Your Favorite Philosopher

Your Favorite Philosopher - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 22nd Sep, 2006 - 5:28am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 22nd Sep, 2006 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

Who is Your Favorite Philosopher (both Ancient and Modern)?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 22nd Sep, 2006 - 5:28am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Philosopher Favorite Your

Modern philosophers such as Daniel Dennet and Colin McGinn have really caught my interest in there works on why people need god and religion. I think they have captured a bit of psychology in their writings as well. They have degrees in philosophy and psychology which makes for a very interesting point of view on people and humanity that is both scientific in some ways and completely philosophical in others.

Ancient philosophers that I have always been intrigued with are Philo of Alexandria who was a Jewish philosopher that was both devoutly Jewish and leaned towards the neo-platonic school of thought. He strove desperately to reach common ground between Judaism and Greek enlightenment.

Someone that is often forgotten when talking about philosophers is Marcus Aurelius, the great ruler of Rome. He wrote ten books called "The Meditations" which are still read today and considered a great body of work. I have read all of his books, and have them all in e-book form.

But the philosopher that I love the most is one the lived during the enlightenment and helped shape the United States of America. In fact, much of what he wrote about ended up in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States. He was a profound writer who was passionate about liberty and free thought. He was a deist whose ideas and opinions about deism would be twisted to make people believe that this country was founded upon christian values, but they were actually founded mostly on his ideals and insights. He was a personal friend of Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Benjamin Franklin. His influence on all three can be seen in their writings. His writings grouped together called "Common Sense" helped start the American Revolution. He is most known for his book "The Age of Reason". His name is Thomas Paine.

> TOPIC: Your Favorite Philosopher

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,