Mormon Urban Legends - Page 2 of 2

QUOTE I thought that was true about recent - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Oct, 2006 - 4:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Spread like wild fire, but not true? Heard one lately?
14th Oct, 2006 - 12:29am / Post ID: #

Mormon Urban Legends - Page 2

QUOTE (gaucho @ 13-Oct 06, 7:00 PM)
The little girl said her older sister appeared to her and told her the direction to walk to find help. She stayed with her the entire time until she was found by the man in the car.

So did the little girl not have an older sister at the time?

LDS_Forever:
One of the oldest Urban Legends or Myths that I heard is that the reason for practicing Plural Marriage was to provide husbands and fathers for widows and children.

I have not heard that that was necessarily the reason, but it has been my understanding that it could be a benefit. The reason given was to give righteous men opportunity to raise as much righteous children as possible, correct? So if an LDS man was commanded to marry a widow with children, not only could he be a part of raising the older children well but also allow for the widow to have more children born in the covenant.

Sponsored Links:
14th Oct, 2006 - 3:08am / Post ID: #

Legends Urban Mormon

The point of the rumour, which I have had several active members tell me, is that it was the ONLY, or the MAIN reason for plural marriage - to provide husbands and fathers.

You are right, it is a very good effect of the principle, but there is overwhelming evidence that it is only that - an effect, not the purpose.

But this discussion should go on elsewhere.

Post Date: 14th Oct, 2006 - 12:14pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Urban Legends Studies Doctrine Mormon

Discussion about Plural Marriage can be read in the Mature LDS Board.

Post Date: 14th Oct, 2006 - 6:06pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Urban Legends
A Friend

Page 2 Legends Urban Mormon

QUOTE (gaucho @ 13-Oct 06 @ 7:00 PM)

The little girl said her older sister appeared to her and told her the direction to walk to find help. She stayed with her the entire time until she was found by the man in the car.

QUOTE (Dimavo)

So did the little girl not have an older sister at the time?

Yes she did. The girl that appeared to her and helped her out she initially described as her older sister, which was the only sister she had at the time. Her parents later gave birth to another daughter and when this daughter reached the age her older sister was at the time of the abduction, she recognized that it was her yet unborn sibbling that appeared to her.

Message Edited!
Corrected "quote" tags.

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 14th Oct, 2006 - 6:12pm

Post Date: 27th Oct, 2006 - 3:49pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Urban Legends
A Friend

Legends Urban Mormon

When my mom was a recent convert, she would get questions from people whether or not she had horns, and they were serious. I don't know if any rumor is stranger than that. cool.gif

Also I have heard about investigators who turn away from the church because of some anti-material someone gave them. When they are asked where the material is from, they claim that it is from D&C 139 or higher...

QUOTE (JB @ 20-Sep 06, 8:58 AM)
What about the one that you must wait a year after baptism before you can enter the Temple.

I thought that was true about recent converts. Can someone clarify that?

Reconcile Edited: DanInTheDen on 27th Oct, 2006 - 3:59pm

27th Oct, 2006 - 4:49pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Urban Legends

I thought that was true about recent converts. Can someone clarify that?

Sure. A recent convert does not have to wait a year to enter the Temple, they can go right away after baptism to do baptism for the dead. What they cannot do until after a year are the other ordinances we do in the Temple.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Mormon Urban Legends

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,