Definition Of A Christian In The Bible?

Definition Christian Bible - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 28th Apr, 2007 - 4:43am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 24th Apr, 2007 - 11:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Id just like to pose a question. Is there a definition of a Christian in the Bible? What are the qualifications required to be a Christian in the Bible?

I looked over the board and didnt find this question addressed anywhere, I apologise if this has been dealt with.

Sponsored Links:
25th Apr, 2007 - 7:36am / Post ID: #

Bible The Christian Of Definition

The early Christians weren't actually called Christians in the beginning, but "disciples" or "saints" as followers of Jesus Christ and members of the early church.

Acts 11:26 - And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The difficulty with this question is that there isn't just one chapter devoted to "How to become a Christian" in the Bible, nor is there one book describing the process of conversion and each ordinance required. The answers are found in many different places, and must actually be put together piece by piece.

The first steps to becoming a Christian, as I understand it, are these:

~Belief in Jesus Christ, that He is the Only Begotten Son of the Father, as our Savior and Redeemer from death. This precedes all others. Then:

~Faith - Romans 1:17; Galatians 3:23-29 (and dozens more)
~Repentance - Acts 2:38; Acts 3:19 (and dozens more)
~Baptism by immersion for the remission of sin - John 3:3-5; Romans 6:3-6; Acts 22:16 (and dozens more)
~Receiving the Holy Ghost - John 20:22; Acts 2:38

These first few are essential to become a Christian, and then comes the rest of your life:

~Endure to the end - James 5:11; Mark 24:13

There is a conversion process (Matt. 18: 3; Acts 3: 19), one of leaving behind the sinful life and submitting one's will to God, literally becoming a new person in Christ. Love one another (John 13: 34-35). Keep the commandments (1 Jn. 5: 2-3). Perform good works of charity and service (1 Cor. 13: 1-4, 8, 13 and dozens more). Look forward with hope (Col. 1:23).

These are just a sampling of the concepts of Christian ideology from the Bible. There is so much more, it literally takes the Bible itself to encompass the whole of it.

Rather off topic, but...
The sweet peace and joy that these simple steps bring is indescribable.

I'm sure that someone with greater knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong, and provide more detailed answers.

Post Date: 26th Apr, 2007 - 1:32am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Definition Of A Christian In The Bible? Revealed Bible The

Thank you very much for a very impressive reply. Your handling of the subject shows great insight on your part may God Bless you.

The reason I bring up this question is I attended a course on Christianity called the "Alpha Course" which aims to introduce christianity in a bit more depth to the uninitiated.

After the course I was asked if I felt I was a "Christian". However since I felt that many definitions of Christian come from Creeds like The Apostles" Creed or The Nicene Creed which I feel are artificial I couldn't give a "Yes" or "No" answer.

Perhaps there isn't a clear definition of the word "Christian" in the Bible. In essence what I want to know is how is one qualified to be a follower of the Teachings of the Messiah Biblically.

Belief in Jesus Christ, that He is the Only Begotten Son of the Father, as our Savior and Redeemer from death. This precedes all others.

Is there a Biblical justification for this? Is it essential to have all of these beliefs to be a true Christian. Is it possible to believe that Jesus Christ is a chosen Messenger and intermediary from God and take "Begotten Son" in a metaphorical sense?. So for example Jehovahs Witnesses or Unitarianists are Christians or not?

By Savior and Redeemer is it valid if I believe he can intercede between me and God in order for my sins to be Forgiven or do I have to believe Jesus himself will forgive me with no required authorization from "God the Father"?

Also can you expand on the phrase "from death". I'm not sure is this alluring to the idea of Original Sin?

The other steps seem pretty natural and are in harmony with Islamic faith.

26th Apr, 2007 - 5:22am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Karbala)
Perhaps there isn't a clear definition of the word "Christian" in the Bible. In essence what I want to know is how is one qualified to be a follower of the Teachings of the Messiah Biblically.
Essentially, you are qualified if you believe that Jesus is the Christ. In following that belief, one would want to take the other steps necessary (ordinances) to become a "saint" or "disciple," I.e. "Christian."

The term "Christian" encompasses several different belief systems that all have this one thing in common: that Jesus was the promised Christ, the Messiah prophesied about in the Old Testament, the Only Begotten Son of God the Father in the flesh. So, yes, the Jehovah's Witnesses, Unitarians, Baptists, Episcopalians, Catholics, Mormons, Presbyterians, Christian Scientists, etc., are all classified as "Christian." (Although there are arguments by some that others don't belong, but that's another topic.) How each sect practices their Christian beliefs is all a matter of interpretation by their founding leadership.

Is it possible to believe that Jesus Christ is a chosen Messenger and intermediary from God and take "Begotten Son" in a metaphorical sense?. So for example Jehovahs Witnesses or Unitarianists are Christians or not?

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), also known as Mormons, I have a particular set of beliefs that not all other Christian sects believe. However, I tried to answer your question through what I think are generally accepted Christian values, and with references only from the Bible (LDS have other scriptures) because that is how you posed your question. We believe that Jesus Christ is the literal Son of God, nothing metaphorical about it. There are a multitude of verses in the Bible on this topic:
Luke 1:30-35
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
  31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. ...
  ...35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

QUOTE (Karbala)
By Savior and Redeemer is it valid if I believe he can intercede between me and God in order for my sins to be Forgiven or do I have to believe Jesus himself will forgive me with no required authorization from "God the Father"?

