Taiwan Politics - Page 2 of 4

Student, you cannot easily answer that question. - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 9th Mar, 2010 - 12:17am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
This Thread is about internal politics and not Taiwan versus China which is covered in another Thread.
14th Dec, 2008 - 3:32am / Post ID: #

Taiwan Politics - Page 2

The hungerstrike was for what he was calling the injustice of the investigation and alligations, but it did go 16 days.

Going that long on a hungerstrike and I can pretty well say that this guy is potentially suicidal. He goes through court and gets convicted. He watches his wife and other family members dragged through court and convicted. He is to spend his life in jail and his wheelchair bound wife ends up in jail for a longtime along with the son-in-law and daughter as well... Yeah, that 16 days will go longer next time...he has nothing to live for. His name has been dragged through the mud and while he still has some backing among his party...they have basically disowned him.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Sponsored Links:
14th Dec, 2008 - 3:38am / Post ID: #

Politics Taiwan

In other words it is for shame. If they have substantial proof then I can understand his frame of mind at this time. As they say... "What goes around comes around".

Rather off topic, but...
Notice how many world leaders are being held accountable for their terms in office? I think it is very good, people are no longer accepting bologna in governance.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3228 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

14th Dec, 2008 - 4:25am / Post ID: #

Taiwan Politics History & Civil Business Politics

It is a pretty air-tight case now that his former employees are rolling over and spilling everything to the prosecutors. The only thing that can save him and his family is the Court itself being generous or President Ma pardoning him in some way.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Post Date: 11th Sep, 2009 - 11:04am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 2 Politics Taiwan

Taiwan ex-leader jailed for life

Taiwan's former President Chen Shui-bian is sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty on corruption charges. Ref. Source 3

11th Sep, 2009 - 11:05am / Post ID: #

Politics Taiwan

Life in prison for corruption is a tough sentence. I guess this will serve as a message that nobody is above the law and current politicians will be certain to account for their every move.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3228 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

12th Sep, 2009 - 3:02am / Post ID: #

Taiwan Politics

President Ma better be paying particular attention to this sentence. The reason I say it is because Taiwan government has a fairly good deal of graft and corruption inherent in the processes now. It isnt nearly as bad as say China, but it is present. I dare say that any president that ends his term with a switch in controlling parties is going to be scrutinized heavily!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Mar, 2010 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Taiwan Politics - Page 2

Name: Student

Comments: I'm wondering if you all can help me. What is the percentage of people that are for a reunification of Taiwan with China? Are the Taiwanese people generally happy with their current government?

9th Mar, 2010 - 12:17am / Post ID: #

Taiwan Politics Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Student, you cannot easily answer that question. There are two major parties in Taiwan: DPP and KMT. The DPP is the democratic progressive party and they are not in favor of reunification. In the last presidential election, the DPP was removed from the office in favor of the KMT candidate. The KMT is Chiang Kai Shek's old party. They are quite a bit more difficult to read. There are some within that party that are totally for reunification. Others within the party are for increased ties and trade with China, but not exactly reunification. However, they would not stop reunification talks if there is some benefit to Taiwan. A large chunk of the population of Taiwan is composed of former mainland Chinese that came over with Shek's invasion of the island.

Polls of the Taiwanese people repeatedly show that they want the status quo to remain in effect. That means that they want to be recognized as sovereign entity with its own government and military. They will not argue with China calling it a part of China, but that is about as far as the mainland influence should go. China has adjusted their requirements recently and are considering offering Taiwan the same status as Hong Kong and Macau: One Country, Two Systems Policy. This is where Taiwan's president or elector would sit 2nd in the mainland organization and the territory is officially part of China (tribute paid) and alligence is to China. However, they are allowed to keep their own government and military. Basically, this allows the newly re-claimed territories to continue to function as normal (Hong Kong and Macau) so that they remain profitable.

The polls claim (debated on validity) that there is only about a 3-5% support for total reunification. The number increases a little to about 7-9% if the question is accepting the "one country, two systems" quesion. There is a 65-75% favorable to keeping the status quo in the country: own government, military, don't argue about China calling Taiwan part of it and don't claim independence.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Taiwan Politics

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,