Authority

Authority - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 24th Oct, 2007 - 5:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

26th Apr, 2007 - 1:36am / Post ID: #

Authority

Authority

My son has difficulty understanding Authority, in other words he thinks that just as we give him instructions he can also give us instructions. What do you do to help a child understand this concept when this same child has ADHD / PDD?

Sponsored Links:
26th Apr, 2007 - 2:02am / Post ID: #

Authority

Well, in our son's case is harder because his reasoning is very limited. He also seem to have some ODD characteristics (Oppositional Defiance Disorder). The difference between him and other kids is that the other children KNOW who is in authority and why they are in authority (even if they choose NOT to comply with their directions). In our son's case, he does not have a concept of what is authority, who is in authority and why. On his mind, everybody is the same making the whole thing very hard to deal with.

26th Apr, 2007 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

Authority Health & Special Psychology

My Son's pretty much the same too. Whilst other children are upset when they have been defiant or have got in trouble for not following instructions, my Son is totally oblivious to the fact that somebody has passed on an order or instruction to him, and will only follow the instruction if it appeals to him.
The only thing that I feel that I can do, is repeatedly try to re-enforce instructions, and hope that one day he will realize the difference, and praise him well when he has followed the instruction.
It is really frustrating though, especially as he has no fear concept either, and doesn't differentiate between what's classed as a danger, and what's not.

22nd Oct, 2007 - 1:46pm / Post ID: #

Authority

DianeC your situation seems very similar to ours. Of recent I try to use such enforcing words as "love", "family" and so forth so he know he is doing it because he is part of a 'team' that cares about him and him about us. At times it works, sometimes it does not.

22nd Oct, 2007 - 8:15pm / Post ID: #

Authority

I find that you've just got to keep at it in a fair and calm manner and hope one day that some of it will be 'taken onboard'.
At the end of the day, if you don't keep instilling it in them, they'll never learn to accept authority, or know right from wrong, but it's mighty tough sometimes and I can fully sympathize with you.

22nd Oct, 2007 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

Authority

Tell me about it. Sometimes I feel I am competing with another adult in the house and he is only seven years old. There are days where I have to totally ignore the rants and let LDS_forever talk to him otherwise if you take on what he is saying you can get really angry.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Oct, 2007 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

Authority

They certainly know which buttons to press on you as well, and how to wind you up!
That's the best course of action to step out of the situation and let someone else deal with it for a bit, or you just end up 'frazzled'.
It's funny how kids of that age can master taking over the situation, and taking control, it seems to be pretty evident in many 'special' children, where perhaps it's more subtle in other children.

24th Oct, 2007 - 5:49pm / Post ID: #

Authority Psychology Special & Health

In the case of our son I believe the problem is that he does not have anyone else to 'pick on'. We wish we could facilitate him having more social interaction with children who understand and appreciate him, but it is not so because of the general 'thinking' here. Therefore we are the next best friends he has to pick on.

> TOPIC: Authority

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,