Adhd And Children Who Are Gifted - Page 2 of 2

Thanks I might just do that. We already saw - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 16th Feb, 2007 - 12:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
14th Feb, 2007 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

Adhd And Children Who Are Gifted - Page 2

I do believe what you are saying part of me believe they have a form of ADHD.
I do not believe however they need to be on medicine. I would of course have them tested as soon as I can afford it.
Two of my friends kids have ADHD they are both on medication. They are both very bright kids one is 17years and the other is 10.

Paintingsblue

Sponsored Links:
14th Feb, 2007 - 2:30am / Post ID: #

Gifted Who Children Adhd

If they have problems focusing only, maybe is only ADD. ADHD is when besides having trouble concentrating they are hyperactive.

They are eight years old, if they have being doing great at school so far I do not think there is nothing to worry about. Now if their grades were dropping then probably you should be concerned.

15th Feb, 2007 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

Adhd And Children Who Are Gifted Health & Special Psychology

My daughter is doing a lot better this year. She is not as hyperactive as she was last year. Her focusing has gotten better. Her math grade was really low and as far as her other grades I have not seen her report yet.
Her brother on the other hand, has focusing problems and attention issues. What really alerted me is when Anna said this about her self, and she also said, it causes her to fail to stay on task and complete assignments on time. This is my sons's problem, we had a meeting with his teacher on Monday, and she also added to this his immaturity as well as following instructions.
Paintingblue

15th Feb, 2007 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Gifted Who Children Adhd

Paintingblue, what you are describing sounds just like ADD/ADHD, specially this:

she also added to this his immaturity as well as following instructions.

has focusing problems and attention issues

t causes her to fail to stay on task and complete assignments on time

Once these kids are diagnosed, there is a natural way to go WITHOUT putting them on meds, you are in the USA, most teachers are supposed to be trained in dealing with kids with ADD/ADHD. Also, there are many new techniques to help them with focusing issues.

Let us know how the meeting goes on Monday. Like I always say, children with ADD/ADHD are very smart, lots of them gifted and even though sometimes it seems like they could control themselves and their attention issues, they really naturally can't...as well as the ability to follow instructions. That's why meds are not really THE solution, but there are also techniques used by psychologists to help these kids to follow instructions and maintain some sort of normalcy on behavior.

I do notice though that as the grow older the ability to control themselves improves tremendously.

15th Feb, 2007 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

Gifted Who Children Adhd

I do believe that he has ADD. This the US yes, but in public school you have to be careful, when they do testing it is on his record for life it can be good for his benefit or not depending on the school. If he was in private school I would have him tested, not public.
I am going to have their docter recommend someone to me. Whatever the outcome I will let the school know his or her findings. I am glad you bought this topic up.
Paintingblue

15th Feb, 2007 - 4:07pm / Post ID: #

Adhd And Children Who Are Gifted

I would suggest you to have both of them tested, not only Cas because of the following:

Another way to determine if there is a genetic basis for a disorder is by studying large groups of identical and non-identical twins. Identical twins have the exact same genetic information while non-identical twins do not.

Therefore, if a disorder is transmitted genetically, both identical twins should be affected in the same way and the concordance rate-the probability of them both being affected-should be higher than that found in non-identical twins.

There have been several major twin studies in the past few years that provide strong evidence that ADHD is highly heritable. They have had remarkably consistent results in spite of the fact that they were done by different researchers in different parts of the world. In one such study, Dr. Florence Levy and her colleagues studied 1,938 families with twins and siblings in Australia. They found that ADHD has an exceptionally high heritability as compared to other behavioral disorders. They reported an 82 percent concordance rate for ADHD in identical twins as compared to a 38 percent concordance rate for ADHD in non-identical twins.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Feb, 2007 - 12:24am / Post ID: #

Adhd Children Who Gifted - Page 2

Thanks I might just do that. We already saw my son's teacher that is why Anna's statement caught my attention.
Paintingblue

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Adhd And Children Who Are Gifted

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,