Why Does The Aaronic Priesthood Administer

Why Aaronic Priesthood Administer - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Nov, 2006 - 5:43am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

The Sacrament
Why Does The Aaronic Priesthood Administer Related Information to Why Does The Aaronic Priesthood Administer
Post Date: 13th May, 2004 - 5:09am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I found the following essay from another web site and thought it might make interesting discussion here:

In the majority of LDS Wards and Branches, the sacrament is routinely administered by the young men of the Aaronic Priesthood, comprising the offices of priest, teacher, and deacon. To rank-and-file LDS, seeing these young men administering the sacrament is neither unusual nor alarming. Most never notice the words of the Lord in the D&C regarding this ordinance and are comfortable in their delusions that everything is being done in pure form.

However, careful reading of the D&C makes it clear that administration of the sacrament is the responsibility of the Melchizedek Priesthood (elder) and priests (Aaronic Priesthood) are only to do so when "THERE IS NO ELDER PRESENT".

D&C section 20 contains revelation given at the time the latter-day church was organized on April 6, 1830, and contains many passages regarding the duties of various offices of the priesthood. Verse 46 states that it is "The priest's duty is to preach, teach, expound, exhort, and baptize, and administer the sacrament," Thus, priests do indeed have authority to administer this sacred ordinance. However, verse 50 states "But WHEN THERE IS AN ELDER PRESENT, he (the priest) is ONLY TO PREACH, TEACH, EXPOUND, EXHORT, AND BAPTIZE," This idea is also seen in verses 38 through 40: "An apostle is an elder, and it is HIS (apostle or elder) CALLING to baptize;"¦ And to ADMINISTER BREAD AND WINE--the emblems of the flesh and blood of Christ".

Interestingly, the priests are usually assisted by the deacons and teachers in administering the sacrament. "BUT NEITHER TEACHERS NOR DEACONS HAVE AUTHORITY TO baptize, ADMINISTER THE SACRAMENT, or lay on hands;" (D&C 20:58)

Thus, the question is then asked that if it is the duty of the Elders to administer the sacrament, then why is it being done so often in LDS Wards and Branches by the Aaronic Priesthood? That is, why do priests administer the sacrament when there is an elder present? What is the Lord trying to tell us through this apparent anomaly?

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: This message is missing a ref. link, original author, and verification of source (so users know if it is from a positive or negative site). Please see the READ ME thread with regards to copying and referencing to external web sites. When copying from other sites without this included it is called plagiarism.

Sponsored Links:
13th May, 2004 - 10:03am / Post ID: #

Administer Priesthood Aaronic The Why

Interestingly, the priests are usually assisted by the deacons and teachers in administering the sacrament.

I believe this statement isn't exactly true. They don't assist in administering the sacrament, they pass it. I believe administering it, is the preparation of it and the blessing of it.

As to the rest of it, I will be interested in what other priesthood holders say since as a woman, I really don't get a lot of instruction regarding this topic.

Post Date: 13th May, 2004 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Why Does The Aaronic Priesthood Administer Studies Doctrine Mormon

For clarification, I did not include the link to the web site because there is some information on that site that could be considered controversial at best. In my opinion, there is some good thought provoking info mixed in with false doctrine, so I figured I'd just bring up the subject at hand.

The author of the article believes there is symbolism in the sacrament that we are supposed to learn from. For instance, why are we given just a morsel of bread and a thimble of water, when in Book of Mormon times they talk of the Lord's supper and of being filled? See 3 Nephi 18:3-5. Of course, being filled is symbolic of being filled spiritually. But, all ordinances have outer and inner meanings. There is supposed to be a physical (outer) representation (being filled) that is symbolic of the spiritual (inner) filling of the hunger in a persons soul. Very few of us do what is necessary to be filled spiritually, so we shouldn't expect to be filled physically.

As to why Priests bless the sacrament rather than Elders, according to D&C 121 (31-46), the priesthood may be conferred upon men, but is easily lost due to pride, vain seeking, and unrighteous dominion. Perhaps there are many who think that they hold the Melchizedek Priesthood, but really do not because of having violated the conditions stated in D&C 121.

The above paragraph is a little hard for me to swallow because I know there are many righeous Melchizedek Priesthood holders in the church today.

6th Nov, 2006 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

I remember asking around about this and everyone put a quizzical face about it, however in looking it over we have to keep in mind the following:

1. Vs. 45 states that it is the Elder that conducts and leads the meeting, thus they are over the Priests and can instruct them

2. Vs. 52 specifically states and even reinforces vs. 45 by saying that the Priest is to assist the Elder

Thus, we can sum up that it is the 'will' of the Elders that the Priest see to the Sacrament so that they (the Elders) can see to other parts of the meeting.

Post Date: 28th Nov, 2006 - 5:43am / Post ID: #

A Friend

In verse 46, it shows that Priests have the authority to administer the sacrament, at least under the conditions that there is no Elder present, as well as taking lead of the meetings. So what is wrong for an Elder who is leading the meeting to ask a Priest to administer the sacrament, if he is to lead it by the Spirit, as indicated in verse 45?
Teachers and Deacons do NOT baptize. I agree. I have not seen that being done.
As far as the Laying on of Hands goes in v.58, I believe this is referring to giving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, which is mentioned in earlier verses. I believe this because it does say that a Priest can ordain other Priests, Teachers and Deacons, which involves the act of the Laying on of Hands (v.48). If you want a specific quote saying that Teachers and Deacons can ordain others to (at most) the office that they already have, then I cannot think of one. But I can say that I believe in continuous revelation in the Church, and that specific doctrines like that can be given to its Authorities.
I also do not see a contradiction in verse 58. Just as the Laying on of Hands in this verse refers to giving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, then administering the Sacrament must mean administering in the Blessing of the Sacrament. It does not say that Teacher and Deacons cannot pass it to the members. Again, if you want a specific scripture quoting that, I cannot think of one. And once again, I do believe that specific doctrines like that can be revealed to the Authorities of the Church.

Reconcile Edited: Wordswriter on 28th Nov, 2006 - 5:45am

> TOPIC: Why Does The Aaronic Priesthood Administer

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,