Every Elder Should Be A Profound Theologian.

Every Elder Profound Theologian - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Nov, 2006 - 9:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 7th Sep, 2006 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

"There are a great many branches of education: some go to college to learn languages, some to study law, some to study physics, and some to study astronomy, and various other branches of science. We want every branch of science taught in this place that is taught in the world. But our favorite study is that branch which particularly belongs to the Elders of Israel-namely, theology. Every Elder should become a profound theologian-should understand this branch better than all the world." Journal of Discourses 6:317.

Elders, How do you rate has a theologian, Do you understand God and his kingdom and gospel? Can you hold a theological discussion with those of other faiths and not feel frustrated?

Sisters, do you know such Elders if so What impresses you most about these Elders?

I'm not leaving Sisters out of being a theologian, so Are you a theologian?

Message Edited!
Persephone: Learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constuctive Posting Policy.

Sponsored Links:
7th Sep, 2006 - 4:43pm / Post ID: #

Theologian Profound Be Elder Every

I have held my own quite well in discussions with people of other faiths. However, I consider myself only a rank amateur as a theologian.

13th Sep, 2006 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #

Every Elder Should Be A Profound Theologian. Studies Doctrine Mormon

Sisters, do you know such Elders if so What impresses you most about these Elders?

I know only one in my life and the rest are here from the Forum. I live in a very tiny island and the Church is very small. Most members only know the basic concepts. What impresses me about these Elders is not so much their knowledge but their zeal to want to learn more and be excited about something they just learnt.

Post Date: 13th Oct, 2006 - 8:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

It is certain that every elder should be a theologian. That is, he should be able to understand his religion, its foundation, its expressions, and its eternal verities, and explain them, from scriptural sources and from the writings of the prophets.

Bruce R McConkie said:

[E]ven in the true Church there are few sound scriptorians and theologians who have a comprehensive knowledge of revealed truth. So far this dispensation has not been noted for the diffusion of real gospel scholarship among the elders and saints generally. There are few modern experts on the gospel. Few have paid the price of intense study, of determined self-discipline, and of righteous living necessary to gain a broad knowledge of the truths of salvation. Nearly all members of the Church need to study the revealed word far more than they now do. Even a brief daily study period works miracles in adding to one's knowledge of the doctrines of the gospel.  (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, Vol.1, p.59)

Brigham Young said:

One of the weakest of our Elders, I mean one of our boys, who is conversant with the Bible, is well qualified to instruct the learned priest, confound in Bible doctrine the greatest theologians upon the earth, and throw into confusion, and interrupt, and fill with contradictions and inconsistencies, their choicest theories. (JD Vol.1, p 190)

George Q Cannon said:

The learned, the educated, the professed theologians when they have met the elders of this Church with the Bible in their hands, have been compelled to retreat before the power of truth proclaimed by uneducated but inspired men.  (JD vol 20, p. 197)

Rudger Clawson said:

Our missionaries are not trained theologians, they have no diplomas from theological seminaries; but they are picked up just as we find them. They are taken from the workshop, the store, the farm, the schoolroom, the office, from the various avocations of life, wherever the Lord selects them, and they are sent abroad to preach the Gospel. But many of them, perhaps the majority, are practical men. They are not mentally floating around in the clouds, away "beyond the bounds of time and space." they are in the world, dealing with worldly things, as well as with spiritual things. (CR Apr 1906)

We do well to remember that in the early days of the Church, elders were generally men of some experience in the ministries of whatever denominations they were in before they embraced the Restored Gospel, and that when the early brethren refer to their level of understanding the Bible, it is with this experience in mind.

That does not absolve the priesthood from becoming more acquainted with the holy scruiptures than they generally are, but it does show the need for us to return to the basics of Gospel learning which is an intimate familiarity with, and an understanding of the Bible and other scriptural books.

However, the Church curriculum department must shoulder some responsibility for the move away from the scriptures towards more behaviour orientated materials in Priesthood manuals. Whilst individual priesthood bearers are still responsible for their own scriptural study, the majority of assigned topics for sacrament services that I have heard in the past several years have not lent themselves to scripture study, nor do they in the main require any understanding of gospel doctrine, but are mostly behaviour modifying subjects.

The first issue of the Times and Seasons contained a lead editorial to the Elders: "Be careful that you teach not for the word of God, the commandments of men, nor the doctrines of men, nor the ordinances of men [...] study the word of God, and preach it and not your own opinions, for no man's opinion is worth a straw."

That is still our charge. As Peter said,

[S]anctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:  Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.  (1 Peter 3:15-16)

Captain Moroni

Message Edited!
Persephone: Learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constuctive Posting Policy.

Post Date: 22nd Nov, 2006 - 9:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

One thing that I forgot was a Theologian should be able to discuss other aspects of science, as pointed out in "Key to the Science of Theology", that all the sciences belong in the catagory of Theology since all true knowledge comes from God.

> TOPIC: Every Elder Should Be A Profound Theologian.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,