you tell the difference?
Post Date: 15th Nov, 2004 - 12:10pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

FEW PEOPLE ARE TRULY HYPERACTIVE

Lately, I often seem to be interviewing a family with a newly diagnosed hyperactive child -- who, to my thinking, has few hyperactive traits.
Ref. deseretnews.com

Sponsored Links:
15th Nov, 2004 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

Child Being Or Hyper

Interesting article. The author says that most people do not understand what hyperactivity is, a personality type, and they decide to medicate the child in order to change it, but to change a hyperactive child is like to try to change an ethnic's make up, he says. Most children are medicated when in fact are not truly hyperactive and they do not need to be medicated.

"There are certain traits to hyperactivity, such as the inability to sit still, that annoy most people. Sitting is the bane of any hyperactive's regimen because it is inactive. It's passive, and passivity is always spiritually defeating.
Sitting still hurts. Active muscles cramp, skin crawls with inactivity, the mind screams for stimulation. The hyperactive will be miserable unless he is seduced by an interesting mental connection; then he can sit.

A hyperactive child who is nondirected will disrupt more, annoy more, demand more than ordinary children. The project then is to direct him, and that begins in the home.
Accepting hyperactivity as a personality type that often needs direction will help more sedate adults understand just what it is. Allowing for the physical needs of the child will make homes, classrooms and play environments more manageable. The key word is "action," and that's hard to do from a seated position."

16th Nov, 2004 - 3:23am / Post ID: #

Hyper Or Just Being A Child? Health & Special Psychology

I believe that there are a lot of medicated children out there who don't need medication at all -- their parents are just too impatient to deal with them. And now they are discovering that those medications can cause suicidal tendencies! It's just too sad.

IMO
Roz

30th Nov, 2004 - 1:42pm / Post ID: #

Child Being Or Hyper

Interesting article, I recommend a healthy reading of it.

Hyperactivity disorder tied to brain irregularities

CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Brain scans of children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder show abnormalities in the fiber pathways along which brain signals pass, scientists said Monday.

The finding indicates the disorder may be more than just a chemical imbalance, they added.

Using an imaging technique called diffusion tensor imaging, researchers found subtle anatomical differences in children diagnosed with ADHD that may affect communication between key areas of the brain -- the frontal cortex, basal ganglia, brain stem and cerebellum.

"These areas are involved in the process that regulate attention, impulsive behavior, motor activity and inhibition -- the key symptoms in ADHD children," said lead researcher Manzar Ashtari, an associate professor of radiology and psychiatry at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System in New Hyde Park, New York...

https://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/conditions/...reut/index.html

Post Date: 11th Dec, 2004 - 5:56am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Child Being Or Hyper

For your consideration, the experiences of a mother of two children with ADHD...

Thomas, who will be 7 in late January, was medically diagnosed as ADHD over 2 years ago. His was no mere case of being over-restless. He exhibited profound behavioral abnormalities which even included physical aggression and mild self-mutilation. My husband and I wouldn't have minded if he had been doing normal kid mischief like scribbling on a wall. Practically every child does that at least once, even in the most highly supervised homes.

A nutritionist friend of ours suggested Tom might have a milk allergy, explaining that aallergies such as this can often be a contributing factor in unacceptable behavior. We took Tom off all milk products and derivitaves (You'd be amazed just how much milk is in the most unlikely places! shocked.gif' /><!--endemo-->  ). Some of his worst behaviors lessened within a few weeks after his initial withdrawl, but not enough. Oh, his milk allergy was medically confirmed about 6 months later...<br /><br />He was seen by a child psychiatrist, who originally diagnosed him as having bipolar disorder. This conclusion was based on the fact that I am bipolar. Bipolar disorder can begin to manifest at such an early age, but it's quite rare. The first round of meds were prescribed. Little good came of it, except that Thomas could finally sleep soundly all night. Otherwise, he was still aggressive, non-compliant, over-<!--WORD2URL-01--><a href='https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showforum=91' title='' target='_blank'><b><!--END WORD2URL-01-->emotional<!--WORD2URL-02--></b></a><!--END WORD2URL-02-->, extremely demanding, highly impulsive, unfocused, etc. His doctor figured he must have ADHD. New meds were prescribed, and appropriately adjusted over the course of a few months. <br /><br />During this time, our little guy, Colin, who will be 4 next Thursday, started getting into serious trouble. He had been exhibiting practically the same behaviors as Tom for quite some time, although not as severely. He did not show any physical signs of having a milk allergy, and as far as we know, he doesn't have one. Anyhow, his aggression, especially towards Tom, had gotten so out of hand that he was injuring people. Colin wasn't merely
A behavior analyst was assigned to our family over a year ago. With the correct meds and some new behavioral modification training, Tom is no longer considered a client. Colin, however...

