Scopotic Sensitivity / Irlen Syndrome

Scopotic Sensitivity / Irlen Syndrome - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 8th Mar, 2007 - 12:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Sensitivity to light
7th Mar, 2007 - 7:36pm / Post ID: #

Did you ever hear about this condition? Many kids who are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and other problems are also screen with this condition that causes them sometimes a development delay, it is sometimes categorized as a form of dyslexia. :

Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome, also known as Meares-Irlen Syndrome or Irlen Syndrome, is a broadly defined visual perceptual disorder affecting primarily reading and writing based activities. Because of this, it is sometimes categorised as a form of dyslexia. However, bestselling autistic author, Donna Williams, in her book Like Colour To The Blind wrote about her experience of tinted lenses after being diagnosed with Scotopic Sensitivity. In this book she described the lenses as enabling her to have cohesive, unfragmented vision, able to see faces, bodies and objects as a whole for the first time and reducing the extremity of experiences like meaning-blindness, face blindness, inability to learn to read facial expression and body language and the social consequences of these impairments. This lead to a worldwide raised awareness of Scotopic Sensitivity as a sensory perceptual problem common in many (but not all) people with autism and expanded awareness of the potential effects of Scotopic Sensitivity far beyond that of reading disability, also leading to awareness of fluorescent lighting on those with this perceptual disorder.

Sponsored Links:
7th Mar, 2007 - 7:44pm / Post ID: #

Syndrome Irlen Sensitivity Scopotic

I saw a programme regarding this a few weeks ago, and the children that had these lenses, found them to make a great difference to the way they saw things and perceived things. One boy even commented to the optician that he couldn't see any difference, to which the optician replied "Well, you haven't walked into the wall yet". When the producers showed the film again, you could see the boy walking down the corridor to the opticians, bumping into the wall. When he had the lenses, he again walked down the corridor, but this time he didn't even go near the wall!
Apart from this, the boys had also had problems with being able to concentrate in the classroom, because they described seeing the light as if it had 'squiggles' coming out of it. Once they had the lenses, there was no problem whatsoever with the lights.
It was very fascinating to see the difference these lenses made to the quality of the boys lives!

8th Mar, 2007 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Scopotic Sensitivity / Irlen Syndrome Health & Special Psychology

I believe my daughter has it. She was screened by a friend who has the same disorder and was trained to screen SSS. She is retired and moved here from Texas. She now volunteers at a private school and works with ADHD, ADD and dyslexia children. She started using her lenses on them and found some of them read a lot better, they were even excited about reading. Children with this disorder are not excited about reading. My daughter loves book when I read to her but when she has to read she gets frustrated misses lines and starts complaining her headsaches.
Paintingblue

> TOPIC: Scopotic Sensitivity / Irlen Syndrome

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,