How Is Mary Regarded By Mormons

How Mary Regarded Mormons - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Mar, 2009 - 5:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

17th Jan, 2009 - 12:32pm / Post ID: #

Just wondering how the Mormon church sees Mary in the larger scheme of things. Is she worshipped or revered as happens with the Catholics?

Reconcile Edited: revival on 17th Jan, 2009 - 12:33pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 16th Mar, 2009 - 5:51am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons Regarded Mary How

Hello and good question. The short answer is that we do not worship Mary in any sense. We honor and revere her as a woman of high virtue and spiritual integrity. Her calling was one-of-a-kind. No other woman would be privileged to mother God's only Son in the flesh.

But she was and is, in all other respects, just as you and I-subject to temptation and personal failure. Her salvation hinges on the same things as yours and mine. Her high station as the mother of the Savior gives her no special authority or advocative powers.

We believe that such a claim is contrary to the doctrine that Christ taught-that he alone was our advocate with Heavenly Father. And we need no advocate with Christ, no intermediary to fight our cause with the Savior. That is precisely what Christ became through his atonement. His sacrifice in Gethsemane and on Golgotha secured for him exclusive right to intercede for us individually. To even entertain the idea that we cannot seek redemption through the merits of Christ alone, or that in some way the voice of another mortal of any standing could make Christ's atonement more operative for us in regards to our ultimate salvation-such a stance would imply that Christ requires additional coaxing to avocate our cause before the Father. We believe that we must each work out our own salvation with the Father, in the name of the Son. No one else factors in.

God is our Father; Christ is our Savior; Mary is our spirit-sister, quietly esteemed and revered, but nothing more.

Sorry if that was more than you needed... I get long winded (it's my nature).

> TOPIC: How Is Mary Regarded By Mormons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,