Racism In Canada

Racism Canada - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 3rd Jan, 2007 - 8:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

You can't drink here...
Post Date: 27th Jul, 2006 - 12:26pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Racism In Canada

QUEBEC BAR OWNER FINED FOR REFUSING BLACK CUSTOMERS

A Montreal-area bar has been fined $25,000 for refusing to serve black customers.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/20...m-montreal.html

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Aug, 2006 - 8:58pm / Post ID: #

Racism In Canada
A Friend

Canada Racism

What I find really interesting, is the (white) reporter's viewpoint:

"I don't think he [the owner] was trying to be mean, it was just ignorance," said Alarie of the incident. "I'm convinced it was an isolated act, you don't see much of that in Montreal."

I haven't been to Montreal so I can't say for sure... but it seems to me that from a standpoint of logic, ignorant attitudes about race are never "isolated incidents". Maybe that reporter should have spent more than just one week, pretending to be black?

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2007 - 8:30am / Post ID: #

Racism In Canada
A Friend

Racism In Canada History & Civil Business Politics

I haven't been to Montreal so I can't say for sure... but it seems to me that from a standpoint of logic, ignorant attitudes about race are never "isolated incidents".

Ms. Trinichic, you have razor sharp instincts. Seeing that you perceptively commented on the subject and perhaps I can place forward some historical evidence to support your sixth sense.

Placed within context of what has transpired in Quebec society in the past decades it does not surprise me. French-Canadians in Quebec see themselves as being surrounded by and Anglo (English) sea and this was first recognized in the granting of the Quebec Act by the war weary British who in 1774, shortly after the North American conquest granted that Quebec would continue to be governed by the French Civil Code and also recognized the Roman Catholic Church. This translated into Quebec's claim within Canada as a distinct society. As it turns out, they weren't being very good Catholics and the birth rate fell in line with that of a Western industrial society and because of this the province sought and acquired control over immigration attracting immigrants; primarily those from French speaking colonies.

Along with Bill 101 (French only language) in 1977, the political manifestation of these ideas were the Bloc-Quebecois (B.Q.) and the Parti-Quebecois that held a referendum on with a vote for separation from Canada in 1995, which if successful would result in sovereignty association. The separatists lost the vote by the slightest of margins. To this time the only thing that came out of Quebec was the mutual grumbling created when immigrants wanted to educate their children in English and some people that called their cab companies requesting that they not send them Haitian cab drivers. Signs of trouble began to surface during the political campaign when it was suggested that only people who were "pure lain" should the only ones able to vote. This literally translated into some kind of pedigree that could trace itself back to settlement in historical Quebec but was soon dismissed as rumor, and it should be noted that immigrants were encouraged to vote for separation as an inclusive part of the Franco-phone nation (French- Speaking). In their first speech moments after their loss, the separatists didn't waste anytime in lashing out. It was encapsulated in the infamous complaint about money and ethnic vote, which was translated to be the Jews of Westmont (area in Montreal) and the Franco-phone immigrants. In the end bore a cruel irony for the separatists and sigh of relief for others however, it is generally understood that this debate will not be over in near future as the political aim is separation and nationhood with association with Canada.

> TOPIC: Racism In Canada

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,