Our Strengths Can Become Our Downfall?

Our Strengths Downfall - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Jul, 2012 - 11:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Elder Oaks on 'Gospel hobbies'
13th Feb, 2006 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

I was recently reading this talk by Elder Oaks and I would like you to share your thoughts about those points you wish to comment about based on what he said. He goes through this talk by using the following points:

Gospel Hobbies
Misapplication of Spiritual Gifts
A Desire to Know All
A Desire to Be Led in All Things
Honors That Sometimes Turn to Our Detriment
A Desire to Sacrifice More Than Is Needful
Social Consciousness Not Tempered by Other Values
An Intense Focus on Goals
Popular Teachers and the Potential of Priestcraft
Neglect or Distortion of Family Duties
Excesses in Giving
Accomplishment and Pride
Distorted Faith
Inordinate Church Service
All-Consuming Patriotism
Materialistic Self-Reliance
Not Really Following the Prophet
Misapplication of Love and Tolerance

About Gospel hobbies he said the following

international QUOTE
"Elder Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve has likened the fulness of the gospel to a piano keyboard. He has told us that a person could be "attracted by a single key," such as a doctrine he or she wants to hear "played over and over again. "¦ Some members of the Church who should know better pick out a hobby key or two and tap them incessantly, to the irritation of those around them. They can dull their own spiritual sensitivities. They lose track that there is a fulness of the gospel "¦ [which they reject] in preference to a favorite note. This becomes exaggerated and distorted, leading them away into apostasy"

(Ensign, December 1971, pages 41-42).

Regards to the point of a Desire to know all, he said "Another strength Satan can exploit is a strong desire to understand everything about every principle of the gospel. How could that possibly work to our detriment? Experience teaches that if this desire is not disciplined, it can cause some to pursue their searchings beyond the fringes of orthodoxy, seeking answers to obscure mysteries rather than seeking a firmer understanding and a better practice of the basic principles of the gospel".

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE TALK before stating your points and thoughts. Thanks!

More Info

Sponsored Links:
20th Feb, 2006 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

Downfall Our Can Strengths Our

I love this talk, and have read it many times. I have definitely seen the issue of "Gospel Hobbies" in many areas where I have served and lived. There are some people who give essentially the same talk or lesson, no matter what the assigned topic is. This not only makes the listener bored quickly - it is detrimental to the speaker/teacher. I know that when I have relied on my current base of knowledge instead of researching new areas for a lesson or talk, I do not grow. It may not be a big deal for one week or one month, but over the years, a spiritual rut is very hard to escape, and can lead to extremism on that one point of doctrine that is the "favorite."

18th Sep, 2009 - 12:52am / Post ID: #

Our Strengths Can Become Our Downfall? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I was re-reading this talk today and I would like to discuss some points:

A Desire to Know All

Another strength Satan can exploit is a strong desire to understand everything about every principle of the gospel. How could that possibly work to our detriment? Experience teaches that if this desire is not disciplined, it can cause some to pursue their searching beyond the fringes of orthodoxy, seeking answers to obscure mysteries rather than seeking a firmer understanding and a better practice of the basic principles of the gospel.

Some seek answers to questions God has not chosen to answer. Others receive answers-or think they receive answers-in ways that are contrary to the order of the Church. For such searchers, Satan stands ready to mislead through sophistry or spurious revelation. Persons who hunger after a full understanding of all things must discipline their questions and their methods, or they can approach apostasy without even knowing it. It may be just as dangerous to exceed orthodoxy as it is to fall short of it. The safety and happiness we are promised lie in keeping the commandments, not in discounting or multiplying them.

Who decides what is a "strong desire"? And what kind of "methods" he is referring to that can approach apostasy? What do you all think? The description to me is very vague and open to interpretation and opinion.

A Desire to Be Led in All Things

Closely related to this example is the person who has a strong desire to be led by the Spirit of the Lord but who unwisely extends that desire to the point of wanting to be led in all things. A desire to be led by the Lord is a strength, but it needs to be accompanied by an understanding that our Heavenly Father leaves many decisions for our personal choices. Personal decision making is one of the sources of the growth we are meant to experience in mortality. Persons who try to shift all decision making to the Lord and plead for revelation in every choice will soon find circumstances in which they pray for guidance and don't receive it. For example, this is likely to occur in those numerous circumstances in which the choices are trivial or either choice is acceptable.

We should study things out in our minds, using the reasoning powers our Creator has placed within us. Then we should pray for guidance and act upon it if we receive it. If we do not receive guidance, we should act upon our best judgment. Persons who persist in seeking revelatory guidance on subjects on which the Lord has not chosen to direct us may concoct an answer out of their own fantasy or bias, or they may even receive an answer through the medium of false revelation. Revelation from God is a sacred reality, but like other sacred things, it must be cherished and used properly so that a great strength does not become a disabling weakness.

This is walking a very fine line. I want to believe each one of us seek the Spirit to guide us in all things and not our own understanding.

Thoughts?

18th Sep, 2009 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

Without going into loads of details, as far as I remember the scriptures and most especially the Book of Mormon actually admonishes us to seek after the Spirit to know the truth of ALL things. Additionally we are encouraged to seek after the Mysteries of God. One cannot seek after something that is a mystery and be casual about it.

Lastly, what the Church refers to as "Basic Doctrines" I believe has to do with just giving golden answers and repetitive statements. For me the basics is when you actually do what is said... You know, visit the sick, those in prison, be all about service, this is the Basics - something I rarely seen DONE in a big way or emphasized in Church. I am no example of this, this is where I need to be - this is my goal.

6th Jul, 2012 - 11:58pm / Post ID: #

The underlying message is simply going overboard with one aspect and forgetting everything else. Sure we can study the scriptures but do we need to do so in depth that we aren't able to perform what the scriptures teach?

> TOPIC: Our Strengths Can Become Our Downfall?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,