Who Is Stronger?

Who Stronger - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 20th Jul, 2006 - 11:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

The quitter or the refuser?
Post Date: 20th Jul, 2006 - 1:35am / Post ID: #

Who Is Stronger?

Who Is Stronger?

When it comes to drugs is the quitter (abused, but quit) or the refuser (never started) stronger? What is your view?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Jul, 2006 - 3:40am / Post ID: #

Who Is Stronger?
A Friend

Stronger Who

Good question. I think it depends on circumstance. How long has the quitter abused? How addictive was the substance? What kind of support did he/she recieve that helped him/her to quit? How enticing was the substance that the refuser refused? What support did he/she have that helped him/her to refuse?

These kind of questions are vital.

But for now, I'll assume that the substance in both cases is highly addictive and that neither people, quitter nor refuser, recieved any help or was structured on any morals. The quitter abused the substance long enough to get completely addicted, and the substance was as enticing to the refuser as it was addicting to the quitter.

In that case, I would have to say that they are almost equally strong but that the quitter turned out better. I say equally strong because:

- It would have been hard for the refuser to refuse the substance, as it was so enticing. But he/she refused it nonetheless. "Strength Score": 1
- The quitter gave in to the enticement. "Strength Score": -1
- The quitter would have become instantly addicted and would have continued in the addiction for quite a while. However, the strength needed to pull himself/herself out of the addiction would have taken almost twice the effort as simply refusing the substance in the first place. "Strength Score": 1

Thus, they are equally strong.

I say that the quitter turned out better because the strength he/she found in quitting could have only been found in something such as an acquisition of morals or the acquiring of a good friend (if it were a good friend that the person found, and not morals, then it would cause him/her to better off because a good friend is always a good thing).

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2006 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Who Is Stronger?
A Friend

Who Is Stronger? Health & Special Psychology

I have to disagree, the quitter is the stronger of the two. Reason being is the the refuser is in a battle of will alone. Refusing the drug can be easier because you can list all the bad reasons for taking them and the consequences. The quitter is not only in a battle of will, but in a battle of physical addiction. So while the refuser may initially have a stronger will, he may not have. The quitter may have wanted to start the drug and wasn't necessarily tempted into it. It takes twice as much will power and physical restraint to quit once addicted than it does to just never start.

> TOPIC: Who Is Stronger?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,