Extreme Home Makeover

Extreme Home Makeover - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 1st Dec, 2009 - 11:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

23rd Apr, 2007 - 6:37am / Post ID: #

Extreme Home Makeover

This is one of those "Reality TV" programs that take folks on a sort of "rags to riches" journey.

The producers choose a needy family from a pool of (video) applicants, each with terrible trials in their lives - but also with great heart and who are doing something constructive in their communities, despite what happens in their own lives. These folks are struggling financially and emotionally, and for whatever reason, the homes they live in are in horrible shape. ABC comes in and literally tears down the house and builds a mini-mansion in it's place, complete with professionally decorated rooms for each member of the family. Some families also receive cars, some communities receive something of importance - for instance, a library refurbishing or community center facelift - but all receive this huge, fully furnished home.

In some cases, it is such a transforming event, and you can tell these families really appreciate what they've received. In other cases, I've almost had the feeling that it's a sham.

What we haven't seen yet is any kind of a "follow-up" story on any family. Personally, I'd like to see what happens to some of these families after a couple of years. Did they turn around and sell the house and all the goodies in it for a nice profit? I'm sure ABC has come kind of contract forbidding this, but I wonder? Has the house been trashed, just like the original house was? How have their lives actually changed in the aftermath of their 15 minutes of fame and the huge gift of a home, a car, and all the trimmings?

What's your take on this show?

Sponsored Links:
23rd Apr, 2007 - 12:55pm / Post ID: #

Makeover Home Extreme

I remember seeing this show or a similar one, I thought it was a very nice idea but I was taken back a bit because I thought that they over did it a little bit with the things they were providing. A lot of these families come from very poor backgrounds and I am not sure what kind of effect all these new stuff will have for them when they did not work really for it or they cannot even imagine affording those things even if they save in their lifetime.

I think it would have been nice if they could fix the existent place, decorate it and all but not extra-fancy. Yet again if they do that, it can't be called Extreme Home Makeover. wink.gif

24th Apr, 2007 - 4:54am / Post ID: #

Extreme Home Makeover Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I do agree with the point that many of these folks are so overwhelmed with what is given to them - it really IS extreme! How much more good could be done to simply improve the existing property, rather than tear it all down and start from scratch? I've seen and heard of cases where people are given a nice home, and they end up trashing it because they didn't have to work for it, so really it means less to them than if they had had to sacrifice. I really would like to see a follow-up show, to see how these people have done with their "makeover."

Post Date: 22nd Nov, 2009 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

Makeover Home Extreme

Name: NosyNearbyNeighbor

Comments: The Extreme Makeover home that was built in Flagstaff, AZ is now an absolute mess. While the sacrifice this house was built in honor of was monumental, it's appalling to see what has been done to such a beautiful home. The grounds are piled with junk to such a degree it is devaluing nearby homes. Truly the people living there now have dishonored the memory of the brave person who lost her life. They should sell the home before it's ruined completely.

Source 1: Seen with my own eyes

Post Date: 30th Nov, 2009 - 11:22am / Post ID: #

Makeover Home Extreme

Name: Arthur

Comments: [..] I was moved by the story in season 17 of extreme home make over of faith Tipton Smith. I can relate my own life with hers I'm a father of 7 grown girls I lost 2 sons in a house fire my 2 oldest daughters brothers died at birth my daughters mom died in 1985 2 weeks before we were to marry by a cross walk accident in Tennessee. [..]

1st Dec, 2009 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

Extreme Home Makeover

As we discussed in this thread, the houses they make are so big and fancy that it may have a negative effect. In some cases, the show pays for their entire mortgage but in other cases, they don't. Well, in those that they do not the families are having a very hard time paying the bills and keeping the homes. Many have lost their houses already. In the near future, ABC will change the rules which may be means the houses won't be as fancy.

international QUOTE
The team from ABC's heartwarming and popular reality series "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" may give worthy families a whole new house. But yet another family who appeared on the show learned that they don't guarantee you'll keep that house forever.

The Wofford family of Encinitas, California, got their house from the show five years ago, but now claim that after struggling for two years to pay their bills, they're facing foreclosure . Dr. Brian Wofford, a widower and father of eight, explained the crisis, telling 10News: "A lot of people think when you get the house, you get the mortgage. Well, you don't."

The Woffords aren't the first family featured on the show to face serious financial problems after their home makeover. The Harper family of Atlanta, who received the show's biggest house to date, along with the money to pay taxes on it for 25 years, famously faced foreclosure last year after taking out an ill-advised $450,000 loan using the house as equity. And at least four other "Extreme Makeover" recipient families have had to sell or lose the homes they won on the show. ABC is probably considering changing the show's rules (maybe the houses don't need to be quite so lavish, for example) to help avoid such disasters in the future...

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Extreme Home Makeover

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,