U. S. Presidential Debate - In Spanish?

U S Presidential Debate Spanish - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 7th Aug, 2007 - 2:51pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

7th Aug, 2007 - 2:41pm / Post ID: #

U. S. Presidential Debate - In Spanish?

Presidential debates in Spanish? Sí.

If it was good enough for YouTube shouldn't it be good enough for Univisión? The omnipresent video sharing site made headlines when it partnered with CNN to broadcast a presidential debate last month. Now Univisión plans to make its own history by airing the first U.S. presidential debates in Spanish Sept. 9 and 16 in Miami. Questions at the live debate would be simultaneously translated into English.

But there are, naturally, some issues.

Jorge Mursuli, executive director of Mi Familia Vota/Democracia USA and vice president of People for the American Way, raised the issue during a "Town Hall" meeting I attended on "The Impact of the Emerging Immigrant Vote on the 2008 Election." Apparently, Hillary Clinton has declined to attend the Univisión debate while Barack Obama is thinking about it. Bill Richardson and Chris Dodd have said sí. (The latter two would have an upper hand since they speak Spanish.)

The Miami Herald reported on Thursday that John McCain "became the first and only Republican to agree" to the Sept. 16 debate. Mitt Romney has said no thanks.

So what should we make of all this?

https://blogs.chron.com/immigration/archive...dential_de.html

Very interesting. I'm actually kind of surprised that this hasn't been brought up in prior elections. However, with legal immigrants (of hispanic/latino descent) at something like 6 million, and illegals at near 12 million, it almost makes sense. It's certainly a brilliant political move by Univision to promote issues affecting Spanish-speaking people.

On the other hand: This IS an American presidential election, and this IS an English-speaking country, and everyone who votes has to be a U.S. citizen and speak and read English. I think the Powers That Be will be watching very closely.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
7th Aug, 2007 - 2:51pm / Post ID: #

Spanish - Debate Presidential S U

Questions at the live debate would be simultaneously translated into English.

What? What a non-sense is this? We are speaking about US Presidential Debate NOT Mexico, Colombia or Argentina Presidential Debate! I have no problem of simultaneous translation from [b]English to Spanish of this debate but not the other way around.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

> TOPIC: U. S. Presidential Debate - In Spanish?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,