Are Some Sins Unforgivable? - Page 2 of 2

QUOTE (TommyBoy) I believe that suicide is - Page 2 - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 10th Aug, 2007 - 1:52am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 10th Dec, 2006 - 5:10am / Post ID: #

Are Some Sins Unforgivable?
A Friend

Are Some Sins Unforgivable? - Page 2

Well, the Bible says that all sin is equally repulsive in the sight of God, so I think that no sin is unforgivable. Because God is perfect and holy, even a "small" sin, like lying to your boss about what time you came in, is an abomination. So no matter what you did, you are no better than the worst murderer in history.

There is another thing that makes me think that no sin is unforgivable. By saying that a certain sin is unforgivable, we are saying that Jesus's sacrifice on the cross was not strong enough to save us completely. It makes us more powerful than God if we say that we can do something out of his control. And I am certainly nowhere near as powerful as God.

Sponsored Links:
10th Dec, 2006 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

Unforgivable Sins Are

Well, the Bible says that all sin is equally repulsive in the sight of God, so I think that no sin is unforgivable.

Actually, the Bible does speak about a sin being unforgivable. Let me quote some:

"And everyone that says a word against the Son of Man, that will be forgiven; But he that blasphemes against The Holy Spirit will not be forgiven (Luke 12:10)

"Whoever blasphemes against The Holy Spirit will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of everlasting sin." (Mark 3:29)

"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come" (Matthew 12: 31-32)

I think these Scriptures talk by themselves. There IS a an unforgivable sin and that is denying the Holy Ghost.

Rather off topic, but...
By saying that a certain sin is unforgivable, we are saying that Jesus's sacrifice on the cross was not strong enough to save us completely. It makes us more powerful than God if we say that we can do something out of his control. And I am certainly nowhere near as powerful as God.

There are a couple of threads you may want to check that deals with Salvation:

https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index....topic=7573&st=0

Also the topic of Baptism:

https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index....showtopic=14706

Feel free to explore also any other topics you may be interested.

Post Date: 12th Dec, 2006 - 1:56am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Are Some Sins Unforgivable? Revealed Bible The

Actually, the Bible does speak about a sin being unforgivable.

Looking at the verses you gave me, I see a common theme. I think to get the true feel of the verse, you have to look at the context.

8"I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God. 9But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. 10And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. (Luke 10:8-10)

In these verses, Jesus is talking about judgement, both man's and God's. I think that the first part of verse 10 is very key. It speaks about blaspheming against Jesus as a forgivable sin. But what is the difference between blaspheming against Jesus and the Holy Spirit? Blaspheming against Jesus is what we do with our mouths. An example of this would be someone saying "Jesus was just a radical who didn't know when to shut up." However, blaspheming the Holy Spirit is more of a heart condition than a verbal condition. To blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to deny God's gift of salvation and choose to go to Hell rather than to join his family. And if you die blaspheming the Holy Spirit, I believe you will go to Hell, because that means that you are not saved.

28I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them. 29But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

This is very similar to the first verse in that it first explains that blaspheming Jesus is forgivable. It also specifically says that it is the Holy Spirit that cannot be denied.

30"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. 31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

This verse mimics the pattern of the first two, but it also includes a support for my reasoning. By including "this age or in the age to come," it implies a judgement scene (both the first judgement at death and Judgement Day). If blaspheming the Holy Spirit is just a verbal occurance, why would it alone be the deciding factor in your eternal fate? Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the reflection of your heart's condition (saved or lost), which is the deciding factor in your eternal destination.

Rather off topic, but...
Thanks for bringing up the other thread. I found it quite interesting, and will probably participate in that discussion!

12th Dec, 2006 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Unforgivable Sins Are

That is certainly one way to view it. But that is, of course, only valid within the framework of Calvinist-based theology. Granted that most of modern "fundamentalist" or "evangelical" Christianity is built upon that foundation, it is still only a recent (historical) idea.

But even within that framework, denying the Holy Ghost is an "unforgivable" sin, as you explained.

Within my religious framework, wherein the ultimate character of a person is what is judged in the Judgement, blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is absolutely an unforgivable sin. It consists of having received a full revelation of Jesus Christ and His Father, then denying that revelation. As one person put it, it can be compared to a person standing outside on a sunny day, at noon, and stating that there is no sun. Of course, someone who is deranged could do this, but that doesn't count. What counts is when a person knowingly (not based upon faith, but upon knowledge) denies Jesus Christ.

Post Date: 10th Aug, 2007 - 1:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Unforgivable Sins Are

"Well, the Bible says that all sin is equally repulsive in the sight of God, so I think that no sin is unforgivable. Because God is perfect and holy, even a "small" sin, like lying to your boss about what time you came in, is an abomination. So no matter what you did, you are no better than the worst murderer in history."

Not to call you out cheyenne but I learned that there are two different sins. A venial sin was described as a turning away from God, like stealing a pack of gum or using the Lord's name in vain. There is also mortal sins which are a complete turning your back on God like murder, rape and others of that sort.
I believe that suicide is unforgivable in the sense that God gives you your body and mind with gifts and how you use those gifts is what you give back to God. I am not Calvanist or Lutheran in believing that not everyone in given the proper amount of gifts to get into heaven. I believe that everyone has enough of their gifts to get into heaven but suicidal people never use them. Also, I think that is why Judas hung himself never to be in the perpetual light with Jesus.

10th Aug, 2007 - 1:52am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (TommyBoy)
I believe that suicide is unforgivable.

Where in the Bible does it say that suicide is unforgivable? When one reaches the point of suicide it can be due to a series of many unfortunate factors and the person may not be in the correct state of mind at the time.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Are Some Sins Unforgivable?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,