After being seen by the behavior analyst for a year with only slight improvement, Colin was finally seen by Tom's psychiatrist. In under 5 minutes of seeing Colin in action, the doctor asked why we had waited so long to get him treated. rolleyes.gif Well, due to Colin's tender age, doc didn't want to go right out and slap the ol' ADHD diagnosis on him. Instead, he's currently labeled as having "impulse control problems." C'mon... if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, swims like a duck... it must be a duck! Anyway, Colin's been on ADHD meds for almost 6 months and there's been a dramatic improvement.

It is important to note that both my husband and I are recovering alkies/addicts. We didn't want to have to have either of our boys on any unnecessary meds. We did everything possible to avoid this reality, but some conditions do require more than non-chemical measures.

24th Jan, 2005 - 9:56am / Post ID: #

Although the first part says 'Utah Moms' I think it is applicable to all moms...

2 WOMEN CREATE BOOK OF STUFF THAT UTAH MOMS NEED TO KNOW
Addie is at that stage where everything she can reach has to go in her mouth. Her brother Josh is older, 2 1/2. He's at the "that's mine" stage. Then there is their playmate, Logan, who is 1. His stage is this: "I'm fine as long as my mommy doesn't walk out of the room."
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...06461%2C00.html

ADHD: CURRENT THINKING ABOUT AN OLD DISORDER

Dr. Russell A. Barkley, a professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina, is an authority on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. He's the author of "ADHD and the Nature of Self Control" and "Taking Charge of ADHD."
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...06463%2C00.html

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 21st Feb, 2005 - 10:09am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hyper Or Being Child

When my oldest child was three, our pediatrician diagnosed him with hyperactivity and ADD. She wanted to medicate him, and at such a young age! I was quite disturbed and perturbed at her diagnoses and never went back. Instead, I got a different pediatrician, one that was supportive, and we made different arrangements.

I cleaned out the garage, ran heating and cooling ducts to it, and put carpet down. Our garage is now a play area for my kids. It turned out to be good because my wife can not longer take them out to play. Instead, they can run around and even ride their bikes and trikes in the garage. They also have the responsibility of picking it up every night.

Now my oldest is much better behaved, never watches tv, and helps with chores around the house at the age of almost five! He has so much energy, but is very well behaved and very helpful to my wife. I think medicating children should be an absolute last resort, not a first line of defense for a hyper child.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2006 - 6:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hyper Or Being Child Psychology Special & Health

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was about seven. I was hyper and really didn't pay attention in class and would constantly draw and move around instead of paying attention in class. I was sent to get tested and was found to have the disorder and I was put on Ridalin and after that I actually got good grades and paid better attention in class. I mean, I still got distracted but not as bad as usual. It slowed me down but I still had (have) an over active imagination that helps me write cool fiction stories and create art work and do theater. I think most people who have ADD or ADHD tend to be good at art.

So really I think of someone who has ADD or ADHD are kids who have their own world where they are very creative and are good at some form of art or science. A wondering mind. It is not good to diagnose a kid based off of being hyper and not sitting still. I mean, that is a trait of many young kids. Now if the kid gets distracted easily and do not pay attention well and have to move every two seconds it may be they have ADD or ADHD. But it is harder to determine that based off of being hyper. Face it, sitting still in school for little kids is difficult. That's why recess was invented and is the highlight of most of the elementary kids day.

So it is hard to say but I definitely had ADD and still have it. But it is almost impossible to know till later on in the kids life.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Hyper Or Just Being A Child?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,