Sealed As A Family - Page 2 of 3

Actually, I have found a lot of people locally - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Mar, 2008 - 9:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 

The importance of Temple Sealings
Post Date: 9th Jun, 2007 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Sealed As A Family
A Friend

Sealed As A Family - Page 2

Yes, finding the original quote would definitely help. The topic of eternal family is something that is very much a tender spot for me. My parents were sealed in the temple and after more than 20 years of marriage divorced. My mom rejected the gospel and has been excommunicated. I also recently broke up with a long time boyfriend and best friend who had been raised in the church and has a great knowledge of the gospel, but decided he just didn't believe the church was true and instead embraced philosphies of men and certain aspects of different Eastern religions, much like my mom.

I often wonder, because I have experienced great loss with people close to me rejecting the gospel, how happy I will be in the celestial kingdom, if those that I have loved so dearly in this life will not be there with me and will never have the opportunity to progress. For me those people in the terrestrial and telestial kingdom are not the "bad guys", they are people that I love very much, people dear and close to my heart. It also seems to me as I reflect on the words "Families can be together forever" that the key word there is CAN. It's possible, but I wonder how likely it is, when we are taught that in the last days, even the elect will be decieved and that few will be exalted in the celestial kingdom.

D&C 132: 22,25
"For strait is the gate, and narrow is the way that leadeth unto exaltation and continuation of the lives, and few there be that find it, because ye receive me not in the world neither do ye know me.

"Broad is the gate, and wide the way that leadeth to the deaths; and many there be that go in thereat, because they receive me not, neither do they abide in my law."

Like you, Farseer, and I'm sure anyone that has loved someone that has gone astray, it would bring me great comfort to know that there is hope for those that are not valiant in this life, to eventually have the opportunity to progress in the next. And actually it makes sense in my mind of what I know of my loving Heavenly Father. Why would he not want his children to have the opportunity to progress if they eventually accept the His commandments and his way and either repent or suffer and pay for their sins, like the prodigal son? Why would he not welcome them back with open arms to His home once more? But, as you pointed out, the scriptures are not in agreement with that quote.

Sponsored Links:
9th Jun, 2007 - 9:05pm / Post ID: #

Family As Sealed

Actually, I think we will be very surprised at who "makes it" and who does not. I believe it was LDS_Forever (chief mod here) who once said that in another thread, and I really believe that our Heavenly Father has more capacity to LOVE than we can ever hope to comprehend. Even with our access to scripture, we still don't have all of the gospel; there are sealed portions to which we have not been granted access (yet).

My son was born in the covenant but was never baptized. Do I worry about that? Yes. He's 24 now, and not interested in the church at all. My daughter (who is 9) is from a different father, but because the sealing between my first husband and I has never been canceled, I believe she is sealed to me through it. But I don't have official word on that, and if she's not sealed to me, she *can't* be unless I remarry and we are sealed to that person. But, then my son's sealing to me is canceled in the process.

I have to have hope. I have to be faithful. I have to have faith. I have to trust that everything will work out somehow, that I've fully repented and cleansed my life. Otherwise, the Celestial Kingdom may be out of my family's reach entirely.

Post Date: 12th Oct, 2007 - 2:07am / Post ID: #

Sealed As A Family Studies Doctrine Mormon

"The crowning temple ordinance is available only to a man and a woman when they are sealed together, forming an eternal family unit. It is by virtue of this and all other priesthood ordinances that the families of the earth shall be blessed (see Abraham 2:11). This sealing ordinance is so central to the Lord's purposes that He has promised to the faithful who are not sealed in this life through no fault of their own this blessing in the life to come. No other doctrine in all of religion better confirms God's commensurate love for both His sons and His daughters."
Ref. (Craig A. Cardon, "Moving Closer to Him," Ensign, Nov. 2006, 94-95)

2nd Nov, 2007 - 9:50pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Family As Sealed

This to me is the crowning glory of any family. If you can see your own immediate family sealed and then see your children grow up and be sealed to their spouses then you know you have really brought the wheat into the garners.

Post Date: 15th Feb, 2008 - 6:21am / Post ID: #

Family As Sealed

"The family and the Church have a mutually reinforcing relationship. The family is dependent upon the Church for doctrine, ordinances, and priesthood keys. The Church provides the teachings, authority, and ordinances necessary to perpetuate family relationships to the eternities."
Ref. (Dallin H. Oaks, "Priesthood Authority in the Family and the Church," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 25)

Post Date: 6th Mar, 2008 - 5:23pm / Post ID: #

Sealed As A Family

"Marriage is the foundry for social order, the fountain of virtue, and the foundation for eternal exaltation. Marriage has been divinely designated as an eternal and everlasting covenant (see D&C 132:19). Marriage is sanctified when it is cherished and honored in holiness. That union is not merely between husband and wife; it embraces a partnership with God (see Matthew 19:6). 'Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other' ("The Family: A Proclamation to the World," paragraph 6). Children born of that marital union are 'an heritage of the Lord' (Psalm 127:3). Marriage is but the beginning bud of family life; parenthood is its flower. And that bouquet becomes even more beautiful when graced with grandchildren. Families may become as eternal as the kingdom of God itself (see D&C 132:19-20)."
(Russell M. Nelson, "Nurturing Marriage," Ensign, May 2006, 36-37)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Mar, 2008 - 9:16pm / Post ID: #

Sealed As Family - Page 2

Name: Wayned

Comments: You know its funny that people don't see the value of the family and the eternal affects of them, for families are the true treasure on this earth, and when we treat each other as we should then that line can go on forever. Not even death can break up the family.

6th Mar, 2008 - 9:35pm / Post ID: #

Sealed As Family Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Actually, I have found a lot of people locally think that they can put off the temple for the next life. They take the attitude of 'We'll get it done dead (vicariously) or alive' so do not worry about it. That is so silly as they are damning themselves out of blessings they can have now as a sealed family.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Sealed As A Family

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,