Measure Of Discipline Should Trinidad Schools Use?

Measure Discipline Trinidad Schools Use - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 16th Jun, 2007 - 5:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 3rd Jun, 2007 - 3:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What do you think are measures that are acceptable for discipline today.
We must remember that Capital Punishment was abolished and therefore, the measures of discipline are limited at best.
Do detentions work? Lines? Additional assignments?

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jun, 2007 - 7:07pm / Post ID: #

Use Schools Trinidad Discipline Measure

QUOTE (kaisofan @ 3-Jun 07, 11:41 AM)
We must remember that Capital Punishment was abolished and therefore, the measures of discipline are limited at best.

spock.gif Capital punishment? I think you meant Corporal punishment since Capital punishment is the death penalty.

I am not sure why you said that since corporal punishment was stopped the measures of discipline are limited at best. I won't say so. I want to believe that the majority of mature, qualified, experienced and most important: non-primitive teachers would try to use other discipline methods before even trying to raise their hand to children. It was and it is (because still in use in many schools) such a barbaric method. It makes Trinidad look like we really in the jungle (based on the behavior of some, I won't blame whoever thinks that).

Methods of discipline depend largely of the age of the children. Small kids are very impressionable, usually bad or undesirable behavior is the result of problems (abuse, learning disabilities, ADHD, ADD, etc). It makes no sense to punish a kid for something he/she cannot control. Kids with repetitive behavioral issues need to be diagnosed and treated.

I believe those children who distract the rest can be given special assignments to keep them busy without embarrassing them in front of the rest of the students. (some Trini teachers love to embarrass kids for some strange reason). I heard teachers call students all kind of names: dumb, idiots, stupid, low lives, savages, you name it. That's verbal abuse. No wonder we have so many kids with such low self-esteem.

Post Date: 3rd Jun, 2007 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Measure Of Discipline Should Trinidad Schools Use? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I worked in a school once and i remember having to deal with some very very very naughty kids. I found that most of the time they would stop if they recieved a little attention. If they didnt there was usually some underlying cause which you would have to address by pulling them to one side and talking to them.

If there is one group of people I really admire its teachers who are interested and passionate about their students. I cant think of anything which is more blessed and rewarding then teaching. A teacher who is concerned about his/her student is worth more to me than a thousand doctors. Teachers may not realise but they are probably the biggest influences on children after their parents. Hence they need to be very sensetive when dealing with children.

Post Date: 4th Jun, 2007 - 8:12am / Post ID: #

A Friend

LDS_forever, can you kindly outline some 'other discipline methods' which you have used with primary school students and if possible please describe the scenarios for which they became necessary.

Thanks

4th Jun, 2007 - 12:31pm / Post ID: #

Amzz, sorry but I am a Secondary School teacher but as a mom of a child with ADHD I can tell you, you could use in your class a system of tokens rewarding good behavior without necessarily punishing the undesirable ones. Most kids like rewards so they try very hard to do their best and it also helps them boost their self-esteem.

Post Date: 4th Jun, 2007 - 9:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

(embarassed grin)
Yes, I meant corporal punishment. I know that beating is not the answer and have only started teaching recently. In fact, I teach the older boys (six form), so the corporal punishment would not have worked.
I have found that whatever decision is taken regarding discipline should be seen to be fair and should suit the "crime" and if given to one should be given to all. Credibility would be lost if one got punished and another one did not receive the same punishment with the same circumstances.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Jun, 2007 - 2:44am / Post ID: #

Measure Discipline Trinidad Schools Use

Beating a child is not discipline, it just teaches them to hate. A child that gives such trouble that would warrant rage in someone to beat him with a stick or ruler only shows me that:

1. The teacher needs to get a grip
2. The child and those who are the child's guardians need investigative visits from a social worker.

The big problem I see with wayward children in the system is they bring to school what they are exposed to or learn from home. You cannot beat 'home' out of a child.

16th Jun, 2007 - 5:04am / Post ID: #

Measure Discipline Trinidad Schools Use Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

The best way to discipline a child is the reward and punish system. Reward the good deeds and punish the bad ones. Sounds easy doesn't it? Then why is it not used in good ole Trinidad? Well I know of some very dedicated teachers who use this system, especially in the infant department. You ever notice that most problems occur when the children leave the infant department? Now in years gone by teachers used the punish the bad deeds and wasn't really rewarding the good ones, hence we had teachers beating the life out of children to learn. Spell one word wrong and you got a stroke or two, along with verbal abuse. Get all right and you are told nothing, you may get a well done or a very good signed in your book and that was it. Some teachers made you stand up and the class applauded you. Now that is a measly reward at best. With this system pupils did well maybe mostly out of fear but they did well. Fast forward some years and corporal punishment was banned overnight and now we have students running the schools. Going back to the topic though, another system that works wonders for me, is rules but with a slight difference. Let the pupils come up with the rules and the punishment for breaking them. You will be amazed how their rules will be what you are looking for. Most pupils because of past experiences will say to beat as punishment for breaking the rules. This is where the teacher comes in, suggest other forms of punishment like no recess for stealing a child's lunch or buying back his lunch. When the pupils come up with their list they normally follow it. The teacher just has to make sure it is followed at all times and for all children, not only for the trouble makers. Hope this helps. I look forward to further discussions.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Measure Of Discipline Should Trinidad Schools Use?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,