Why Are Rich People Never Satisfied? - Page 2 of 4

Yellowknife said: QUOTE However, there are - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 10th Jul, 2006 - 7:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
6th Jul, 2006 - 5:29am / Post ID: #

Why Are Rich People Never Satisfied? - Page 2

Nighthawk, you took most of the wind out of my sails, but I will add just one thought. I have personally known 6 people that received a large inheritance. 5 of those people were what I would define as greedy. Today they have nothing to show for it. Then there's the lady I'm married to. She invested her money wisely and owns a business. There are some, because she is worth more than the average worker, that would say she is greedy. They wouldn't stop to think that she pays the wages of 6 employees, helps the local economy by keeping merchandise moving, which creates more employment in factories, pays a pile of taxes, and works 12 hours a day to keep all this going. If this is greed, there should be a lot more greed! I believe, as Knighthawk does, that many people thought to be greedy are keeping this country moving economically

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 102 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.2%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Jul, 2006 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

Why Are Rich People Never Satisfied?
A Friend

Satisfied People Rich Why

Are you arguing Gordon Gekko's view? Greed is only good as a motivator not as a end, as that wonderful movie shows.

Greed is good when you want to accomplish something. Without, it, you became a real low rat.

Greed is bad, when you start enslaving people, destroying the environment, doing whatever is "neccessary", to accomplish achieving a million dollars.

On a side note, the interesting thing about capitalism is that you first have to give before you recieve. Think about that.

8th Jul, 2006 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

Why Are Rich People Never Satisfied? History & Civil Business Politics

From Yellowknife

On a side note, the interesting thing about capitalism is that you first have to give before you recieve. Think about that.

From Mousetrails
They wouldn't stop to think that she pays the wages of 6 employees, helps the local economy by keeping merchandise moving, which creates more employment in factories, pays a pile of taxes, and works 12 hours a day to keep all this going.

Are you talking about giving the time and effort it takes to live above the poverty line? I much prefer being busy and productive rather than criticizing people who are. I went to college at night and worked two jobs to get ahead. My wife worked her way through college cooking, washing dishes, and working at a bakery. We are both in our 60s still working two jobs so we can live comfortably. I'm not bitter because other people have more than me.
Why are you so bitter about people with money? Did someone teach you to be bitter, or did you sit around one day and decide you would be more comfortable being bitter rather than earning your way?

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 102 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.2%

Post Date: 8th Jul, 2006 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Satisfied People Rich Why

First of all, who says I am bitter about people with money?

I just saying that for every Gordon Gekko out there, there are truly rich people who are dedicated to humanity.

Moreover, people forget capitalism is a game. A serious, and important one, I agree, but it's a game. Build the biggest buisness, make money of your shares in the stock market, or perhaps make your stock optionable, which is a quick way to make money.

Money is a game.

I believe that rich people are very generous, for the most part.

If it wasn't for seventeenth century venture capitalists we would not be in America.

If it wasn't for the Union Pacific and Central Pacific, we would still be traveling in horses.

If it wasn't for Edison, who was a capitalist, as well as an inventor, we wouldn't have movies and lighting.

If it wasn't for Ford, we wouldn't have mass-produced cars.

However, there are people who are greedy and self centered. Examples are Gordon Gekko, and Ivan Boesky, as well as the Enron people. It still haunts me that Enron's CEO's were shorting their stock, while encouraging their employees to buy more!

Out of say a hundred people this is what I would say about rich people.

25 Greedy

55 Humanistic

20 Indifferent as long as we make money

9th Jul, 2006 - 2:00am / Post ID: #

Satisfied People Rich Why

Yellowknife

Greed is good when you want to accomplish something. Without, it, you became a real low rat.  Greed is bad, when you start enslaving people, destroying the environment, doing whatever is "neccessary", to accomplish achieving a million dollars.  On a side note, the interesting thing about capitalism is that you first have to give before you recieve. Think about that.

Not knowing you or your tone of voice it sounded bitter to me.
Money is a game.

Sorry, I don't feel that way at all. Money to me is just a tool that buys my food, transportation to work, the roof over my head, and the clothes on my back.

I don't believe "rich people" are required to be generous. What they do with their money is no business of mine.
If it wasn't for seventeenth century venture capitalists we would not be in America.  If it wasn't for the Union Pacific and Central Pacific, we would still be traveling in horses.  If it wasn't for Edison, who was a capitalist, as well as an inventor, we wouldn't have movies and lighting.  If it wasn't for Ford, we wouldn't have mass-produced cars.

What you have actually pointed out here is that riches sitting in a bank vault aren't doing anyone any good, including the "rich" owner. If it's not invested it's not "working." When it's invested it makes a lot of wheels turn and creates work for people. Capitalism is what makes the world turn, yours and mine.
It still haunts me that Enron's CEO's were shorting their stock, while encouraging their employees to buy more!

About this one you are right on, but how many people are there like this? 1 in 1000? 1 in 10,000 or a million? I think your numbers are really high.

Post Date: 10th Jul, 2006 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do you really think I am bitter about rich people?

Yes, money is a tool to buy food, and clothes, etc but I ment investing money is a game, albeit a serious game, a game.

I am only bitter about companies which take advantage of humanity, not make money. Making money is a good thing.

But companies like Enron, with their accounting scandal, Exxon Mobil, who spilled oil over Alaska, Dow, which still refuses to accept responsbility in India, and Chevron which takes advantage of people in Nigeria!

I am just bitter about rich people who put figures like net worth, market positioning, quarterly/annual earnings, assets, liabilities, etc and in effect let money run(and ruin) their lives!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Jul, 2006 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

Why Rich People Satisfied - Page 2

Quote Yellowknife

Exxon Mobil, who spilled oil over Alaska,

I can't speak for Dow and Chevron, but do you know if you walk barefoot on the beach in Ventura, California you will have oil tar sticking to your feet? Oil seeps out of the ocean floor naturally and nature has been taking care of it for eons. Yes, a harbor ( not all of Alaska ) in Alaska was an awful mess, but nature ( more than man ) took care of it.
Do you really think I am bitter about rich people?

You seem to have answered your own question here.
I am just bitter about rich people who put figures like net worth, market positioning, quarterly/annual earnings, assets, liabilities, etc and in effect let money run(and ruin) their lives!

10th Jul, 2006 - 7:39pm / Post ID: #

Why Rich People Satisfied Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Yellowknife said:

However, there are people who are greedy and self centered. Examples are Gordon Gekko, and Ivan Boesky, as well as the Enron people.

True but there are LOTS of middle-class and poor people who are also very greedy and self-centered. It's not different although most people tend to lash the rich for being that way and justify the poor because he/she does not have money.

Most people seem to believe that rich people have like a responsibility to be generous and help others, why is that not expected of others? As Mousetrails pointed out, what the rich person does with his money is his business, he does not have to be generous or give to charity. It is a totally personal decision and whoever expects them to do that, are wrong in my opinion.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Why Are Rich People Never Satisfied?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,