Breast Feeding Offensive?

Breast Feeding Offensive - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 29th Jun, 2010 - 8:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
4th Aug, 2006 - 11:01pm / Post ID: #

Note, this Thread is NOT the same as the other Thread talking about when it is too much as in age. This Thread is about showing the action of breastfeeding as being offensive for magazines, print and media in general.

READERS of a US parenting magazine are crying foul over the publication's latest cover depicting a woman breastfeeding, with some calling the photo offensive and disgusting.

"I was shocked to see a giant breast on the cover of your magazine," one woman from Kansas wrote in reaction to the picture in Babytalk, a free magazine that caters to young mothers.

Breast Feeding Offensive? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
5th Aug, 2006 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #

Offensive Feeding Breast

I find this controversy to be ridiculous. I saw the picture and the first thing that came to my mind was: "What a beautiful thing!" specially seeing the baby's eyes bonding with his mom. What I did find disturbing were the comments of the people who felt "embarrassed" "horrified" about the picture. I just do not understand it at all, they are either sickos having all sort of thoughts, very ignorant or hypocrites. Just as one person said in the article, you see celebrities all the times showing their breasts and they do not find that "offensive", you see US shows with all sort of sexual content on it...yet they do not find that offensive, they even consume that type of shows. And then they see a baby eating and they find that disturbing?! THEY make me sick. I think the US have a huge problem with breastfeeding based on my experience. In Argentina and Trinidad breastfeeding in public is something common, nobody makes a big deal about it but while I was in the US, I saw people staring at me, and even giving me "looks" because I was breastfeeding in public. It made me very uncomfortable. I suppose that in the "era" of bottles and formula, breastfeeding is frown upon.

6th Aug, 2006 - 11:46am / Post ID: #

Breast Feeding Offensive? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I personally do not find public breast feeding offensive, as long as it is discreet. I think the outrage may have to do with some confused minds not being able to tell the difference between the sleaze and an innocent portrayal of mother feeding baby. The percentage is 57%, so you see that public opinion is very divided. I would think that those opposed would also find celebrity breasts and sex on TV offensive. I would personally be uncomfortable with it just because of the cultural ramifications. But then again, there are many things others do that I wouldn't do, for example tell my life story to the whole world, as in Oprah. The culture is an important consideration, I think.

Offtopic but,
I understand the culture is very different in Trinidad and am curious about something. Is it common for women to breastfeed in Church there? We have a woman in my ward which does this and a lot of people find it offensive.

Reconcile Edited: Valla on 6th Aug, 2006 - 11:47am

19th Aug, 2006 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

Offensive Feeding Breast

Valla, yes it is very common and I am actually doing it with Jonah and nobody makes a big deal about it or find it offensive. Same in Argentina. Actually people see it and perceive it as something beautiful and honorable in my country.

I just cannot fully understand how the US culture can feel offended by a a mother feeding a child but at the same time put "Sex and the City" as one of the greatest shows ever.

20th Aug, 2006 - 1:46am / Post ID: #

Offensive Feeding Breast

Ignorance isn't always bliss, apparently smile.gif Quite often it's offended and horrified.

I thought the picture was a little over done for America - we tend to be so Puritanical when it comes to bodily *functions*, but not so when it comes to sexually explicit baring of bodily *parts*. They would have done better to have covered the breast, but still caught that baby's sweet expression.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

You all know how I feel about breastfeeding!

Post Date: 29th Jun, 2010 - 12:00pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

'Breastfeeding creepy', says mag

There is widespread criticism of an article in a parenting magazine that describes breastfeeding as 'creepy'. Ref. Source 5

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Jun, 2010 - 6:34pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Breast Feeding Offensive

It seems to me that a lot of people enjoy being "shocked" and "horrified." I wonder if these people have ever experienced anything truly horrific.

I must say the idea that a mother feeding her infant is anything other than natural is a bit "shocking" to me. Still, I have to admit, as a man who has female friends with infants, I am not always sure what women prefer when I am at their house and they need to feed their infants. I think this is because I knew them as single women first and most of them weren't popping off their tops willy-nilly then. But I am not "horrified!"

29th Jun, 2010 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

Breast Feeding Offensive Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

I think its all about how its done. There are some women who discreetly just give the newborn the nipple, by the way its only the nipple they need. Other women just pull out the whole basketball and just let it hand there probably those are the ones that shock people. I agree with you on that though, if that shocks them then maybe they need to go on a roller coaster or something.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Breast Feeding Offensive?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,