Primary Presidency

Primary Presidency - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Oct, 2006 - 10:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

A male as part of it...
18th Sep, 2006 - 6:45pm / Post ID: #

Primary Presidency

Primary Presidency

What is your view, do you think it is okay to call a male to the Primary Presidency?

Sponsored Links:
18th Sep, 2006 - 7:13pm / Post ID: #

Presidency Primary

I do not think the General Handbook of Instructions mentions anything about this, so I suppose a Bishop can indeed call a male in a Primary Presidency. A long time ago, I would tell you that I do not see a problem with that but nowdays, I would tell you: No *thankyouverymuch*.

18th Sep, 2006 - 11:12pm / Post ID: #

Primary Presidency Studies Doctrine Mormon

Now, see, that is discrimination, based upon a VERY few examples.

When I was working in the primary, as a temporary teacher, I had a very good rapport with the children. The Primary President asked to have me called as one of her counselors. Our Bishop told her that since women have so few opportunities for leadership positions, that it was strongly discouraged to have men receive those callings.

Now, it didn't hurt my feelings at all. But it did make me think about things. If the Primary President prayed about who she should call, and felt that it was right to call a man to that position, I don't think it is right for the Bishop to just dismiss it, at least not without a real reason, or a lot of prayer.

19th Sep, 2006 - 12:11am / Post ID: #

Presidency Primary

Nighthawk, believe me there are NOT few examples where I live. Right now, one of the reasons JB has to stay with Felipe in Primary during Sunday School is because of the same reason.

Now concerning your experience, I supposed the Bishop saw it as a "waste" to call you in such calling where probably he may need you in other position but again I agreed that if the President prayed and your name came up then it should not be a problem.

19th Sep, 2006 - 2:58am / Post ID: #

Presidency Primary

I have mixed feelings about this. Generally, I really appreciate male teachers in Primary, particularly in classes where most of the kids are boys and kind of unruly. They respond better to men, and behave better for them. On the other hand, there are some problems occasionally with impropriety, and our leadership quite often can be blind to it. So, to prevent *all* instances of impropriety, the answer is to refuse *all* men entrance to Primary leadership? I think it's very sad, but it's unfortunately a sign of the times.

In my opinion.
Roz

Post Date: 27th Oct, 2006 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

Primary Presidency
A Friend

Primary Presidency

I don't know how recently this is, but there is a rule now that any male primary teachers must be accompanied by another male teacher, meaning that a single male teacher cannot be alone in the classroom with the kids. A second teacher must be called or an "assistant" teacher. I know because I was called to this a few months ago. Right after getting out of YM and right before being ordained an elder, I was called to this position. This probably is in place not because the general presidency doesn't trust most adult males with the children, but because that way possible lawsuits against the church can be prevented. So maybe it's best for men not to hold primary leadership positions, because that way parents wont have any worry or concern for their kids.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Oct, 2006 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

Primary Presidency

Males are often not chosen in these kinds of callings because of the need to have the Priesthood elsewhere to fill callings that can only be done by someone with the Priesthood. When there is a surplus of Priesthood then usually the Bishop / Branch President will accept calling a Priesthood holder being called to a position in Primary, but I have still never heard of them being a Counselor even President unless there was a need. I think that is the key: need.

The Church on numerous ocassions has hinted that the Sisters need to see about Primary at the leadership level. You will note that the General Primary Presidency are all composed of Sisters wink.gif. Personally I feel the Sisters, especially the right Sisters can handle the children way better than the Brethren ever could.

> TOPIC: Primary Presidency

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,