Many Christians believe in the Nicene Creed of the Trinity, that God, the Holy Ghost, and Jesus Christ are One Being. As LDS, we do not. So, according to my beliefs, forgiveness comes from God the Father through Jesus Christ as our intermediary.
Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
(and many more like this)

QUOTE (Karbala)
Also can you expand on the phrase "from death". I'm not sure is this alluring to the idea of Original Sin?

No, not the Original Sin concept, which as LDS we don't believe that we are born with sin - we are born innocent and pure. However, we do acknowledge that for Adam and Eve's transgression in the Garden of Eden, all mankind must suffer death (separation of body and spirit).
Genesis 2:17 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
This was not just for Adam, but all mankind.

Christ's atonement and resurrection provides us all with the hope of resurrection after death (permanent reuniting of the body and spirit).
1 Corinthians 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

So we are saved from death through the resurrection.

Rather off topic, but...
I'm trying to be very careful about my sources and ideas, because I don't want particular LDS beliefs to overshadow any general Christian beliefs. If I've overstepped that, I apologize. I'm trying to be as fair and clear as possible, using only Biblical sources and not other LDS resources.

Post Date: 27th Apr, 2007 - 3:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

As long as you source JUST from the Bible there shouldn't be a problem LDS or not.

So, according to my beliefs, forgiveness comes from God the Father through Jesus Christ as our intermediary.

Great news since it is identical to my belief. You mention there are more verses like Romans 8:34. I would love to read them if you would like to mention them.

we don't believe that we are born with sin - we are born innocent and pure.

Fabulous. Original Sin is a doctrine I have always felt uncomfortable with. I think sense has prevailed in your interpretation.

Can't Luke 1:35 be interpreted metaphorically? In countless places elsewhere in the Bible others are called the "Sons" of God or "Firstborns" of God or "Children of God". I have no problem calling the Messiah the Son of God as long as it is metaphorical.

Exodus 20:2-3
2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
3 "You shall have no other gods before me.

For example David is called the Son of God in Psalm 2:7

Psalm 2:7 I will proclaim the decree of the LORD :
He said to me, "You are my Son;
today I have become your Father.

So far I think I actually conform to your definition of a Christian apart from taking the phrase "Son of God" literally.

Rather off topic, but...
For that amazing last point you earnt my first ever charm

Reconcile Edited: Karbala on 27th Apr, 2007 - 3:15pm

27th Apr, 2007 - 5:51pm / Post ID: #

Karbala may I suggest you read Acts 11, I think it would help you understand the meaning of what it take to become Christian. But please remember this is only the first step to a Christian life.

The only qualification to become a Christian is the willingness to accept Jesus as your Saviour and then attempt to start acting more like he did when he was on earth.

Babtism, in filling of the holy Ghost ect will come on its own accord in its own time and can be argued as to what point in these steps you become Christian. I believe it is after you open your heart and let god in.

To answer your heart felt answer I suggest finding some one you trust and do a bible study with them or try one that is online. It will help you understand how the bible is laid out where to find things and give a start to the insight of what the Christian history is.

I always find if I pray then read the bible many answers I seek are found.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 28th Apr, 2007 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Definition Of Christian The Bible

Karbala may I suggest you read Acts 11

I read Acts 11 as it was mentioned in the first reply. It seems to describe the first converts to the church from amongst the gentiles. However there isn't really a clear cut formula of becoming a christian.

The only qualification to become a Christian is the willingness to accept Jesus as your Saviour and then attempt to start acting more like he did when he was on earth.

Ok. I have no problem with accepting The Messiah as my saviour if it conforms to the LDS interpretation as Farseer pointed out.
As LDS, we do not. So, according to my beliefs, forgiveness comes from God the Father through Jesus Christ as our intermediary.
I also have no problem emulating his actions according to the Bible, anyone with a human heart can recognise the God given humanity in him.

So according to the bible am I christian? undecided.gif

I was lucky enough to be approached by a christian in the street looking to spread the message. I instantly struck up a friendship, attended a introductory Christian course called the "Alpha Course" and since then have been doing regular bible study with him. However there are some questions he seems unable to give me a satisfactory reply to (some of which Farseer solved with her answers).

28th Apr, 2007 - 4:43am / Post ID: #

Definition Of Christian The Bible The Bible Revealed

QUOTE (Karbala)
You mention there are more verses like Romans 8:34. I would love to read them if you would like to mention them.

I'm happy to do so. However, it's actually a different subject (Christ as our intermediary, rather than the bible definition of a Christian). I've started a new thread to discuss it HERE.

Rather off topic, but...
I'm not actually a Bible machine! But I have a great resource in the searchable scriptures at the official LDS website - open to all. You can search by Old Testament and/or New Testament. www.lds.org Click on the "Gospel Library" link.

I'm very glad that I was able to answer your questions. Please do search for other topics here in the Forum you may have questions about. There is a Studies of Latter-day Saints section, also, if you would like more information there.

QUOTE (Karbala)
Can't Luke 1:35 be interpreted metaphorically? In countless places elsewhere in the Bible others are called the "Sons" of God or "Firstborns" of God or "Children of God". I have no problem calling the Messiah the Son of God as long as it is metaphorical.

We are all spirit children of God. However, Jesus Christ is the literal offspring of God in the flesh, the Only Begotten Son.

John 1: 14, 18
        14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
            "¢  "¢  "¢
        18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 3: 16, 18
        16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
            "¢  "¢  "¢
        18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned lready, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

1 Jn. 4: 9
        9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Definition Of A Christian In The Bible?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,