Uniform Or Casual?

Uniform Casual - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 22nd Nov, 2004 - 4:10am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Dressing in the education system
Post Date: 5th Oct, 2004 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

Uniform Or Casual?

There are two arguments for the way pupils should dress in a public education system:

CASUAL - freedom of expression and the parents do not have to spend extra money for specific outfits.

UNIFORM - discipline and preparation for the work place. Parents and teachers do not have to worry what children are going to wear. The ability to identify a student.

Why dress style do you think should be within public schools?

Sponsored Links:
5th Oct, 2004 - 10:24pm / Post ID: #

Casual Uniform

Having gone to school in both Trinidad and the US, I was exposed to both systems. In Trinidad, there is a strict dress code for students, especially at the secondary schooling level. It was even to the point where on Mondays we had to wear ties, and if not, we were disciplined. The pro to this was the discipline factor and the cost factor. Discipline in having a dress code and cost in only having to purchase a few uniforms and not having to worry about buying expensive clothes for going to school. At the time I did not care that much for the dress code, but looking back at it I am glad to have had it. The con of course was not being able to express yourself by dress, since everyone had to dress the same. However, for students, this should not be an issue. Unfortunately, in the US, it is a huge issue, and usually leads to more problems than solutions, which is why I will state that having a dress code is probably in the long run a better system to have.

Post Date: 6th Oct, 2004 - 5:13am / Post ID: #

Uniform Or Casual?
A Friend

Uniform Or Casual? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I went to public school, and I went when there were strict dress codes. Only skirts and dresses for the girls, with the hems BELOW the knee, and the boys could wear jeans as long as they were clean, in one piece and pressed. Mostly the boys wore those pants that were kind of knubby and blue or black. Don't know what they called them. The shirts they wore had to be oxford shirts. Meaning: button up, either short sleeve or long sleeve. Solid color too. No polo shirts, or T-shirts, and also the boys HAD to wear undershirts. Also the girls in Jr. High and High School were not allowed to wear makeup either. It sure didn't hurt any of us either!

During my senior year in High School, the girls were finally allowed to wear Pants Suits. Remember them? The era of polyester?

My neighbors were Catholic and thus wore uniforms. They wore the same thing every day ~ no one looked richer or poorer than the others. Even though the uniforms cost more than street clothes, you wore less. Three skirts and five blouses got you through the week.

In public school the peer pressure was to wear a different outfit every day. Everyone knew I was poor because I only had three outfits! And only one pair of shoes for dress up/school!

In this day and age ~ with the children dressing as immodestly as they are and the boys wearing pants that drag down below their butts, it is most distracting in the class room. The public schools should go to uniforms. Put the emphasis back into education and not on fashion.

CASUAL - freedom of expression and the parents do not have to spend extra money for specific outfits.

Wearing uniforms would actually cost less in the long run. They would only be worn for school and not to *play* in. The *casual* or *after school* clothes would last longer too.

Post Date: 12th Oct, 2004 - 10:50pm / Post ID: #

Uniform Or Casual?
A Friend

Casual Uniform

I was raised in a poor household, yet attended a private school. There was a dress code at the school. While the dress code is supposed to make everyone appear to be equal it does little in that regard. Simple things are ever so evident even to young children. Nikes and other brand name shoes were not addressed in the dress code, all children were required to wear slacks, yet the brand of slacks also offered more than a small idea of one's financial status.

Discipline may have been improved, but I didn't notice it. In fact I recall being in more fights in the three years that I went to Catholic school than in the rest of my years of my life combined!

12th Oct, 2004 - 11:16pm / Post ID: #

Casual Uniform

Nikes and other brand name shoes were not addressed in the dress code, all children were required to wear slacks, yet the brand of slacks also offered more than a small idea of one's financial status

Rev6death, like you mentioned, this was not a strict enforced dress code, thus the ability to differentiate. When I went to school and there was a dress code, we got our uniforms; shirt, pants and shoes from the same uniform store. My senior year shoes became more relaxed and this did lead to differentiation in terms of financial stature. The key is keeping a strict dress code if one is to be enforced, or none at all, in my opinion.

13th Oct, 2004 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

Uniform Or Casual?

Nikes and other brand name shoes were not addressed in the dress code, all children were required to wear slacks, yet the brand of slacks also offered more than a small idea of one's financial status.

That's so true. I see it all the time at the school I'm working. Since the children cannot show off their clothes, they do it through the sneakers. Now, I used to think that public school's children should wear normal clothes if they want but after living 3 years in Trinidad, I think definetly these children here need a uniform. I cannot even imagine how the girls would dress to go to school if they are allow to wear casual clothes. rolleyes.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Oct, 2004 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

Uniform Or Casual?
A Friend

Uniform Casual

We have uniforms in public schools and I think it's a good idea.

Since the children cannot show off their clothes, they do it through the sneakers.

I have had many arguements with my daughter about this. She claims discrimination by her friends if she doesn't wear sneakers but my stance is that if I buy the proper shoes she will wear them. In the end I had to threaten to throw out all her shoes and send her to school barefoot if she continued to refuse to wear her school shoes. Teenagers,

Post Date: 22nd Nov, 2004 - 4:10am / Post ID: #

Uniform Or Casual?
A Friend

Uniform Casual Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

Growing up at the time when the dress policy on the west coast started, I thought uniforms were a bad idea. I do not see how a uniform can stop a kid from joining a gang out there, when you do things like that outside of school more than in. It is just another way to force free americans to do things they do not want to.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Uniform Or Casual?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,