Should I Pay For That Beer? - Page 3 of 4

QUOTE and you say "Orange juice" - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Aug, 2008 - 3:33am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
What If...
Post Date: 11th Aug, 2007 - 7:24pm / Post ID: #

Should I Pay For That Beer?
A Friend

Should I Pay For That Beer? - Page 3

I do understand where you're coming from. Where I live, however, it would be impossible to know someone for years without them knowing my religion and if they knew my religion they would already know that I don't drink. It's common knowledge here...everyone knows that Mormons don't drink and Nazarenes don't dance. Most likely, a true friend who knew me and understood my standards and values would probably ask me if it would bother me if they drank and then offer to pay for it. At that point, I would reassure them that their drinking didn't bother me and, no, I don't mind paying for it.

Sponsored Links:
11th Aug, 2007 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

Beer That Pay Should

Johnny:

Most likely, a true friend who knew me and understood my standards and values would probably ask me if it would bother me if they drank and then offer to pay for it. At that point, I would reassure them that their drinking didn't bother me and, no, I don't mind paying for it.

I think a true friend who *really* understand your beliefs and convictions (assuming yours are very strong) will surely ask those questions because they know how you feel, then if they (knowing your religious convictions) have offered to pay for their own alcoholic drinks (as your example shows) why would you tell them afterwards that you don't mind paying for it? They already offered to do it and is your opportunity to not have to pay for something that goes against your beliefs.

Post Date: 11th Aug, 2007 - 8:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should I Pay For That Beer? Studies Doctrine Mormon

The original situation JB gave was set up this way:

What if you took a friend out for lunch (you said you are sponsoring) and in the sequence of ordering he/she orders a beer... would you pay for it? Would you say that you will pay for everything else but the beer?

If I'd already offered to pay for it, I wouldn't take that back just because my friend wanted to get a beer. I offered to pay...I would pay. I don't feel that's a comprimise of my beliefs. I covenant to keep the Word of Wisdom and that is to not drink alcohol. I am not breaking that covenant by buying some for someone for whom drinking or not drinking is not a moral issue.

11th Aug, 2007 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Beer That Pay Should

Johnny, I agree with you. My reply though was in connection with your previous post and not with JB's original question(your previous post about a friend of yours knowing your religious convictions asks if you don't mind he drinks and then offers to pay for the drink and then you said you would reply by saying that you would tell them that you don't mind them drinking and you don't mind paying for it even though they offered to pay for it).

Post Date: 11th Aug, 2007 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Beer That Pay Should

To be bluntly honest, it would depend on how deep the friendship went. My closest non-member friends wouldn't expect me to pay for a beer and thus wouldn't order one. If they did order one, we'd probably have a nice fight over who was paying for it wink.gif.

13th Aug, 2007 - 3:04pm / Post ID: #

I see no moral compromise on my part in paying for a beer someone else chooses to drink as part of a meal, friend or not. Even if a friend offered to pay for the beer alone, I would say no, I will pay for the entire meal. I don't see the problem, as long as I don't drink the beer myself. I wouldn't pay the cigs, though, because that is not a part of the meal. (I know some smokers would disagree.) If someone ordered a pack of cigarettes as part of a meal, I would think they are taking advantage of a generous offer and are trying to get something for free. I would be unobtrusive about it, though. When the check came I would say, "Please put the cigarettes on a separate check."

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Aug, 2007 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Pay That Beer - Page 3

A man is no better or worse in keeping his words. If a man tells his friend that he's buying dinner and his friend orders beer, this man is binded by his word for buying his friends beer. I would buy his beer also, so my word would be untarnished. If he understands my religious beliefs he probably wouldn't order the beer.

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2008 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Pay That Beer Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

and you say "Orange juice" and your friend says, "A beer" and you immediately but in and say "I will not be paying for that". - BJ

That would be funny/awkward. I could imagine some people doing that. I would have before I figured it out. I was as anal as they get. hehehe

I have made a covenant to follow the word of wisdom, but I do not expect others not of my faith to follow this dietary restriction. - Dbackers

Always good points, Dbackers. If I were going to lunch with a vegan who told me I'll pay for your lunch if you don't buy meat, I would say "that's nice of you, But I would like to pick up your tab this time." I might buy something with meat just to emphasize the point. If I were with a Mormon, who told someone else in the group that, I might say, "Don't worry Sam, I'll cover it for you." laugh.gif

A gift isn't much of a gift with strings attached...

Would it be wrong for a Jewish or Islamic business associate to pay for my meal because I ordered Pork. I do not believe it is. I see this as an equivalent because of similar dietary restrictions in the word of wisdom. - Dbackers

We're thinking the same thing here...

I might go a little further than the rest of you. I have bought beers for others and also cigarettes. I knew at the time my strict past perception wouldn't have allowed me to do this. I would buy a beer for a less active member if they wanted and I was paying.

One thing I noticed my past self say when looking at bums on the street is, I won't give them money because they will blow it on booze and smokes. Would you loan your neighbor $50 for groceries? Would you give them a list of the groceries they could buy with the money you gave them? I don't do sugar or milk products, (generally). Should I never buy such products for others? When I give fast offerings I am most certain it goes to buying products with sugar and milk.

So, you loan or give money to your neighbors and they buy something you wouldn't buy with it. Do you harbor ill feeling toward them? Do you loan them money next time? Do you give with strings attached?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Should I Pay For That Beer?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,